Campagnolo Ergopower Question (odd one)

timdanaher

Dec 1, 2003
Hello all --

The problem is this:

I need to operate the rear mech with the LEFT lever (lost right arm in cycling accident). I've been told that it's possible to get a rear insert machined (mirror image?) to make this work.

Does anyone have any views on the feasability of this / any alternative suggestions / know how much it would cost / can suggest companies (in U.K.)?

Also anyone have any idea if the Electronic Record group will allow this?

TIA,

Tim

Originally posted by timdanaher
Hello all --

The problem is this:

I need to operate the rear mech with the LEFT lever (lost right arm in cycling accident). I've been told that it's possible to get a rear insert machined (mirror image?) to make this work.

Do you use big S or Campy ?
If Shimano you could try taking a mountain group shifter that´s made in Europe that controls BOTH front and rear shifters by ONE twist grip , it´s intended for the right side but should be mountable on the left . It´s intended for mtb use ( 44/34/24 etc )
It´s a weird peice of tech in that it selects which chainring / sproket combination best serves the circumstances .

One question : how do you brake without coming a cropper ? , not a rude question , there´s a guy who goes to a local cycleshop here with no left hand and every time he touches the brakes he falls ( torque rotation due to pressure on only one grip ) can you help ?

Originally posted by el Inglés
Hello all --

The problem is this:

Do you use big S or Campy ?
If Shimano you could try taking a mountain group shifter that´s made in Europe that controls BOTH front and rear shifters by ONE twist grip , it´s intended for the right side but should be mountable on the left . It´s intended for mtb use ( 44/34/24 etc )
It´s a weird peice of tech in that it selects which chainring / sproket combination best serves the circumstances .

One question : how do you brake without coming a cropper ? , not a rude question , there´s a guy who goes to a local cycleshop here with no left hand and every time he touches the brakes he falls ( torque rotation due to pressure on only one grip ) can you help ?
The topic was Campagnolo. How would one mount a mtb shifter on a road bar anyway?

You could try a Mavic Mechtronic (If thats the right name?) electronic group instead.
With only electrical cabling and wires needing to be manipulated (easy with pliers and a soldering iron) it would be easy to mount all the shift buttons on the left side of the bar.
I have heard of at least one cerebral paulsy sufferer (who cannot move his right hand in the required way to shift) who has done this with some success (he won his RR division at the Sydney Olympics).

Thanks for the replies.

El Inglés --

Para frenar, utilizo un cable de tandem, y siempre llevo una protesís..

Sorry, couldn't resist that...both brakes are operated off a tandem cable from the left-hand lever and the artificial arm balances everything out. Braking, changing gear, dancing on the hoods, etc is never a problem (I ride track as well), I'd just like the convenience of Ergopower.

The real problem is that I'm afraid of being left behind with all the new technology. When Campag dump 9-speed, I'm stuffed (they don't make 10-speed downtube levers). Also, any idea how difficult it is to get a frame with downtube lever bosses these days? (Thank God for Bianchi).

Tafi --

Mektronic is supposed to be a real dog. Most people say it's only useful for leisure riding. I'm hoping that Electronic Record will be my saviour, but from all the reports/photos I've seen, it looks like a 'handed' set-up as well...

Did you try contacting Campagnolo? My experience is that companies can go a surprising distance to help people, often just out of sympathy or just curiosity of the technological problem (geekism?).

It's always worth a try.

The real problem is that I'm afraid of being left behind with all the new technology. When Campag dump 9-speed, I'm stuffed (they don't make 10-speed downtube levers). Also, any idea how difficult it is to get a frame with downtube lever bosses these days? (Thank God for Bianchi).

Campy makes 10 speed barends, and one small part from the 9 speed downtube shifter allow the 10 speed ones to work as downtube.

Boudreaux --

can you be a bit more specific? I spoke to Campag's UK importer at the recent London Bike Show, and they told me emphatically that this was not possible (I thought you'd just have to swap the insert).

Tuschinski -- I think you're right. If only I had some contact details...there's nothing on the website...

Cheers,

Tim

Boudreaux --

can you be a bit more specific? I spoke to Campag's UK importer at the recent London Bike Show, and they told me emphatically that this was not possible (I thought you'd just have to swap the insert).

