Campagnolo chain whip??

Neal wrote:
> "Michael Press" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>In article <[email protected]>,
>>John Forrest Tomlinson <[email protected]> wrote:

>>>Are you saying you can remove a lockring without a special tool? With
>>>what? You bare hands? An allen key? I don't get it.

>>>Wow. You really just tighten it wih your fingers? That wouldn't work
>>>for me. I can understand a recommendation to not put a lot of force
>>>into the lockring tool, but no way could I get it tight enough with my
>>>fingers. The thing would come loose.

>>>I had a lockring come loose in a ride perhaps twice in that period of
>>>time, and a saw it happen to another cyclist this past Sunday.

>>I use the tool to turn the lock ring but use no wrench nor
>>chain whip; simply hand tighten. They come off the same
>>way.
>>
>>--
>>Michael Press

> Does this apply to Campy cassettes? I know on my Campy cassette I did not use a
> torque wrench on the lock ring and it started to make noise after about 500
> miles. When I tightened it to the Campy specs of 35 lbs. the noise immediately
> stopped.
>
> Neal

It's alays better to tighten it to Campy specs with a torque wrench, but
most people don't use a torque wrench and tighten the lockring way to
tight.

Lou
--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu

In article <[email protected]>,
"Neal" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Michael Press" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > John Forrest Tomlinson <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> Are you saying you can remove a lockring without a special tool? With
> >> what? You bare hands? An allen key? I don't get it.

> >> Wow. You really just tighten it wih your fingers? That wouldn't work
> >> for me. I can understand a recommendation to not put a lot of force
> >> into the lockring tool, but no way could I get it tight enough with my
> >> fingers. The thing would come loose.

> >> I had a lockring come loose in a ride perhaps twice in that period of
> >> time, and a saw it happen to another cyclist this past Sunday.

> > I use the tool to turn the lock ring but use no wrench nor
> > chain whip; simply hand tighten. They come off the same
> > way.
> >
> > --
> > Michael Press

> Does this apply to Campy cassettes? I know on my Campy cassette I did not use a
> torque wrench on the lock ring and it started to make noise after about 500
> miles. When I tightened it to the Campy specs of 35 lbs. the noise immediately
> stopped.

Shimano. Apologies for the confusion.

--
Michael Press

On 2005-09-13, David L. Johnson <[email protected]> wrote:

> Why do you want to use the whip on the smaller cogs? I only have chain
> whips with 1/8" chain, and have not had any problem. I wrap it around the
> largest cog.

Some of us still use freewheels and need the whip to remove the smallest
cog.

--

John ([email protected])

On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 05:05:08 +0000, John Thompson wrote:

> Some of us still use freewheels and need the whip to remove the smallest
> cog.

I've done that. But this is OK with a 1/8" chain chain-whip, which was
the original debate (using a too-wide chainwhip on 9 or 10-speed cassettes).
--

David L. Johnson

__o | What is objectionable, and what is dangerous about extremists is
_`\(,_ | not that they are extreme, but that they are intolerant.
(_)/ (_) | --Robert F. Kennedy