Campagnolo Hub Bearings

DZ-015

Oct 25, 2005
Hello folks.

During my winter bike strip down, I noticed some water ingress on one side of my Chorus rear hub. I think I've caught it just in time because the cones aren't pitted, but the ball bearings are stained black.

Can I just replace the balls with new 1/4" ones or do I need official Campagnolo super duper ones?

Thanks!

I wouldn't get Campaggollo supers coz they'll cost you a bucket.
Just get "normal" ones coz the cones alone will probably bust your budget.

DZ-015 said:
Hello folks.

During my winter bike strip down, I noticed some water ingress on one side of my Chorus rear hub. I think I've caught it just in time because the cones aren't pitted, but the ball bearings are stained black.

Can I just replace the balls with new 1/4" ones or do I need official Campagnolo super duper ones?

Thanks!

Any high quality appropriately sized bearing will work.

grade 25 is not that much more, and for the price of a chorus hub spend the extra bux for the better grade.

IEatRice4Dinner said:
grade 25 is not that much more, and for the price of a chorus hub spend the extra bux for the better grade.
Agree, you can buy cheaper bearings but you get what you pay for. Since the hub bearings do ALL the work I would go with Campy. They match the bearing sets and the quality is there. They will last longer. It makes a difference when you tighten the cones. You want all those little suckers touching together!!
Use the Phil Wood Grease for better water resistance. Or if you can find it the old blue marine grease for obvious reasons. I bought some of that years ago and it has lasted forever. I don't get water intrusion problems. I have a 1969 Cinelli with the large flange hubs and that is all its seen. Cup and ball races still good.

Thanks for the advice guys. Anyone know any good suppliers of Campy bearings (in UK or able to ship to UK?).

The Chorus freehub bearings aren't 1/4" by the way.

Deanster - I'm with you on your 1969 Cinelli, if you look after good quality hubs/bearings they should last a lifetime...:)