Cheers,

Tim
check with www.branfordbike.com all it involves is the metal tab that limits the lever movement. If you have 9 speed units,you already have the part.The barends will actually work without it,and I've actually done it. You can even swap the guts of the shifter I believe, unlike shimanos that cannot be taken apart. You probably get more misinformation from Campy than any other source.

Boudreaux --

Tuschinski -- I think you're right. If only I had some contact details...there's nothing on the website...

Cheers,

Tim

Contact your dealer or the importer. They should have all the contact-info.

Are you guys referring to the time trial / triathlon bar end shifters? It may be possible to put 10s bar end shifter on the end of the drop in the bars (im not sure if the cable could be routed under the bar tape). If it has to go through the tube then its probably not a goer.
if that fails you could butcher a 10s indexer and a 9s mount to go on the downtube (is that what you were refering to?)

I love trying to sift through a technical problem!

Try the Campag website and down load the spares catalogue. (You need to do a search, as it is not linked to the home page). It gives blow up diagrammes of all the bits. A good machne shop should be able to tell you if it can be done. Then it will be case of buying the levers and taking them apart to measure up, followed by parting with a fair bit of money.

Originally posted by G White
Try the Campag website and down load the spares catalogue. (You need to do a search, as it is not linked to the home page). It gives blow up diagrammes of all the bits. A good machne shop should be able to tell you if it can be done. Then it will be case of buying the levers and taking them apart to measure up, followed by parting with a fair bit of money.
I've already told him it can be done, and where to get the answer, and it involves a nickel and dime Campy part. We are not breaking new ground here as the question has come up before.

Originally posted by tafi
Are you guys referring to the time trial / triathlon bar end shifters? It may be possible to put 10s bar end shifter on the end of the drop in the bars (im not sure if the cable could be routed under the bar tape). If it has to go through the tube then its probably not a goer.
if that fails you could butcher a 10s indexer and a 9s mount to go on the downtube (is that what you were refering to?)

I love trying to sift through a technical problem!
Campy makes an actual barend shifter 10 speed shifter.I have them.It Takes one extra inexpensive campy part to put them on the downtube.

Originally posted by boudreaux
I've already told him it can be done, and where to get the answer, and it involves a nickel and dime Campy part. We are not breaking new ground here as the question has come up before.

Actually Boudreaux, if you read G White's (may I just call you G?) post, you'll see that he's referring to my original problem -- how to make the LEFT Ergopower lever shift the rear derailleur. Everyone seems to think that it's a matter of duplicating the right lever insert, but in a mirror image form.

And as G said, parting with a fair bit of money....:(

Thanks for the replies.

El Inglés --

Para frenar, utilizo un cable de tandem, y siempre llevo una protesís..

Sorry, couldn't resist that...both brakes are operated off a tandem cable from the left-hand lever and the artificial arm balances everything out. Braking, changing gear, dancing on the hoods, etc is never a problem (I ride track as well), I'd just like the convenience of Ergopower.

No hay problema, pero el chico en la tienda solo falta su mano y no quere pagar por alguno aparato social solo por el ciclismo ( son caro , no ) , pero gracias .
Por los mandos , siempre hay modelos para el contrarreloj para montar en el extremo de la manillar, 8 / 9 / 10 velocidad , no importar se vende todos tipos , suerte tio

Mektronic ? works ok , was even tried in the peleton but the sprinters ( Jeremy Hunt ? ) hated it because they could not feel if it changed or not , it had needless to say but in that part of the sport (?) it´s all about confidence .

Originally posted by el Inglés
Thanks for the replies.

No hay problema, pero el chico en la tienda solo falta su mano y no quere pagar por alguno aparato social solo por el ciclismo ( son caro , no ) , pero gracias .

El Inglés -

Aqui, no se tiene que pagar las protesís, he hecho adaptar una (por la Salud Nacional) solo para que pudiera hacer la Bici....

Suerte,

Tim

El Inglés -

Aqui, no se tiene que pagar las protesís, he hecho adaptar una (por la Salud Nacional) solo para que pudiera hacer la Bici....

Suerte,

Tim

Si y no tio , si y no .