Campagnolo ergo brake hoods, installation.

bikemaster

Jan 29, 2004
I have purchased new (pointy style) brake hoods for my 9 speed ergo levers but I’m having great difficulty in installing them.
I removed the old ones by pulling them over the front of the lever but the new ones don’t seem to want to stretch enough to get them over the carbon hood.
Is there a trick somebody can recommend?
Thanks.

bikemaster said:
I have purchased new (pointy style) brake hoods for my 9 speed ergo levers but I’m having great difficulty in installing them.
I removed the old ones by pulling them over the front of the lever but the new ones don’t seem to want to stretch enough to get them over the carbon hood.
Thanks.
You can lube the rubber with bit of soapy water.

bikemaster said:
Thanks.

Thanks........... That worked.

bikemaster said:
Thanks.
The new ones will go on. You just have to man handle them a little bit. I have never found a need for our used any lube to do this. Be patient.

John M said:
You can lube the rubber with bit of soapy water.
Excellent tip. Also make sure your not doing this in cold weather. Try warming the new hoods to make them more flexible.

Glad John M's tip worked!

I found it surprisingly easy to install campy hoods. The instructions on the back of the packet said to use alcohol as a lubricant. Rubbing alcohol was squirted inside and the excess shaken out. Dry the outsides then place the hoods on from the front (while levers are still attached). Once over the lever get your fingers inside the hood from the top back, and push from the front. Push, pull, push pull and they'll be on in no time. Should take about 20 seconds for each hood. Good luck!