Campagnolo QS & triple compatibility

mrsummit

Jan 23, 2004
OK, another question for the Campagnolo "Guru's" out there......
I have just recently built our new tandem, using Record 10s with the QS shifting. Everything is pretty much dialed in, except I feel I have to force the shift to the big chainring. It is my understanding that the "QS" should work with a triple chainring... I do have the Record QS front derailleur and have kept the cable stretch in check.

Any hints?
Thanks in advance
J
PS, I'm not new to Campy, I have Campagnolo on all my bikes, from Cambio Corsa to the current 10s...

mrsummit said:
I have just recently built our new tandem, using Record 10s with the QS shifting. Everything is pretty much dialed in, except I feel I have to force the shift to the big chainring. It is my understanding that the "QS" should work with a triple chainring... I do have the Record QS front derailleur and have kept the cable stretch in check.
Despite the conventional wisdom that front derailleurs are difficult to adjust (IMO, no modern front derailleur is difficult after working on the vintage Nuovo Record front derailleur OR the original, noodly Shimano Deore front derailleur) ... it sounds as though you simply need to dial-in the outer stop on your front derailleur -- that is, turn the adjusting screw about a quarter turn to let the derailleur cage swing out a little more ...

BUT FIRST, put some tape on the crank arm/spider/ring to protect the surfaces which you don't want the chain skating against!

Watch the chain, carefully, and if it appears that you are going to overshift, then adjust the outer swing, accordingly.

BTW, This may make some people cringe, where I suppose the shifter is designed to execute the shift in TWO CLICKS for a DOUBLE, my first click inevitably takes up some of the slack in the cable, and it takes me THREE 'clicks' to move the chain from the inner to the outer ...

So, depending on how taut you set your front derailleur's cable, you may want to allow the first click to take up some of the slack between the granny & the middle ring ... or, not!?!

mrsummit said:

Any hints?
Thanks in advance
J
PS, I'm not new to Campy, I have Campagnolo on all my bikes, from Cambio Corsa to the current 10s...

"QS" on Receord and Chorus really means nothing. The shifter innards did not change in 2007 when the 'QS' stuff started so and FD would work fine.

Sounds like the alignment may not be quite ON. The FD outer cage should be parallel to the chain when on big ring, smallest cog, and about 1mm cleanance from bottom of cage to chainring..close. And about 1mm from inside part of cage to chain in same combo. Standard chainring sizes on the crank?

Peter@vecchios said:
"QS" on Receord and Chorus really means nothing. The shifter innards did not change in 2007 when the 'QS' stuff started so and FD would work fine.

Sounds like the alignment may not be quite ON. The FD outer cage should be parallel to the chain when on big ring, smallest cog, and about 1mm cleanance from bottom of cage to chainring..close. And about 1mm from inside part of cage to chain in same combo. Standard chainring sizes on the crank?

Thanks for the input...
I installed it with 2mm clearance from the big chainring and the derailleur is nearer to parallel with the chainrings, because it's a delicate balance between being able to dump it to the small and shift to the big chainrings. I opted to the lower side, since that's when it has been more crucial....
The derailleur is also completely maxed out in it's travel, I'm using everything this has to offer. I backed of limit screwsjust slightly, to where neither screw touches the stops, just in case it might give me a little more?
I may have to try another derailleur.... So much for the all carbon look?.....

Anybody have a "Racing triple FD" laying around?? We've used one on another tandem for probably 8,000 miles with no issues.
Cheers

mrsummit said:
Thanks for the input...
I installed it with 2mm clearance from the big chainring and the derailleur is nearer to parallel with the chainrings, because it's a delicate balance between being able to dump it to the small and shift to the big chainrings. I opted to the lower side, since that's when it has been more crucial....
The derailleur is also completely maxed out in it's travel, I'm using everything this has to offer. I backed of limit screwsjust slightly, to where neither screw touches the stops, just in case it might give me a little more?
I may have to try another derailleur.... So much for the all carbon look?.....

Anybody have a "Racing triple FD" laying around?? We've used one on another tandem for probably 8,000 miles with no issues.
Cheers

Maxed out in travel says a lot since the FD goes out AND up, moving the doohicky responsible for getting it up to the big ring also moves up. Proper BB spindle length? Not too long? Altho Campag Record triple used a Campagnolo asymmetric triple BB of 111mm in length.

mrsummit said:
No, but you can substitute almost any 9-speed Shimano front derailleur. My preference is the Ultegra 6500 & 6503.

The 'normal' swing, bottom pull XTR 750 front derailleur is charcoal grey & was available in all clamp sizes + braze-on ... and, the top pull versions. The XTR front derailleur may have slightly more swing than the DA/Ultegra/105 front derailleurs, but I can't guarantee that to be the case.