Campagnolo/Shimano 9 problems

bannerrefugee

Sep 27, 2004
I run 9 speed Campagnolo shifters on Shimano 9 speed cogs with a Sram chain. I have done so for about 3 years. A week ago it got new housing and cables latter I put a new 9 speed cog and Sram chain on, and the shifting has gone to hell. It is totally unusable. I have adjusted cable tension, and changed the chain length neither helped. I took it to a shop, and they couldn’t do anything for it either. They told me the obvious thing, its the spacing DUH.

Any idea’s about causes? If I can’t get this fixed would you buy a Mavic Campagnolo free hub body, and install Campagnolo cogs? Or I could buy a set of Modelo shifters for about the same, and keep my new cogs on the oldish wheel. Thanks

The companies make different sized components/cable pull ratios. This is so that consumers only buy their parts. This lets them have clever marketing schemes. So lets say some things are cheap while others aren't. IE: campys insane prices for cassettes/chains/derailleurs.

So you need a shiftmate from jtek engineering.

http://jtekengineering.com/shiftmate.htm

bannerrefugee said:
I run 9 speed Campagnolo shifters on Shimano 9 speed cogs with a Sram chain. I have done so for about 3 years. A week ago it got new housing and cables latter I put a new 9 speed cog and Sram chain on, and the shifting has gone to hell. It is totally unusable. I have adjusted cable tension, and changed the chain length neither helped. I took it to a shop, and they couldn’t do anything for it either. They told me the obvious thing, its the spacing DUH.

Any idea’s about causes? If I can’t get this fixed would you buy a Mavic Campagnolo free hub body, and install Campagnolo cogs? Or I could buy a set of Modelo shifters for about the same, and keep my new cogs on the oldish wheel. Thanks

Avoid the Modolo. They won't work as well as your Ergos. I am not sure as to the cause, other than to suggest that your old chain and cassette had worn a bit and had enough slop to overcome the slight misalignment. Alternatively, the SRAM 9s chains are a bit different between their models, and the new 9s may be different than the old one.

I agree with Free ride that a shiftmate would be the cheapest and easiest definitive solution.

I changed the way the side of the mounting bolt the cable is attached to on the rear derailleur which improved the shifting. However it still was not as good as it had been, and I am starting to think something changed with the chain spec's or like John suggests it worked reasonably well because it had some slop in it.

Anyway I saw the Jtech thread on this board + some people on a different board suggested it so I ordered one. Thanks