Campagnolo Front Mirage Triple derailleur clamp part # needed

Peter

Guest
Hi there I've just joined the group. I need a Campagnolo 32.? clamp for a Mirage triple front
derailleur. Can someone here tell me what the part number is. My lbs doesn't have the number and
orders from Marinoni Cycles in Quebec. The clamp is needed to put my derailleur on my old Cannondale
touring frame. While I'm here. Is it normal for a shop to only have access to a 42/52 crankset and
not a 39/53 even though the 39/53 is listed as a stock set in my small Campy catalogue? My lbs wants
me to order the Veloce 42/52 and a 39 tooth chainring for an extra $58 Canadian. Is he just trying
to make more money? Thanks for your informed help.

"Peter" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Hi there I've just joined the group. I need a Campagnolo 32.? clamp for a Mirage triple front
> derailleur. Can someone here tell me what the part number is. My lbs doesn't have the number and
> orders from Marinoni Cycles
in
> Quebec. The clamp is needed to put my derailleur on my old Cannondale touring frame. While I'm
> here. Is it normal for a shop to only have access to a 42/52 crankset and not a 39/53 even though
> the 39/53 is listed as a stock set in my small Campy catalogue? My lbs wants me to order the
> Veloce 42/52 and a
39
> tooth chainring for an extra $58 Canadian. Is he just trying to make more money?

The part you're looking for is #FD-DA-021

It's common that a distributor would be out of one or another item on any given day. I just ordered
a long list of fill-in Campagnolo products yesterday but got a call back that my distributor was out
of Veloce ergo levers. That was one line item of a twenty five or so item order. I just called a
different distributor.

That being said, your shop certainly could have called around to find you a crank. They could have
taken one off a new bicycle for you and replaced it next week. They could have swapped a chainring
from their stock to make up the crank you preferred. It really is not fair to expect you to pay for
a 42t ring you do not want or need, which is essentially the deal offered.

"No, we do not have that car with the V-8. But if you buy this car with a V-6 in it we can _sell_
you the other engine "

If your dealer is "just trying to make more money" he would do much better to not gratuitously screw
his clientele and appear either stupid or evil as he does in your story.

And he certainly doesn't need a part number to order a part! The sentient sales people at Marinoni
have the 2003 Campagnolo spares picture book at hand (page 30). But then again so does your dealer.
. . . .curious. . .

<< Hi there I've just joined the group. I need a Campagnolo 32.? clamp for a Mirage triple front
derailleur. Can someone here tell me what the part number is. >><BR><BR>

FD-RE-221...

<< While I'm here. Is it normal for a shop to only have access to a 42/52 crankset and not a 39/53
even though the 39/53 is listed as a stock set in my small Campy catalogue? My lbs wants me to order
the Veloce 42/52 and a 39 tooth chainring for an extra $58 Canadian. >><BR><BR>

Sounds like the shop is 'supplier challenged'..My suppliers let me order any combo I want...do ya
suppose they have a leftover 52/42 they want to sell ya???

They 'should' just swap the rings if they have the crank and rings, then use the others for their
inventory...

They also should just swap the clamps out..easy to do...

In article <[email protected]>, Peter <[email protected]> wrote:
>Hi there I've just joined the group. I need a Campagnolo 32.? clamp for a Mirage triple front
>derailleur. Can someone here tell me what the part number is. My lbs doesn't have the number and
>orders from Marinoni Cycles in Quebec. The clamp is needed to put my derailleur on my old
>Cannondale touring frame.

Is the Mirage derailleur a braze-on style or a 28.6 clamp?

>While I'm here. Is it normal for a shop to only have access to a 42/52 crankset and not a 39/53
>even though the 39/53 is listed as a stock set in my small Campy catalogue? My lbs wants me to
>order the Veloce 42/52 and a 39 tooth chainring for an extra $58 Canadian.

That is nuts. Don't do it.

--Paul

[email protected] (Paul Southworth) wrote in message
news:<n%9Wa.36873$A%[email protected]>...
> In article <[email protected]>, Peter <[email protected]> wrote:
> >Hi there I've just joined the group. I need a Campagnolo 32.? clamp for a Mirage triple front
> >derailleur. Can someone here tell me what the part number is. My lbs doesn't have the number and
> >orders from Marinoni Cycles in Quebec. The clamp is needed to put my derailleur on my old
> >Cannondale touring frame.
>
> Is the Mirage derailleur a braze-on style or a 28.6 clamp?
>
> >While I'm here. Is it normal for a shop to only have access to a 42/52 crankset and not a 39/53
> >even though the 39/53 is listed as a stock set in my small Campy catalogue? My lbs wants me to
> >order the Veloce 42/52 and a 39 tooth chainring for an extra $58 Canadian.
>
> That is nuts. Don't do it.
>
> --Paul

Hello there and thanks. Deraileur is a clamp on model and not a braze on one. I had no intention of
buying a 42/52 crankset and a 39 tooth chainring. The shop I am refering to is a small one and it
seems more and more that the proprieter only wants sales and not service eg no questions please just
order the part, plunk your money down and get out I have customers who want to spend big bucks. He
also tells me that only Miche makes a separate clamp for this derailleur. Actually it is an adapter
clamp for the braze on model so I am not sure my clamp on style could be adapted to it.That a
replacement Campy clamp is not available is I know a bunch of El Toro Poo Poo as spare parts
availability is what Campy prides itself on. Another poster has kindly provided the part number for
the 32+mm clamp. I have decided to patronize a different shop in another nearby city in order to get
the Mirage Clamp I need and also the cranksetin the fall. I think I will go with a Triple 30-40-50
setup as I am currently running a used 28-38-48 Exage 300 on an experimental basis. Shifting is good
and the $2 price was an excellent value. The 30 tooth inner ring gives a nice set of bailout gears
at the end of a long ride on hills or in a stiff headwind.