Campagnolo chain replacement



D

Donga

Guest
I swapped from Shimano to Campag (Chorus 10) recently and need to
replace my chain. I usually do this job myself, using chains bought
over the net for the usual saving. They say you need a special tool for
Campag chains and the tool costs a bomb. Apparently Wipperman or Mavic
chains don't need tools, or you can buy 'Powerlinks' for Campag chains.
Can anyone give me some advice on this please? What is the best
approach?

Thanks muchly.

Pete
 

flyingdutch

New Member
Feb 8, 2004
5,700
0
0
Donga said:
I swapped from Shimano to Campag (Chorus 10) recently and need to
replace my chain. I usually do this job myself, using chains bought
over the net for the usual saving. They say you need a special tool for
Campag chains and the tool costs a bomb. Apparently Wipperman or Mavic
chains don't need tools, or you can buy 'Powerlinks' for Campag chains.
Can anyone give me some advice on this please? What is the best
approach?

Thanks muchly.

Pete

considered a DuraAce 10spd chain? (god. did i just type that???)
Cheaper, easier, but same(ish). works fine apparently...
 
D

Donga

Guest
flyingdutch wrote:

>
> considered a DuraAce 10spd chain? (god. did i just type that???)
> Cheaper, easier, but same(ish). works fine apparently...
>
>

Interesting thought. I've never seen this tip before in searching the
net. The pins are the same spacing but the Campag chain is slightly
wider. Any direct verification that it works? Cheers.

Pete
 
R

rickster

Guest
I bought a "Nemesis" brand chain from BikePro in Surrey Hills (Melb)
which included the "tool-free" removable link for $ 50. The non-hollow
pin was only $ 40. I can't complain about them at all.
 
S

Steve

Guest
"rickster" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
>I bought a "Nemesis" brand chain from BikePro in Surrey Hills (Melb)
> which included the "tool-free" removable link for $ 50. The non-hollow
> pin was only $ 40. I can't complain about them at all.
>



I think you will find the Tour of Spain (Vuelta) was won on a KMC 10 sp
chain on a Campy setup, & lets face it you throw them away twice as quick as
earlier 8/9 drivechains so no point being too picky ... Ultegra & 105 10
speed chains seem a good alternative too.
Steve
IDEAL
 
G

gumby

Guest
How many kays do you get from a ten speed Campy chain? Assuming lubing
the chain generously?
Steven
 
D

Donga

Guest
gumby wrote:
> How many kays do you get from a ten speed Campy chain? Assuming lubing
> the chain generously?
> Steven


I've done 7,500km and the stretch is right on 1/16th" over 12". I hope
I haven't left it too long and damaged the cassette. I lube it well.
P
 
D

Donga

Guest
gumby wrote:
> How many kays do you get from a ten speed Campy chain? Assuming lubing
> the chain generously?
> Steven


I've done 7,500km and the stretch is right on 1/16th" over 12". I hope
I haven't left it too long and damaged the cassette. I lube it well.
P
 
D

Donga

Guest
Thanks Rickster for the tip on Nemesis chains. BikePro sent me one next
day in Brisbane for $48 landed. It works nicely. :)