Campagnolo Mirage vs Shimano 105

jbazant

May 25, 2006
Hello.
Wchich groupset is better either campagnolo mirage or shimano 105. I would like to buy a road bike and I am a little bit confused wchich groupset to chose. What do you recon? Which group is better?
Thanks for answers.

jbazant said:
Hello.
Wchich groupset is better either campagnolo mirage or shimano 105. I would like to buy a road bike and I am a little bit confused wchich groupset to chose. What do you recon? Which group is better?
Thanks for answers.
Okay, someone has to answer this ...

The QUALITY of both Shimano's 105 components & the Campagnolo Mirage is very good. Both Mirage & 105 are porky when compared with the zoot-suit stuff.

Shimano's 105 components used to be EQUAL to the Shimano Ultegra components (a very good thing AND an incredible bargain), but with a slightly less elegant finish & some steel bits-and-pieces to make it heavier.

ALL of the Campagnolo components function equally well except for the RECORD which is incrementally better than all of the rest of the Campagnolo stuff ... a lot of more obvious trickle-down with the Campagnolo by way of some of the Veloce components (for example) of today having been actual Chorus/Record of 10+ years ago except for the silk screening or "stamp." The internal components of the Campagnolo shifters are interchangeable for the most part; and, so they are comparable -- the least expensive is closer in look-and-feel to the most expensive than can be said with regard to Shimano's components. The Campagnolo derailleurs ARE equal with one another except for the material choice.

I love Shimano's components -- I think that Shimano components are great and generally cost less -- but, I opted to use Campagnolo Ergo shifters with the Shimano drivetrain on my bikes ... obviously, NOT a "stock" configuration.

If you're a MTBer who prefers grip-shifts, go with the Campagnolo Mirage, you'll be happier because you can shift across multiple cogs with a single shift.

If you're upgrading/returning from a road bike with friction shifters, go with the Campagnolo Mirage ... for the same reason ...

If you're a MTBer who prefers trigger shifting, then if you get the Shimano 105, you won't be unhappy ... nonetheless, you'll PROBABLY just be happier in the long run with the Campagnolo.

My personal experience with Shimano's customer service has been excellent; but, I have contacted them directly. I have read OTHERS complain about poor customer service from Shimano.

Some people hate Shimano just because they are the M$ of cycling components -- while already huge, Shimano (like TREK) undoubtedly benefitted from the positive publicity of Lance Armstrong winning seven TdF titles with a bike that was equipped with Shimano components -- be like Mike (i.e., Air Jordans) ... be like Lance (Trek and/or Shimano).

I'm NOT in the camp that hates Shimano ... so, if you have a shop that handles Campagnolo, then see if they are the kind of people with whom you want to spend money ... if you work on your own bike stuff, then don't even hesitate to buy Campagnolo.

Shimano is universally available -- but, needing to replace anything is unlikely during the useful life expectancy (easily 10,000+ miles) of the components UNLESS you crash the bike. The components will probably be out-dated before they wear out.

Shimano stuff, for the most part, has to be chucked if something actually goes wrong (a sporadic problem existed with their 8-speed STI shifters -- I'm not sure about the reliability problem existing with the 9-speed, or later, components) ... Campagnolo stuff can be re-built, but it is often less expensive to shelve it (to be cannibalized, later) and simply buy a new component (an old 8-speed shifter can be upgraded/updated for use with a 10-speed drivetrain) -- so, a "broken" component will become EITHER garbage OR clutter depending on whether it is Shimano OR Campagnolo.

If you ride in the mountains (i.e., mountain roads) OR are planning to do any touring, then you'll probably be happier with Campagnolo's shifters ... you can always do what I did, and retrofit Campagnolo shifters on an otherwise 105 equipped bike if-and-when ...

FWIW. The Peugeot (see attachment) has Mirage shifters, an XTR rear derailleur & an Ultegra front derailleur ... the cassette is an 11-32 XT cassette.