Campagnolo Daytona

encomium

Dec 23, 2006
hi, does anyone know when this groupset was discoutinued by Campy? Or renamed to Centaur (as i understand). I'm just trying to determine how old the groupset on a particular bike I am looking at buying is potentially.

thanks

encomium said:
hi, does anyone know when this groupset was discoutinued by Campy? Or renamed to Centaur (as i understand). I'm just trying to determine how old the groupset on a particular bike I am looking at buying is potentially.

thanks
I'm not a Campy aficionado in the least, so others will have to verify or dispute; but my understanding was that the Athena group was renamed to Daytona in 2000 and then replaced by the Centaur group in 2002. So I a guessing that 2000,2001 is about the limit of the range of the components.

Daytona was simply renamed Centaur. Apparently the name Daytona is owned by someone associated with the Daytona 500 NASCAR race. Or so I heard.

I have a couple cranks and shifters in both names. They seem to be the same level quality, i.e. below Chorus/Record but a step above the Veloce steel-encroached stuff.

cdr

encomium said:

thanks
2001 was the last year of Daytona. It is indistinguishable from 2002 Centaur (and little changed from 2002-2006).

carpediemracing said:
Daytona was simply renamed Centaur. Apparently the name Daytona is owned by someone associated with the Daytona 500 NASCAR race. Or so I heard.

I have a couple cranks and shifters in both names. They seem to be the same level quality, i.e. below Chorus/Record but a step above the Veloce steel-encroached stuff.

cdr

Yep, Daytona=Centaur. The shifters are internally absolutely identical to Veloce and Mirage. The only difference is the brake and shift lever finish/material.

thanks people! i got the bike and it seems like a pretty good setup although i don't have massive experience with road bikes so i could be wrong.

anyway, let's hope that i really get in to it and enjoy riding and mature in to a decent cyclist!

happy new year!!

FWIW, before the name Centaur was adapted to replace Daytona it was the name of Campy's mtb groupset (the mtb groupset was later scraped coz it was unprofitable for them).