Campagnolo Racing-T Cranks- distance to bottom bracket?

RobPerkins

Jan 28, 2013
I have installed a Campy Racing T crank on a 115.5mm Veloce bottom bracket. The crankarm sits 1-2mm away from the bottom bracket face. Does anyone have any experience with this? It seems ridiculously close.

Quote:Originally Posted by RobPerkins . I have installed a Campy Racing T crank on a 115.5mm Veloce bottom bracket. The crankarm sits 1-2mm away from the bottom bracket face. Does anyone have any experience with this? It seems ridiculously close.

I do NOT have those particular Campagnolo cranks ... but, I do have other square taper Campagnolo cranks [i.e., Record & Chorus which use 102mm BBs] and the visual clearance between the crank arms & BB cups is minimal ...

So, I believe YOUR concern is misplaced ...

YOU should be concerned with the clearance between the ends of the cranks and the chainstays ...

So, as long as you have a couple of millimeters-or-more of clearance between the cranks & the frame's stays, then you should be good to go.

IF you want to bump the cranks further from the frame, then a 113mm square taper SHIMANO BB will be the approximate equivalent of a non-existent 117mm Campagnolo square taper BB ...

OR, you could track down an older Campagnolo Euclid-or-Thron BB whose length I do not know but which will probably work for you.

N.B. A 115mm square taper Shimano BB will be symmetrical 99.9% of the time and will not work with your crank, AFAIK.

A 113mm square taper Shimano BB will be asymmetrical and will work with your crankset, AFAIK.

FWIW, My Chorus P-T and Chorus & Record U-T crankarms are VERY close to the outboard bearings/cups. Visually, 1-2 mm on the left side arm is about where mine set.

As Alf stated, the clearance from the arm and the inner chainring to the chainstay is more important.