Campagnolo cassette in Shimano drive train

I have a complete shimano drive train and would like to know what
differences I will notice if I use a campy cassette. I understand
Shimano have the Hyperdrive system and the chain engages the sprocket
you are shifting to before it fully leaves the sprocket it is on. Am I
going to lose this?

Thanks,
Richard

> I have a complete shimano drive train and would like to know what
> differences I will notice if I use a campy cassette. I understand
> Shimano have the Hyperdrive system and the chain engages the sprocket
> you are shifting to before it fully leaves the sprocket it is on. Am I
> going to lose this?

The real problems are twofold:

1) with some special exceptions, the cog spacing will be different and
the Shimano shifters should not easily shift the Campy cassette

2) a Campy cassette requires a Campy hub

Campy cassettes also have Hyperglide-like shaped teeth and cog features,
so the shifting should be similar.

If this is an effort to use a Campy wheel on your bike, then you can
either buy spacer kits to change Campy cassettes to the same spacing as
Shimano drivetrains, or for many third party wheels you can replace the
freehub body with either a Shimano or Campy version.

Neither solution is especially cheap, but both need only be bought once,
and can be worth it to make use of special wheels.

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I have a complete shimano drive train and would like to know what
> differences I will notice if I use a campy cassette. I understand
> Shimano have the Hyperdrive system and the chain engages the sprocket
> you are shifting to before it fully leaves the sprocket it is on. Am I
> going to lose this?
>
> Thanks,
> Richard

Check out http://jtekengineering.com/shiftmate.htm

Tim McTeague

> If this is an effort to use a Campy wheel on your bike

This is what I was thinking of doing. There are some nice looking
wheels on ebay but they have campy cassettes. The seller said the hub
would need changing to fit a shimano cassette whereas I had hoped the
freehub body could be changed as you mention for third party wheels.
However these are campy wheels so I guess changing the freehub body
can't be done.