Campagnolo Shamal & Shimano Dura-Ace

ClassicLook

Feb 29, 2012
Hi Everyone!
I've got a pair of Campagnolo Shamal wheels from the early 90's. It's got an 8 speed Campa Record cassette.
Can I use it with the old 8 speed Shimano Dura-Ace rear derailleur? Unfortunately I don't have Campa shifting system...

Paging Alfeng! Paging Mr. Alf Eng!

Please pick up the white courtesy phone!

The short answer is ...

• [COLOR= #0000ff]Yes, you can use the 8-speed Shamal wheel" with an otherwise 8-speed Shimano drivetrain BECAUSE the cog spacing on the two is systems is VERY CLOSE[/COLOR] ...

BUT, an 8-speed Shimano rear wheel CANNOT be hotswapped for an 8-speed Campagnolo rear wheel, and vice-versa ...

BECAUSE the Freehub offset is different ... so, the high-low stops of the rear derailleur need to be adjusted for the particular wheel.

IF a person is inclined, the Campagnolo Freehub body can be replaced with a Shimano-compatible Freehub body. This ([COLOR= #808080]below[/COLOR]) is one which was available from Jenson's ([COLOR= #008000]~$80US[/COLOR]) which is presumably intended for post-1998 rear hubs ...

I have seen similar replacements on eBay for about $50US which 'I' presume are for 8-speed hubs ([COLOR= #808080]it was NOT clear from the listings[/COLOR]) ... they happened to have only two pawls.

If you are really handy-or-motivated, you can also implement what I will refer to as an unauthorized Freehub body swap like this one which I did several years ago ...

• I cannibalized the Freehub body from a 36h Shimano-compatible hub which I decided that I wasn't going to use ...

• My implementation was a little lazy because MY observation is that the engagement ring on a Campagnolo hub is probably about 0.5mm[COLOR= #808080]-or-slightly-more[/COLOR] smaller in circumference than on most other hubs, but the teeth on the particular Campagnolo hub were worn enough that the pawls could pass & allow the Freehub to freewheel ...

• In a NEW hub, I would have to reduce the length of the pawls ([COLOR= #808080]which I should really do for the wheel pictured, above, but I figure they will wear down enough to make the freewheeling smoother ... eventually[/COLOR]) otherwise the Freehub body will be essentially locked to the hub body.

FYI. I don't have an 8-speed Campagnolo Freehub handy, but my reckoning at one time was that it wasn't that far off from a Shimano's spline pattern so that you could modify Shimano cogs to fit. To that end, a friend managed to comandeer a 34t cog from me which he did, indeed, fit onto his 8-speed Campagnolo hub ...

I never tried it, so I don't know how much-or-little modification to the notching had to be done ...

• that's a tedious way of saying that YOU should probably be able to modify a new 8-or-9-or-10-speed Shimano cassette to fit on your 8-speed Campagnolo Freehub body without too much effort ... but, no guarantees.

I have re-notched a Shimano cog to fit on a 9-speed Campagnolo Freehub body, but I would deem it t be a little dodgy.

BTW. More recent 8-speed Shimano-and-SRAM Cassettes are drastically better than the 90s vintage Cassettes because the older Cassettes had cogs which were not ramped ...

• IMO, the ramping makes a HUGE difference in how easily the chain moves between the cogs if-and/or-when the indexing is slightly off

---​

The final (?) point is one which many people are dreading ...

You can replace your 8-speed Shimano shifters with a set of 10-or-11-speed Campagnolo shifters to recreate 8-/9-/10-speed Shimano indexing when tandemed with an 8-/9-speed Shimano rear derailleur ...

How the rear derailleur cable is attached will affect the indexing ...

If you have the first generation 8-speed Dura Ace rear derailleur, then it is [COLOR= #ff0000]¿[/COLOR]apparently[COLOR= #ff0000]? [/COLOR][COLOR= #000000]equivalent to a current 10-speed Shimano rear derailleur ([/COLOR][COLOR= #ff0000]NO GUARANTEES!) [/COLOR][COLOR= #000000]which is equivalent to hubbub'd 8-or-9-speed Shimano rear derailleur where the rear derailleur cable is connected at 3 o'clock ...[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #000000][/COLOR]​

So, with all that verbiage behind us, while I would consider the LAST COLUMN ON THE RIGHT as being the relevant information which you want if your rear deraileur is a first generation 8-speed Dura Ace, it may indeed be the column from the middle ("old Dura-Ace") set.