Campagnolo Mirage 9Speed - Require Medium term change



timujin

New Member
Jun 18, 2012
3
0
0
Hi Everyone.

I have a small problem. I have had my DeRosa now for a while and after 3 years of staying in the garage im back on it!

One small issue, I think I need a compact system... 50/34 with a 11-27 maybe... what would be the process of changing just the two, the crank and the cassette??

I have promised myself a new DeRosa if i can do 3000km until end of the year, its THE only way I can justify considering DeRosa's are expensive.

Within campagnolo, what would be the required parts??

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Timujin.
 

alfeng

Well-Known Member
Jul 23, 2005
6,723
252
63
While MY preference is a rear derailleur with a longer cage, it may not be necessary ...

Otherwise, the parts are just the parts ([COLOR= #0000ff]+ tools, if needed[/COLOR]) --

  1. the compact crankset of your choice + appropriate BB (if a different model-and-vintage of crank)
  2. the cassette of your choice

  • BTW. I have used a 9-speed SHIMANO chain with a 10-speed Campagnolo Cassette ... so, I recommed that if you buy a new chain AND presuming you aren't planning to update to an 11-speed drivetrain, then I recommend that if you opt to replace your chain in the near future that you opt for any 9-speed Shimano chain.

FYI. Theoretically, a 39t chainring with a non-existent 31t cog is essentially the same as a 34t chainring with a 27t cog ...

So, a 29t cog may be all you need ...

MICHE cogs are avaiable separately ...

Here is a 10-speed Campagnolo Cassette which I opted to restack with a 29t Miche cog:


Of course, you can restack a 9-speed Cassette, too.

BTW. Three years is not, IMO, a long lay off, so presuming you have not been injured in the interim unless you moved to a hillier part of the country OR are planning rides which involve more climbing than in the past that 'I' recommend that you change one component at a time ... try before you buy, particularly if you think a 10-or-11-speed updating is planned for the future.
 

timujin

New Member
Jun 18, 2012
3
0
0
Thanks Alfeng.

Yes I agree, it it no that long a layoff but considering I have gained 25kg a compact solution is going to be priority number 1. I have already had 4 rides and pushed onto 60miles roundtrip... but the hills gave me such a cramp, one that I have never experienced in the saddle.

I will read your post thoroughly so I understand what it is I need to change..

Thanks,
Timujin
 

Dr Lodge

Member
May 3, 2012
109
6
0
Originally Posted by timujin .

Hi Everyone.

One small issue, I think I need a compact system... 50/34 with a 11-27 maybe... what would be the process of changing just the two, the crank and the cassette??
Interesting...my current bike has 42/52 with 13-28 and the 42-28 combo just about gets me up the steepest hills in the south of the UK that I've ridden so far. I did think about getting a compact crank but don't think I'll need it. That said, I've just ordered a new bike and on it I've got...50/34 compact crank and 12-27 cassette! The theory being that (a) this gives me the lowest gears I'll ever need (b) with an 11 gear cassette, the gears are still very close ratio to each other and (c) the compact crank actually gives less cross shifting although may be fewer "usable gears".

Have you actually had to walk up any hills? If not I'd say stick with the gears you have and with regular cycling you'll soon lose the weight and gain strength.
 

timujin

New Member
Jun 18, 2012
3
0
0
Dr Lodge, thanks for the reply

I would indeed leave it on my 12-23 but its south of spain in the 30+ degree heat you want to get up those hills as quickly as possible!!!!!!!

I have been told by my local dealer that i get a 11-28 with a 50-34 for 110Eur fitted. Which is not bad considering I will get a new DeRosa at the end of year.

Im already down 6kg in 5 weeks. average calorie burn, according to my garmin, is around 2700 per ride...
 

alfeng

Well-Known Member
Jul 23, 2005
6,723
252
63
Originally Posted by timujin .

Yes I agree, it it no that long a layoff but considering I have gained 25kg a compact solution is going to be priority number 1. I have already had 4 rides and pushed onto 60miles roundtrip... but the hills gave me such a cramp, one that I have never experienced in the saddle.

I will read your post thoroughly so I understand what it is I need to change..
The cramping may have been due to a lack of conditioning.

BTW. The first Campagnolo Cassette which I re-stacked was a 9-speed 12-23 Chorus Cassette ...

  • in that instance, I re-notched a 26t Shimano cog (because it is what I had) ... good enough, but far from an ideal option

I know that an 8t jump is 'okay' with Shimano cogs. I presume that the shifting will sitll be 'okay' if you restack your Cassette with either a 27t or 29t cog.
 

alienator

Well-Known Member
Jun 10, 2004
12,596
310
0
timujin said:
Dr Lodge, thanks for the reply I would indeed leave it on my 12-23 but its south of spain in the 30+ degree heat you want to get up those hills as quickly as possible!!!!!!! I have been told by my local dealer that i get a 11-28 with a 50-34 for 110Eur fitted. Which is not bad considering I will get a new DeRosa at the end of year. Im already down 6kg in 5 weeks. average calorie burn, according to my garmin, is around 2700 per ride...
You might want to go with the dealer's option or the same as found in the internet tubes (it might be less expensive). Staying with anything that gets you up a hill without making you walk isn't really a good rule to go bike. There are a lot of knees and backs that can be hurt grinding up hills at a pace that allows just allows you to escape walking. As you get stronger, you can always change a cassette, chainrings, or some combination thereof to better match your better conditioning.