Campagnolo Scirocco wheels - opinions wanted

Mysterex

Guest
Hi all,

I need some new wheels for training and Campagnolo Scirocco seems like good value for money (on
paper anyway). Does anybody have any experience with these wheels, good or bad? My setup is
Veloce 9sp.

I had a pair of Campag wheels years ago and remember that tyres were very difficult to get on
and off. Also the hubs were not well sealed and let water in very easily. Has Campag sorted
that out yet?

An alternative is Mavic Cosmos which gets very good reviews but then I'd have to buy a new (Shimano)
cassette which makes the price a little less attractive - still good value though.

I've considered having wheels built eg. Campag hubs with Open Pro rims, etc but I don't know of a
good wheel builder in my area (I live in London) so I'd prefer to go with factory-built wheels.

Thanks in advance,

Craig.

"Mysterex" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Hi all,

<snip>
> An alternative is Mavic Cosmos which gets very good reviews but then I'd have to buy a new
> (Shimano) cassette which makes the price a little less attractive - still good value though.
>
> I've considered having wheels built eg. Campag hubs with Open Pro rims,
etc
> but I don't know of a good wheel builder in my area (I live in London) so I'd prefer to go with
> factory-built wheels.

Go to Geoffrey Butlers in Croydon and have them make you a set. Their wheelbuilding is
really good IME.

Mysterex wrote: ............
> Also the hubs were not well sealed and let water in very easily. Has Campag sorted that out yet?

I don't know much about the Scirocco wheels but I know they use the same hubs as current
Mirage/Veloce - which I have used. The rear uses "sealed" non-adjustable cartridge bearings. Some
water may get in but it would take a lot to flush out or muck up the bearings. They tend to be very
reliable and smooth running. Extra grease can be squirted in to some extent.

The front hub is a bog standard cup and cone job and is not so good, with minimal seals. It's
probably similar to the old one you used. Should be ok if it's frequently serviced, though.

See www.campagnolo.com/pdf/spares03_C.pdf - pdf pages 15 & 16

The better more expensive Campag hubs and wheels use a completely different and superior design for
both front and rear hubs. See rest of above manual and Centaur/Chorus/Record hubs.

~PB

I have a set of Sciroccos on my Centaur equipped Pinarello. I find them fantastic value. I race and train on them and the handle my 90kgs no problem. Had them a year and they've not needed truing yet.

The Pinarello is currently stripped and being upgraded to a race only bike with Record/ Chrorus. So the Sciroccos are going across to my Felt training frame.

They are a great wheel IMO, We don't suffer the rain and snow etc down here in Oz, so maybe the weather will factor in your decision re the water getting in the hub ( I have not experienced this).

I will upgrade to Neutron (or similar) for the race wheels. The only problem I have down here is finding good quality 48mm valve tubes for them.

Mysterex wrote:
> I've considered having wheels built eg. Campag hubs with Open Pro rims, etc but I don't know of a
> good wheel builder in my area (I live in London) so I'd prefer to go with factory-built wheels.

You could get handbuilt wheels mail order* or from one of the roadie shops in London (eg. Condor,
Shorter Rochford or Pearsons). Centaur/Chorus + Open Pro make for great value wheels which are light
and practical. Hubs will be easy to service and rims and spokes can easily and cheaply be replaced.
Alternatively, Xenon or Mirage hubs would save a lot of money and be just as good as the Scirocco's.

* www.sdeals.com are good (prices excl VAT),

* www.parker-international.co.uk are too aparently (their service is generaly excellent in my
experience although I haven't had wheels from them: probably will do next time as their prices
are so good).

~PB