Campagnolo Record 2006 Front Derailleur Question

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by JTE83, Nov 21, 2006.

1. JTE83

JTE83 Member

The outer cage is made of carbon fiber - so wouldn't this wear out with chain rub? Would the all metal Chorus derailleur be better?

If you have this deraiulleur how is it holding it to wear with the miles?

Tags:

2. schmuzzy

schmuzzy New Member

ive over 6,400 miles on my fr. derailer in 8 months and there are NO signs of wear.

i think what you are missing to see is that the carbon cage never touches the chain. a wear resistant nub is set into the front of the cage- it is this which touches the chain to knock it down to the lower chainring. The inside of the cage is metal as it has to actually push the chain over to get it to catch to the larger chain ring.

metal on inside- wear resistant composite inset on the outside. the carbon just keeps it all squared.

hope this explains it.

3. azdroptop

azdroptop New Member

My 06 set up has about 2600 miles now and shows a little wear from the crank arm rubbing when it was adjusted incorrectly. Other than that no worries. I think the Chours set up would be just fine and cheaper too.

4. JTE83

JTE83 Member

Thanks for the info. I've only seen web pics of this derailleur and they don't show how the inner surfaces contacts the chain so I thought the chain would rub CF which would wear out badly.

I'm considering upgrading my Chorus FD because there's a sale going on for an 06 Record FD for $59.95. If only there was a matching rear derailleur sale, otherwise my CF Soloist will be a Chorus / Record mix.

I only got Campy because my used ebay bike came with it. I prefer Shimano first, then Campy because it's cheaper than SRAM Force.

5. azdroptop

azdroptop New Member

Did you upgrade to a carbon soloist recently? I remember you used to have the Team addition? I had shimano on my first bike, but after having campy on the second I won't go back. I like the thumb shift and feel of campy.

6. JTE83

JTE83 Member

Upgrade? I have both the AL and CF Soloist. Just got the CF from ebay recently with Campy Chorus, Ksyrium SLs, Syntace 99, Record Ti pedals, Nokon cables, Ritchey Biomax Bars, and some cheap carbon cages for $3015 shipped. So my CF Soloist is actually cheaper than my AL one with Dura Ace 9 and HED 3s (about $3800 to $4000?). Got the AL frame and fork from ebay too for $968 a long time ago.

The CF Soloist is my 1st try using Campy.

7. IEatRice4Dinner

IEatRice4Dinner New Member

in addition to the nub campy bonds a small piece of metal on the inside of the cage. this is on the 2006 series, my 2005 never had it.

8. JTE83

JTE83 Member

I just wonder if mixing a Record FD will be ugly with the rest of the bike being Chorus. Yeah, the rear Record Derailluer is so expensive, but maybe I'll have to change it too for the bling factor.

This CF Soloist will be such a dream bike once I get the Zipp 404s and ergomo! And then it will be a $7000 bike! Just wish insurance could cover that!

9. sogood

sogood New Member

The minimal weight saving does not justify the cost of a carbon caged solitary FD. Functionally it's no different to Chorus. You are paying for the bling.

10. azdroptop

azdroptop New Member

Cool. I missed that you got a CF soloist. How much more do you like it over the aluminum if any? I've been really happy with the Aluminum version!

11. JTE83

JTE83 Member

I just gave the CF Soloist my first ride today. Because it has a shorter top tube than my AL one I can run a 90mm stem vs a 60mm one for the AL Soloist. Seems like better geometry although I thought both were supposed to have the same geometry specs.

MY AL Soloist is in Chicago while my CF Soloist is with me at my temp job in Bowling Green, KY. So I can't compare them one ride after another. But I would never race my CF Soloist although it's my best bike. I would race the AL one.

I haven't been riding except for Sundays because it's too dark after work for a workout. So my speed is now suffering. Did 16.8 mph avg at 152 HR today on the CF Soloist. I did 17.2 mph avg at 153 HR on my Giant OCR 1 with 2 Jandd panniers (on 9/21) - a 28 lb bike -- so yeah I'm losing fitness.

I don't notice the difference in ride between my AL bikes and my CF bikes!

12. azdroptop

azdroptop New Member

Cool. The big negative with my soloist is chasing the occastional noise. Seems every 2 or 300 miles I have a new annoying noise to hunt down. Mostly a loose bolt here or there and generally related to the seat post. I have to say though the bike is such a great ride that I'll continue to deal with the noise issues for now even though sometimes I feel like selling it.

13. JTE83

JTE83 Member

I never noticed any funny noises from any of my bikes except for chain rub on a derailleur which is bad because the stress broke off my front derailleur mount on my 06 Raleigh CF Prestige. Cost me $775 to get a replacement frame.