Campagnolo Chorus BB question

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Tony, Jan 28, 2003.

  1. Tony

    Tony Guest

    I have a Chorus BB '98-99 model, is it compatible with current 9spd from any of the following
    Xenon,Mirage or Veloce Any advice would be great

    Tags:

  2. Jeff Martin

    Jeff Martin Guest

    I don't think it is. The Chorus uses a 102 mm axel and the others use on that is 111mm I think
    "Tony" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I have a Chorus BB '98-99 model, is it compatible with current 9spd from
    any
    > of the following Xenon,Mirage or Veloce Any advice would be great

  3. Tony

    Tony Guest

    Thanks, but will the crank spider hit the frame? "Jeff Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...
    > I don't think it is. The Chorus uses a 102 mm axel and the others use on that is 111mm I think
    > "Tony" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > I have a Chorus BB '98-99 model, is it compatible with current 9spd from
    > any
    > > of the following Xenon,Mirage or Veloce Any advice would be great

  4. Tony

    Tony Guest

    The reason I am asking this question is basically the BB is stuck in the frame, courtesy of my local
    bikehsop that used 'Loctite' and therefore can now not be removed

    "Tony" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Thanks, but will the crank spider hit the frame? "Jeff Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > message news:[email protected]...
    > > I don't think it is. The Chorus uses a 102 mm axel and the others use
    on
    > > that is 111mm I think "Tony" <[email protected]com> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > I have a Chorus BB '98-99 model, is it compatible with current 9spd
    from
    > > any
    > > > of the following Xenon,Mirage or Veloce Any advice would be great

  5. Garry N

    Garry N Guest

    Tony, The spider may not hit the frame, but the chainrings will. You really need a 111mm BB for
    Centuer and below. Try the non-drive side cup again. Once that cup is out, the other side will as
    well. Use a fresh tool and use a crank bolt with a washer to hold the tool into the splines. Make
    sure to loosen the crank bolt once the tool starts to move. Remember, use leaverage... Hope this
    helps, Garry

    BTW: If you need a 111mm BB, I have some Campy ones at a good price.

    "Tony" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I have a Chorus BB '98-99 model, is it compatible with current 9spd from
    any
    > of the following Xenon,Mirage or Veloce Any advice would be great

  6. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "Tony" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > The reason I am asking this question is basically the BB is stuck in the frame, courtesy of my
    > local bikehsop that used 'Loctite' and therefore can now not be removed

    Locktite will break down when you heat it with a hair dryer.

  7. << I have a Chorus BB '98-99 model, is it compatible with current 9spd from any of the following
    Xenon,Mirage or Veloce Any advice would be great

    No sir-the Chorus and Record, starting in 1995, are 102mm spindle length and the others you mention
    are 111mm..

  8. Richard Chan

    Richard Chan Guest

    "Tony" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > The reason I am asking this question is basically the BB is stuck in the frame, courtesy of my
    > local bikehsop that used 'Loctite' and therefore can now not be removed

    Been there, done that (several times).

    Use a long enough threaded bolt (a QR will do but I recommend something that absolutley won't slip),
    locked down the splined removal tool onto the fixed cup. Use a longish cresent (know which way the
    jaws should be right? There is the stationary jaw and an adjustable jaw.) or a box wrench, something
    in the order of ~14", use a > 16oz hammer and tap sharply at the end of wrench to loosen. I assume
    your stuck BB is ITL so it must be loosen counter-clockwise! It will work. If you are a pro or a
    perfectionist, buy a TACX tool ($20 at Excel) that does the same thing.