Campagnolo Freewheel Removal

On Apr 27, 11:57 am, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Apr 27, 1:50 pm, [email protected] wrote:
>
> > What tool do I require to remove an old Campy 6sp? Does the tool that
> > Park makes for Regina work? Thanks!

> Not sure, but if it's worn out and you don't want to spend money:
>
> http://parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=46

Definitely don't want to destroy it. I know Campy made their own
tool, but it's expensive and difficult to find. I was kind of hoping
I could find an aftermarket alternative.

On Apr 27, 11:50 am, [email protected] wrote:
> What tool do I require to remove an old Campy 6sp?  Does the tool that
> Park makes for Regina work?  Thanks!

The Regina tool is unlikely to work. I don't know what your
freewheel looks like - does it have two notches for removal?
In that case, Bicycle Research makes the aftermarket tool,
which appears to be available at bicycletool.com.

However, in many cases like this, unless you're going to
be removing a freewheel several times, the best and
inexpensive solution is to take the wheel to a shop that's
been around for a while and has all these removers in a
drawer, and have them bust it loose for you.

Ben

On Apr 27, 1:00 pm, "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> On Apr 27, 11:50 am, [email protected] wrote:
>
> > What tool do I require to remove an old Campy 6sp? Does the tool that
> > Park makes for Regina work? Thanks!

> The Regina tool is unlikely to work. I don't know what your
> freewheel looks like - does it have two notches for removal?
> In that case, Bicycle Research makes the aftermarket tool,
> which appears to be available at bicycletool.com.
>
> However, in many cases like this, unless you're going to
> be removing a freewheel several times, the best and
> inexpensive solution is to take the wheel to a shop that's
> been around for a while and has all these removers in a
> drawer, and have them bust it loose for you.
>
> Ben

That's the one! thanks

On Apr 27, 2:15 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> On Apr 27, 11:57 am, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > On Apr 27, 1:50 pm, [email protected] wrote:

> > > What tool do I require to remove an old Campy 6sp? Does the tool that
> > > Park makes for Regina work? Thanks!

> > Not sure, but if it's worn out and you don't want to spend money:

> >http://parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=46

> Definitely don't want to destroy it. I know Campy made their own
> tool, but it's expensive and difficult to find. I was kind of hoping
> I could find an aftermarket alternative.

I just removed a bmx freewheel using the "destructive" method, as it's
raining buckets and I wanted to see how "destructive" it really was.
Seems like if you're really careful with collecting all the bearings
and pawls, you *should* be able to remove the body w/o damaging it. I
used channel-lock pliers, but gentle clamping in a bench vise would be
better. Assembly is the reverse of disassembly, plus it gives you a
chance to really get that sucker clean.

Like another poster mentioned, a well established bike shop is the
least painful method. Mine charges $6 to pull a cassette or freewheel.

On 2008-04-27, [email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:

> What tool do I require to remove an old Campy 6sp? Does the tool that
> Park makes for Regina work? Thanks!

If you have a real Campagnolo freewheel, you will need a tool with the
proper helical prongs to remove it without damage. Campagnolo's official
tool is the best, but it is both very expensive and has been out of
production for many years already. Bicycle Research sells one that's not
quite as nice, but still functional:

http://www.bicycletool.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=56

--

John ([email protected])

Given that Euro-Asia still has a very generous selection of cogs for
these freewheels, and in VG condition they sell (used) for about $200
on ebay, I'd take extra-special care of your campy freewheel. find
someone (or an LBS) that has the campy tool and knows what they're
doing to remove it.

I think these have a titanium body, which lasts and lasts and lasts.

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA