Campagnolo cassette with Shimano shifters

Gazzza

Aug 5, 2006
Hiya all. I have recently purchased a wheelset. Campagnolo Shamals. 10 speed record cassette. I want to run these wheels on 2 bikes both equipped with shimano ultegra 9 speed. Is this possible and how? Thank's in advance for any help :)

Gazzza said:
Hiya all. I have recently purchased a wheelset. Campagnolo Shamals. 10 speed record cassette. I want to run these wheels on 2 bikes both equipped with shimano ultegra 9 speed. Is this possible and how? Thank's in advance for any help :)
This seems like a question you probably should have asked before buying...:confused:

You could probably buy a Shimano version of the freehub and replace the Campy one that comes with the rear wheel. This assumes that the current freehubs will fit a Shamal wheel, which I remember being eliminated from campy's lineup quite a few years ago. There is a new 2007 Shamal. Is that what you bought?

Gazzza said:
You can try a Jtek shiftmate from Sheldon as is so often the case
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/shiftmate.html

or try wheels manufacturing for a set of conversion spacers

http://www.wheelsmfg.com/products.php?cat=shiftconv&prod=shiftconv

Gazzza said:
Three good options and a 4th poor (but cheap) one that I can think of:
1. Replace freehub with a shimano compatible freehub. Contact a Campagnolo savvy LBS or some online companies If you can get it, it will probably cost $90-100.
2. Respace 9 cogs of the campy 10s cassette to 9s shimano spacing. The special set of spacers are made by Wheels Manufacturing and are available directly from them or by special order from your LBS and some online retailers-about $35-40.
3. Get a Campy 9s cassette and use a shiftmate (from www.jtekengineering.com) with the Campy 9s cassette and your 9s shifters. You will only be able to use 9 cogs of the 10 because of the shifters. $35 for the Shiftmate and about $60 for a Campy Veloce 9s cassette.
4. Stick the wheel on your 9s bike and try to get it to work as is. You would only be able to use 9 of the 10 cogs, but some drivetrains will have enough slop to tolerate the mismatch with adequate performance. The intercog spacing difference between shimano 9s and Campy is 0.2mm and if you center the shifting in the middle cog, the small amount of mismatch may be tolerable. At best it won't be perfect but may be tolerable. Cost: nothing additional, but you may need a 10 chain, as the shimano 9s chain may be a bit too narrow.

Many thank's for your advice much appreiciated. A few ideas to work on I will let you guys know how I get on.