campagnolo Chorus9sp upgrade?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Kim Christianse, May 26, 2003.

  1. Hello I have recently come across a Ridley Icarus road bike that I´m interested in purchasing.

    It comes with Campagnolo Chorus 9sp. I have heard somewhere that it is possible to modify the ergo
    levers to 10sp. However, according to the official Campy website this is not possible.

    Has anyone in this group tried tried to do this, or it true what I read on the official web site?

    Thanks in advance

    Kim

    Tags:

  2. Ronald

    Ronald Guest

    > It comes with Campagnolo Chorus 9sp. I have heard somewhere that it is possible to modify the ergo
    > levers to 10sp.

    It's possible, you'll need a new 10 speed shift disk for the right Ergo, a 10 speed chain and 10
    speed cassette. I would stick with the 9 speed for now though and maybe change to 10 speed when the
    9 speed stuff worns out, but then it would still be cheaper to replace with 9 speed if you don't
    need the 10th cog.

    "Kim Christiansen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hello I have recently come across a Ridley Icarus road bike that I´m interested in purchasing.
    >
    > It comes with Campagnolo Chorus 9sp. I have heard somewhere that it is possible to modify the ergo
    > levers to 10sp. However, according to the official Campy website this is not possible.
    >
    > Has anyone in this group tried tried to do this, or it true what I read on the official web site?
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > Kim

  3. Suzy Jackson

    Suzy Jackson Guest

    "Kim Christiansen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hello I have recently come across a Ridley Icarus road bike that I´m interested in purchasing.
    >
    > It comes with Campagnolo Chorus 9sp. I have heard somewhere that it is possible to modify the ergo
    > levers to 10sp. However, according to the official Campy website this is not possible.

    It almost definitely is. However if the ergos were made in 1999, then odds are it isn't upgradeable,
    as this year used a slightly different shaft layout to subsequent years.

    Having said that, it's fairly easy to disassemble one if you're mechanically inclined, and requires
    no special tools (other than a decent set of allen keys). Once you've got the ergo cog out, it's
    simple to determine whether or not it's possible to go to 10 speed.

    FWIW, though, I can't see why you'd bother. 9 speed works brilliantly well.

    Regards,

    Suzy

    --
    ---
    Suzy Jackson [email protected] http://www.suzyj.net

  4. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "Kim Christiansen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hello I have recently come across a Ridley Icarus road bike that I´m interested in purchasing.
    >
    > It comes with Campagnolo Chorus 9sp. I have heard somewhere that it is possible to modify the ergo
    > levers to 10sp. However, according to the official Campy website this is not possible.
    >
    > Has anyone in this group tried tried to do this, or it true what I read on the official web site?

    You'll need the shift disc for the lever, a ten cassette and chain. The lever itself and the
    derailleurs will be OK for ten if they shift well with nine now. I would install a new cable and
    casing since you have it all apart anyway.

  5. Kim-<< It comes with Campagnolo Chorus 9sp. I have heard somewhere that it is possible to modify the
    ergo levers to 10sp. However, according to the official Campy website this is not possible.

    Only NOT possible if the levers are 1997/8. If 1999, then yes you can convert them to 10s, with
    EC-RE-061 and EXC-RE-062. Have done it MANY times and all else you need is a 10s xcogset and chain.
    NO NEED for a rear der, regardless of what web sites say.

    You can tell 1999 by looking at the back of the lever, with the plastic cap off, to see if there are
    two notches oin the back metal plate(for ERGO brain) if smooth, or pointy top hoods, 1997 or 1998.

  6. Suzy-<< It almost definitely is. However if the ergos were made in 1999, then odds are it isn't
    upgradeable, as this year used a slightly different shaft layout to subsequent years.

    Actually the unique year is 1998...