Campagnolo O/S rear hub disengagement?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Robin Hubert, May 22, 2003.

  1. Robin Hubert

    Robin Hubert Guest

    My '99 Record hub seems to be slipping and I'd like to check here to see if it makes sense as to
    what I perceive to be happening. Recently, I stood up to head out of a parking lot onto a street
    and, as I entered the street, there was a "chunk" (or "pop"?) noise and my pedal went straight down
    and my chest smacked into the stem/bar. I coasted to the side of the road and looked down to see the
    chain is off the chainring onto the bottom bracket shell (had it in small). After checking my
    bruises and inspecting the inner ring and derailer, shifting, etc, Nothing apparently wrong. The
    second incident was on my commute and I did a similar action standing on the pedal (right forward)
    and had a partial slip. I was quick enough to catch myself and avoided the stem and the system
    caught and I continued on without stopping. Incident number three was this last Sunday while
    climbing a steep, rocky private road. Pop! My knee hits the handlebar. I instantly stall and I look
    down and the chain is off again onto the bottom bracket. Inspection of the freehub (15K miles)
    assembly reveals slightly worn pawls and one of the three has rather weak action. In other words, it
    doesn't want to stand up as readily as the other two. The drive ring shows little wear. I'm about to
    replace the circular spring as well as the pawls and hope this is a cure. Any brilliant thoughts?

    Thank you.
    --
    Robin Hubert <[email protected]

    Tags:

  2. robin-<< I'm about to replace the circular spring as well as the pawls and hope this is a cure. Any
    brilliant thoughts?

    I would suggest that same, and ensure the drive ring and pawls are clean, not gunked up.

  3. Robin Hubert

    Robin Hubert Guest

    > robin-<< I'm about to replace the circular spring as well as the pawls and hope this is a cure.
    > Any brilliant thoughts?
    >
    > I would suggest that same, and ensure the drive ring and pawls are clean,
    not
    > gunked up.

    Clean and lubed with 90W, of course!

    --