Campagnolo Ergopower Question (odd one)

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by timdanaher, Dec 1, 2003.

1. timdanaher

timdanaher New Member

Hello all --

The problem is this:

I need to operate the rear mech with the LEFT lever (lost right arm in cycling accident). I've been told that it's possible to get a rear insert machined (mirror image?) to make this work.

Does anyone have any views on the feasability of this / any alternative suggestions / know how much it would cost / can suggest companies (in U.K.)?

Also anyone have any idea if the Electronic Record group will allow this?

TIA,

Tim

Tags:

2. el Ingles

el Ingles New Member

3. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

4. tafi

tafi Member

You could try a Mavic Mechtronic (If thats the right name?) electronic group instead.
    With only electrical cabling and wires needing to be manipulated (easy with pliers and a soldering iron) it would be easy to mount all the shift buttons on the left side of the bar.
    I have heard of at least one cerebral paulsy sufferer (who cannot move his right hand in the required way to shift) who has done this with some success (he won his RR division at the Sydney Olympics).

5. timdanaher

timdanaher New Member

Thanks for the replies.

El Inglés --

Para frenar, utilizo un cable de tandem, y siempre llevo una protesís..

Sorry, couldn't resist that...both brakes are operated off a tandem cable from the left-hand lever and the artificial arm balances everything out. Braking, changing gear, dancing on the hoods, etc is never a problem (I ride track as well), I'd just like the convenience of Ergopower.

The real problem is that I'm afraid of being left behind with all the new technology. When Campag dump 9-speed, I'm stuffed (they don't make 10-speed downtube levers). Also, any idea how difficult it is to get a frame with downtube lever bosses these days? (Thank God for Bianchi).

Tafi --

Mektronic is supposed to be a real dog. Most people say it's only useful for leisure riding. I'm hoping that Electronic Record will be my saviour, but from all the reports/photos I've seen, it looks like a 'handed' set-up as well...

6. Tuschinski

Tuschinski New Member

Did you try contacting Campagnolo? My experience is that companies can go a surprising distance to help people, often just out of sympathy or just curiosity of the technological problem (geekism?).

It's always worth a try.

7. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

Campy makes 10 speed barends, and one small part from the 9 speed downtube shifter allow the 10 speed ones to work as downtube.

8. timdanaher

timdanaher New Member

Boudreaux --

can you be a bit more specific? I spoke to Campag's UK importer at the recent London Bike Show, and they told me emphatically that this was not possible (I thought you'd just have to swap the insert).

Tuschinski -- I think you're right. If only I had some contact details...there's nothing on the website...

Cheers,

Tim

9. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

check with www.branfordbike.com all it involves is the metal tab that limits the lever movement. If you have 9 speed units,you already have the part.The barends will actually work without it,and I've actually done it. You can even swap the guts of the shifter I believe, unlike shimanos that cannot be taken apart. You probably get more misinformation from Campy than any other source.

10. Tuschinski

Tuschinski New Member

Contact your dealer or the importer. They should have all the contact-info.

11. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

He has already done that and gotten hooey.

12. tafi

tafi Member

Are you guys referring to the time trial / triathlon bar end shifters? It may be possible to put 10s bar end shifter on the end of the drop in the bars (im not sure if the cable could be routed under the bar tape). If it has to go through the tube then its probably not a goer.
    if that fails you could butcher a 10s indexer and a 9s mount to go on the downtube (is that what you were refering to?)

I love trying to sift through a technical problem!

13. G White

G White New Member

Try the Campag website and down load the spares catalogue. (You need to do a search, as it is not linked to the home page). It gives blow up diagrammes of all the bits. A good machne shop should be able to tell you if it can be done. Then it will be case of buying the levers and taking them apart to measure up, followed by parting with a fair bit of money.

14. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

I've already told him it can be done, and where to get the answer, and it involves a nickel and dime Campy part. We are not breaking new ground here as the question has come up before.

15. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

Campy makes an actual barend shifter 10 speed shifter.I have them.It Takes one extra inexpensive campy part to put them on the downtube.

16. timdanaher

timdanaher New Member

Actually Boudreaux, if you read G White's (may I just call you G?) post, you'll see that he's referring to my original problem -- how to make the LEFT Ergopower lever shift the rear derailleur. Everyone seems to think that it's a matter of duplicating the right lever insert, but in a mirror image form.

And as G said, parting with a fair bit of money....:(

17. el Ingles

el Ingles New Member

18. timdanaher

timdanaher New Member

19. el Ingles

el Ingles New Member

Si y no tio , si y no .

20. gw709

gw709 New Member