Campagnolo Scirocco wheels

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Mysterex, Aug 3, 2003.

  1. Mysterex

    Mysterex Guest

    Hi all,

    I need some new wheels for training and Campagnolo Scirocco seems like good value for money (on
    paper anyway). Does anybody have any experience with these wheels, good or bad? My setup is
    Veloce 9sp.

    I had a pair of Campag wheels years ago and remember that tyres were very difficult to get on
    and off. Also the hubs were not well sealed and let water in very easily. Has Campag sorted
    that out yet?

    An alternative is Mavic Cosmos which gets very good reviews but then I'd have to buy a new (Shimano)
    cassette which makes the price a little less attractive - still good value though.

    I've considered having wheels built eg. Campag hubs with Open Pro rims, etc but I don't know of a
    good wheel builder in my area (I live in London) so I'd prefer to go with factory-built wheels.

    Thanks in advance,

    Craig.

    Tags:

  2. Suzy Jackson

    Suzy Jackson Guest

    "Mysterex" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > I need some new wheels for training and Campagnolo Scirocco seems like
    good
    > value for money (on paper anyway). Does anybody have any experience with these wheels, good or
    > bad? My setup is Veloce 9sp.

    Buy a pair of Daytona hubs, some Mavic Open Pro rims, and a fistful of spokes (DT 14/15/14 are
    good), and build yourself a set of wheels. It's very easy to do, and you'll end up with much better
    wheels than the factory built ones at a fraction of the price.

    I just built a new pair of race wheels for my bike, with Chorus hubs, 32 3X DT 14/15/14 spokes, and
    Silver Open Pro rims. Very sweet. My old race wheels (exactly the same, except 1998 Chorus with
    steel axles and Open 4 rims) are now my training wheels, having given many thousands of kilometres
    of trouble free service.

    Sheldon Browns website has a really good article on wheelbuilding. The most important thing to do is
    to get good (high) spoke tension, and stress relieve them properly.

    Regards,

    Suzy