campagnolo cassette pawl spring

Tim Woodall

Guest
Investigating why my (old) campag 8 speed cassette hub wasn't running smoothly I discovered that one
of the pawl springs had broken. The other two springs don't look too healthy either, appearing
slightly rusty. In addition the O-ring has stretched (presumably allowing the salty water in over
the winter)

I cleaned out the hub earlier in the year so the broken spring might just be hamfistedness when I
reassembled it so the other two springs might be ok.

I've found http://www.branfordbike.com/campy/campy.html which sells the springs and O-ring. Does
anybody know any UK site that sells the springs at least?

Or will I do better getting a new hub (or wheel)? Am I going to end up having to upgrade almost
everything?

Regards,

Tim.

Tim Woodall wrote:
> Investigating why my (old) campag 8 speed cassette hub wasn't running smoothly I discovered that
> one of the pawl springs had broken. The other two springs don't look too healthy either, appearing
> slightly rusty. In addition the O-ring has stretched (presumably allowing the salty water in over
> the winter)
>
> I cleaned out the hub earlier in the year so the broken spring might just be hamfistedness when I
> reassembled it so the other two springs might be ok.
>
> I've found http://www.branfordbike.com/campy/campy.html which sells the springs and O-ring. Does
> anybody know any UK site that sells the springs at least?
>
> Or will I do better getting a new hub (or wheel)? Am I going to end up having to upgrade almost
> everything?
>
> Regards,
>
> Tim.

Mercian Cycles (Derby) or Whiskers (Hertford area) should be able to provide. There is a Campagnolo
main agent in the UK, but I forget who it is now. A few years ago it was Mercian.

Pete

interchange 12 for 21 to reply

Tim Woodall wrote:
> Investigating why my (old) campag 8 speed cassette hub wasn't running smoothly I discovered that
> one of the pawl springs had broken. The other two springs don't look too healthy either, appearing
> slightly rusty. In addition the O-ring has stretched (presumably allowing the salty water in over
> the winter)
>
> I cleaned out the hub earlier in the year so the broken spring might just be hamfistedness when I
> reassembled it so the other two springs might be ok.
>
> I've found http://www.branfordbike.com/campy/campy.html which sells the springs and O-ring. Does
> anybody know any UK site that sells the springs at least?

Email or phone these companies: http://www.parker-international.co.uk/components.htm
http://www.btinternet.com/~merciancycleslimited/ http://www.sdeals.com/system/index.html

Alternatively, could find a second-hand hub for parts.

> Or will I do better getting a new hub (or wheel)?

Maybe it would be a good idea to cut your losses if hub bearings are dodgy as well, etc.......

> Am I going to end up having to upgrade almost everything?

No, you could get a 9*-speed hub and respace cassette for 8-speed if you wish. There would also be
the advantage of more and cheaper cassettes (Veloce) - and lighter weight and easier servicing if
getting Centaur+.

* All current Campag hubs take both 9 and 10sp cassettes.

~PB

> There is a Campagnolo main agent in the UK, but I forget who it is now.

Select Cycles. Has anyone here used them? Wot R they like?

~PB