Campagnolo Daytona/Centaur and SRAM compatibility?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by torroni, Jan 15, 2004.

1. torroni

torroni New Member

Could anyone help me out with a campagnolo compatibility issue?

I have a Bianchi racer fitted with Campag Daytona 9-speed (now discontinued) but had to replace the rear derailleur with the newer Centaur model due to a crash!

I now need to replace the cassette and chain due to wear. When looking for a 9-speed cassette I found that the Centaur model only comes in a 10-speed cassette. Will there be any compatibility issues when trying to fit this onto a 9-speed daytona 39/53 chainring etc.

I would actually prefer to replace it with the SRAM R9 9-speed cassette and SRAM chain, but haven't got a clue if this will be compatible with my Daytona chainring etc.

PLEASE HELP! :confused:

Tags:

2. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

A 10 speed cassette will not work unless you also change out the shifters or reconfigure them with replacement parts to 10 speed. A sram cassette will not work unless it is specifically campy compatible, but you can use a sram chain on an otherwise campy setup. There are plenty of 9 speed campy cassettes around,and any will work. It does not have to be Daytona/Centaur. Try www.branfordbike.com or Nashbar. A cassette should last through several chains if the chain is maintained and replaced when stretched .05%. Learning to measure one can save alot of money.

3. drbll

drbll New Member

4. Deanster

Deanster New Member

Call Tim at Branfordbikes www.branfordbike.com. He knows Campy and the compatibility issues. He also has good prices.

5. torroni

torroni New Member

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the help. I am actually living in London UK, but your input is still very helpful. I think i'll have to go with the 9-speed Chorus cassette and a campag chain.

On closer inspection of the old cassette I have also noticed that it has some lateral movement (in the plane of the bike frame) and so turns with a slight wobbling motion. Is this likely to be the cassette or some problem with the rear hub?

Thanks again!

6. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

If the cassette is tight it should not move.There can be a bit of play or wobble in the hub,but too much causes problems.

7. Deanster

Deanster New Member

Torroni: I have seen a wobble in the old clusters, but I haven't in the 8, 9, or 10spd cassettes. I think that the close spacing of the 10spd would make it impossible for any wobble to be tolerated. I would have a good mechanic check it out. Good luck.