Campagnolo compatible light cassette

nurul

Jan 4, 2004
Currently running a 12-25 Veloce 10spd cassette on the Addict but it weighs in at a shade under 300g incl lock ring. The 13-26 I used to run on the six13 was 301g incl lockring. My new DA 12-25 cassette is 201g exactly. Chorus and Centaur offer very little weight saving for the money and Record cassettes come in at over 200g for their 12-25 version. (Remember all the weights stated by Campag are for 11-21 or 11-23 cassettes.)
The aim is here to find a Campag compatible cassette in a 12-25 which comes in at around 200g (or less if possbille). When I say "compatible" I mean "compatible"- not rubbish which the likes of Miche produce which simply do not work on Campy even though they say it does.
So what's out there???

nurul said:
Currently running a 12-25 Veloce 10spd cassette on the Addict but it weighs in at a shade under 300g incl lock ring. The 13-26 I used to run on the six13 was 301g incl lockring. My new DA 12-25 cassette is 201g exactly. Chorus and Centaur offer very little weight saving for the money and Record cassettes come in at over 200g for their 12-25 version. (Remember all the weights stated by Campag are for 11-21 or 11-23 cassettes.)
The aim is here to find a Campag compatible cassette in a 12-25 which comes in at around 200g (or less if possbille). When I say "compatible" I mean "compatible"- not rubbish which the likes of Miche produce which simply do not work on Campy even though they say it does.
So what's out there???

Record all titanium...

nurul said:
too expensive for the weight u save......cheaper I need...
A couple of weeks ago you were going to scrap your entire Campy gruppo to save a couple of hundred grams. Now you're balking at upgrading a single component to save similar weight?

You know how it goes.....durability, weight, price....pick two.

You want to shave every gram off your bike but don't want to pay for it, how about going single speed and better yet fixed gear so you can remove the brakes :D

daveryanwyoming said:
A couple of weeks ago you were going to scrap your entire Campy gruppo to save a couple of hundred grams. Now you're balking at upgrading a single component to save similar weight?

You want to shave every gram off your bike but don't want to pay for it, how about going single speed and better yet fixed gear so you can remove the brakes :D

Tried that back in 1990. Read the threads I put more carefully. I wasn't going to scrap the Campag stuff. I still run it. It wasn't to save a few hundred grams. It was to have the DA experience again. Why? to have fun and get me out there riding and getting fit for our training camp again in 8 wks. Guess what. After having realised the changes I am riding great with 25okm this weekend while u are trolling the forums. Don't forget to flame the gay men when u swtich back to the "anal intercourse" or "ass to mouth" thread which u set up whilst I was riding a fixed. :D

daveryanwyoming said:

A cassette is, what, 1/8 the radius of a wheel? That means the difference in acceleration is 1/64th the difference the same weight change at the rim would make. Anyone who claims their stopwatch can measure that is delusional at best.

Dave made a good point and wasn't rude about it. Nurul pulled his response from the high school playbook with the gay thing. Pretty lame, really. For someone that knows so much about cycling, he sure doesn't seem to know much about bikes.

alienator said:
A cassette is, what, 1/8 the radius of a wheel? That means the difference in acceleration is 1/64th the difference the same weight change at the rim would make. Anyone who claims their stopwatch can measure that is delusional at best.

Dave made a good point and wasn't rude about it. Nurul pulled his response from the high school playbook with the gay thing. Pretty lame, really. For someone that knows so much about cycling, he sure doesn't seem to know much about bikes.

No sir Mr Alientor, sir. I had a go at Dave because the way he expressed himself was rude and abrasive and simply unnecessary. It is something I perceived and felt. It is called having an opinion and you should be aware that others do have opinions other than your generally contrite and lame ones aimed at trying to impress geeks on here. The fact is that there are people here who love to ride bikes and buy components and also have their opinions. you sit around wating to flame others cos forums were inveted for sods like you to expend ur nervous energy cos u were too tired of whacking off over **** and being told what to do by the dustcart driver really gets you up the wall. So I justifiably reprimadned Dave for polluting this thread. I don't need a **** kicker like you to teach me manners by deciding what is schoolboyish or not. Oh, by the way Alienatorman, Just wanted to tell you that I tried my Mavic Elites today atr at 1550g they spin up nicely. I can really feel the difference as I spring up the hilly coast road- those 150g I have shed from the HED Jets wow!!!!! Amazing!!

Never used them, but KCNC do a 12-25 Campagnolo cassete that weighs 142grams supposedly.

Dunno what their compatibility or durability is like though.

nurul said:
too expensive for the weight u save......cheaper I need...

Gotta pay to play. No such thing as a free lunch. BUT as the following will say, saving a couple of hundred grams for lots of $ or less money for a poorly shifting cogset, your choice BUT saving 200 grams anywhere is a mental exercise, not a exercise that will make any difference in your riding performance. Look at the engine for that, not the bike.

Peter@vecchios said:
Look at the engine for that, not the bike.[/QUOTE]

"Look at the engine for that, not the bike."
Come on Peter. give us a break and tell us something we don't already know!!!

nurul said:
Peter@vecchios said:
Look at the engine for that, not the bike.[/QUOTE]

"Look at the engine for that, not the bike."
Come on Peter. give us a break and tell us something we don't already know!!!

You'd be surprised how few people know that, or admit that. The number of people that spend HUGE $ to save the weight of a powerbar(60 grams) is staggering.

Peter@vecchios said:
You'd be surprised how few people know that, or admit that. The number of people that spend HUGE $ to save the weight of a powerbar(60 grams) is staggering.

No I wouldn't be. There is nothing wrong with wanting a lighter bike.In 1988 I began on a crappy hi tensile steel bike and went on to build up from a 531frane in 1989. I rode a 22lb (10kg) bike (531c with open 4 cd rims and ultegra/105/DA mix) in 1989 onwards and it wasn't until 1998 that I hadthe privilege of working and owning a caad3 SAECO with ultegra and moscow rims which probably weighed somewhere around 9kgs.
In 2000 I had the pleasure of riding an 8,5kg colombus alumnium bike with full 10v campy and. It wasn't until about 2005 where I had an 8kg six13 built up and now an Addict which is about 500g shy of 7kg. What is the point here? That we ride what we have as hard as we can and we buy components for pleasure. I know that when I am climbing one of our local 20km climbs at 90-95% of course I don't think that saving 100g is gonna get me up there better. Of course I am thinking about the zone 3 training I have or havent done, or the hill repeats I have or haven't done or the food I have or haven't correctly eaten. Of course I don't blame the bike cos it weighs 7 or 8 or 9kgs even thought the average weight of the bikes in my group is 7kgs. Of course I don't even think about whether or not I am using the compact crankset today or not- rather whether or not I suffered enough on the climb when the break went, or if I was postioned correctly or not- or whether or not to put it in the big ring on the next false flat to get some time back or if this will weaken me fo the next 5km part or whether or not to back off and recover for 2 mins and then put an effort in. I am not thinking about the 60g I might have saved to make me go faster or to provide an excuse for losing x mins at the top on guys who are almost cat 1 level.