Campagnolo Centaur

Triplecentury

Jun 16, 2003
Back in 1988 I purchased a bicycle with a Campy Athena group. I believe that it was one of the first Campy index-shifting groups. To make a long story short, I ended up putting in an Ultegra rear derraileur and shifters and Dura Ace freewheel to make it work.

I'm shopping for a new bike and I'm now told that Campy has the indexing gig dialed in. Has any one used the Centaur 10 speed/triple group? Any problems? I don't like to tweak my gear before every ride.

I have a Bianchi Eros with a Veloce/Mirage component combo. The derailleurs are both Mirage, and the cassette/freehub are Veloce. Shifters are Mirage. I've only had the bike for 4 months, but I put in about 100 mi. per week and have had no trouble.

Campy's workmanship is flawless. Shimano is a better price point, though.

Jazzman

I'm using Centaur 20 speed, but on a weird bike with awkward cable runs (http://www.airnimal.com/airnimal.html). As long as you don't get water in the cables, which is really easy, it seems to work. It's done less than 1000 miles, and I'm told it will wear in, but on this bike at least, the shifting is nowhere near as smooth or light as Shimano 105 (with Chorus/Dura-Ace derailleurs). I'm not convinced by the indexless front derailleur, but you'll get that whichever Campag groupset you use.

Try and get high-end 9 speed Campy : the cassette, chain & chainring will last much longer plus you can still use 9 speed Shimano cassette wheels which will still index fine. Don't forget if you are offered Daytona this is AKA Centaur before they changed the name due to some copyright problem i think. Yes the early Campag Synchro indexing was horrific but now the clean lines of Campy ergopower levers plus their serviceability makes them a logical alternative to the big S.

I have a Campy Daytona on my Ridley bike. It's 3 years and 17000 Km old now, and had never a problem with it.
I ordered a new bike yesterday, with a Centaur group, because it is the replacement name for the Daytona.
I think it's a very good choice.

Many thanks to all of you for your comments and advice. I did not realize that the Centaur was a friction set-up for the front. That might be a good choice as I've heard several people complain that they occaisonally drop the chain between the inner chainring and the frame.

It it nice to know that Campy finally got their act together. They were the unquestioned leader in the 70's to mid 80's.