Campagnolo Ergopower problem

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Antti Salonen, Jan 31, 2004.

  1. In mid-December, when the roads generally were not clear anymore, I took my road bike apart for a
    complete service. This means an almost complete disassembly, cleaning, lubricating and putting it
    all back together again.

    I notice something unusual with the right Ergopower unit. When I pressed the lever, it would
    occasionally miss some of the clicks. What I mean is that it would pull the cable twice the amount
    it should for a single "click". The downshifting button works normally. The levers are 10-speed
    Centaur levers from 2002 with about 11,000 km of use.

    However, when I attach the cable to the rear derailer (put it under tension), the Ergopower seems
    to work normally. It worked perfectly in the autumn, and now that I'm using the bike on the
    trainer, I'm not noticing anything out of the ordinary. Is this a symptom of something that is
    going to get worse?

    -as

    Tags:

  2. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Antti Salonen wrote:
    > I notice something unusual with the right Ergopower unit. When I pressed the lever, it would
    > occasionally miss some of the clicks. What I mean is that it would pull the cable twice the amount
    > it should for a single "click". The downshifting button works normally. The levers are 10-speed
    > Centaur levers from 2002 with about 11,000 km of use.
    >
    > However, when I attach the cable to the rear derailer (put it under tension), the Ergopower seems
    > to work normally. It worked perfectly in the autumn, and now that I'm using the bike on the
    > trainer, I'm not noticing anything out of the ordinary. Is this a symptom of something that is
    > going to get worse?

    The ratchet springs in the Ergo naturally wear, making the shifting action softer. It's such a
    gradual process that you may not notice it happening in normal use. It is more apparent with cable
    unattached. Replacement springs don't cost much although the job is tricky. I suggest carrying on
    using them until shifting performance or feel becomes unacceptable then get them done promptly.

    How long they last depends on how often you change gear per mile as well as mileage - that's why
    some people need them serviced frequently, some never. I know that's stating the obvious but folks
    will come along and say "mine have lasted for 10 years with no servicing required" :)

    ~PB

  3. aksalone-<< When I pressed the lever, it would occasionally miss some of the clicks. What I mean is
    that it would pull the cable twice the amount it should for a single "click". >><BR><BR>

    Common with the ERGO, starting in 1998, where they put a woundup 'assist' spring in the levers, both
    of them that overcomes the ERGO springs with the cable disconnected..normal and no need to frett.

  4. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    Antti Salonen wrote:
    > In mid-December, when the roads generally were not clear anymore, I took my road bike apart for a
    > complete service. This means an almost complete disassembly, cleaning, lubricating and putting it
    > all back together again.
    >
    > I notice something unusual with the right Ergopower unit. When I pressed the lever, it would
    > occasionally miss some of the clicks. What I mean is that it would pull the cable twice the amount
    > it should for a single "click". The downshifting button works normally. The levers are 10-speed
    > Centaur levers from 2002 with about 11,000 km of use.
    >
    > However, when I attach the cable to the rear derailer (put it under tension), the Ergopower seems
    > to work normally. It worked perfectly in the autumn, and now that I'm using the bike on the
    > trainer, I'm not noticing anything out of the ordinary. Is this a symptom of something that is
    > going to get worse?

    Yes, I've seen that. When you shift a clean Ergo in your hand, off the bike and without a cable. the
    shift disc will sometimes move two clicks with a single lever press.

    That anomaly disappears when there's any slight drag on the shift disc, either your other thumb (off
    the bike) or a cable ( on the bike). Don't worry about it.

  5. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    A Muzi wrote:
    > Antti Salonen wrote:
    >> In mid-December, when the roads generally were not clear anymore, I took my road bike apart for a
    >> complete service. This means an almost complete disassembly, cleaning, lubricating and putting it
    >> all back together again.
    >>
    >> I notice something unusual with the right Ergopower unit. When I pressed the lever, it would
    >> occasionally miss some of the clicks. What I mean is that it would pull the cable twice the
    >> amount it should for a single "click". The downshifting button works normally. The levers are 10-
    >> speed Centaur levers from 2002 with about 11,000 km of use.
    >>
    >> However, when I attach the cable to the rear derailer (put it under tension), the Ergopower seems
    >> to work normally. It worked perfectly in the autumn, and now that I'm using the bike on the
    >> trainer, I'm not noticing anything out of the ordinary. Is this a symptom of something that is
    >> going to get worse?
    >
    > Yes, I've seen that. When you shift a clean Ergo in your hand, off the bike and without a cable.
    > the shift disc will sometimes move two clicks with a single lever press.
    >
    > That anomaly disappears when there's any slight drag on the shift disc, either your other thumb
    > (off the bike) or a cable ( on the bike). Don't worry about it.

    I agree with your and Peter's comments but isn't it fair to say that the tendency to overshift
    without cable becomes even more pronounced when the ratchet springs are half worn out? If it's
    "looser" than it was, it's an early warning sign that the springs are wearing and replacements may
    be needed sooner rather than later.

    ~PB

  6. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    -snip-

    Pete Biggs wrote:
    > I agree with your and Peter's comments but isn't it fair to say that the tendency to overshift
    > without cable becomes even more pronounced when the ratchet springs are half worn out? If it's
    > "looser" than it was, it's an early warning sign that the springs are wearing and replacements may
    > be needed sooner rather than later.

    OK, maybe. But then there should be other symptoms such as soft feel to the shift and the inability
    to stay in low gear.

    And he did note that this phenomenon was only evident off the bike. Once installed he reports it
    shifted normally.

  7. A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Pete Biggs wrote:

    >> I agree with your and Peter's comments but isn't it fair to say that the tendency to overshift
    >> without cable becomes even more pronounced when the ratchet springs are half worn out? If it's
    >> "looser" than it was, it's an early warning sign that the springs are wearing and replacements
    >> may be needed sooner rather than later.

    > OK, maybe. But then there should be other symptoms such as soft feel to the shift and the
    > inability to stay in low gear.

    > And he did note that this phenomenon was only evident off the bike. Once installed he reports it
    > shifted normally.

    Correct. It has worked flawlessly on the bike, and still does. I suppose I'll just continue to use
    it but get the replacement parts ready. Thank you for the help, everybody.

    -as

  8. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    A Muzi wrote:

    >> I agree with your and Peter's comments but isn't it fair to say that the tendency to overshift
    >> without cable becomes even more pronounced when the ratchet springs are half worn out? If it's
    >> "looser" than it was, it's an early warning sign that the springs are wearing and replacements
    >> may be needed sooner rather than later.
    >
    > OK, maybe. But then there should be other symptoms such as soft feel to the shift and the
    > inability to stay in low gear.

    Unless comparing side-by-side with brand new Ergos, it's easy to not notice the softer feel as the
    deterioration is gradual. Rather like getting old :) Has to be really bad before it slips out of
    gear (when cable is attached).

    ~PB

  9. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 14:04:57 -0000, "Pete Biggs"
    <ptangerine{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote:

    >Unless comparing side-by-side with brand new Ergos, it's easy to not notice the softer feel as the
    >deterioration is gradual. Rather like getting old :) Has to be really bad before it slips out of
    >gear (when cable is attached).

    I couldn't agree more. I have 3 bikes with Ergos. The two singles I ride regularly I had rated as
    like new and soft. I hadn't ridden the tandem in a while because my wife had a bad back, recently
    fixed. I know the tandem has new springs. When I rode tandem the snaps were so distinct that I
    realize that my single bikes have only medium and soft springs.

    PS: I like medium best.