Campagnolo/Shimano 9 speed compatability?

Fintone Qbassi

Guest
I know this has been asked before so feel free to send me a link to the information...

I need to know what is compatable between Shimano and Campagnolo in 9 speed shifting.

Specifically the compnents I would like to mix are:

9 Speed Campagnolo Ergo Levers 9 Speed Ultegra RD 9 Speed Campagnolo Cassette (Training Wheels) 9
Speed Shimano Cassette (Race Wheels)

I know the real answer is to use the same manufacturer's stuff and be done with it but, I have an
Ultegra setup and I don't like the way my hands fit on the Shimano lever hoods, The Campagnolo lever
body shape extends from the bars into nice long flats with lotsa nice hand positions.

Also I have an older set of Campagnolo wheels I would like to use with the setup.

Campy ergos need to be used with Campy rear der.

Shimano STI's can only be used w/ Shimano rear ders.

The rest are all interchangeable. Campy wheels with Shimano gear and vice versa. ... ...

>9 Speed Campagnolo Ergo Levers 9 Speed Ultegra RD 9 Speed Campagnolo Cassette (Training Wheels) 9
>Speed Shimano Cassette (Race Wheels)

="Fintone Qbassi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I know this has been asked before so feel free to send me a link to the information...
>
> I need to know what is compatable between Shimano and Campagnolo in 9
speed
> shifting.
>
> Specifically the compnents I would like to mix are:
>
> 9 Speed Campagnolo Ergo Levers 9 Speed Ultegra RD 9 Speed Campagnolo Cassette (Training Wheels) 9
> Speed Shimano Cassette (Race Wheels)
>
> I know the real answer is to use the same manufacturer's stuff and be done with it but, I have an
> Ultegra setup and I don't like the way my hands fit on the Shimano lever hoods, The Campagnolo
> lever body shape extends from the bars into nice long flats with lotsa nice hand positions.
>
> Also I have an older set of Campagnolo wheels I would like to use with the setup.

When you have either an Ergo lever and a Campagnolo rear changer _or_ an STi lever and a Shimano
changer, you can mix and match wheels to your heart's content.

There are several kludges for mixing levers and changers but generally keeping them matched is
best IMHO.

Sound like the thing you need is an Ultegra-quality Campagnolo changer such as the Veloce at under
$60 or the Centaur/Daytona at about $80.

fintone-<< Specifically the compnents I would like to mix are:

9 Speed Campagnolo Ergo Levers 9 Speed Ultegra RD 9 Speed Campagnolo Cassette (Training Wheels) 9
Speed Shimano Cassette (Race Wheels)

Will not wotk, need to match the shifters to the rder-Campagnolo-Campagnolo(any Campagnolo rder) or
shimano-shimano-

Otherwise the two wheels will work fine if you have either a matched Campagnolo shifter-rder or the
other maker-

<< I know the real answer is to use the same manufacturer's stuff and be done with it but, I have an
Ultegra setup

See above, you cannot use a Campagnolo 9s lever set with a shimano rder....

without a LOT of screwing around to geta mediocre result-it won;t work. The lever/deraileur is a
total mismatch, yu can mess with the cog spacing with comercialy available kits-but they really
don't work all that well (certainly not as well as a single-source system will). The days of
mix-and-match are gone. Thank goodness.

>The days of mix-and-match are gone. Thank goodness.

why "thank goodness" ? B

bikefixr-<< The days of mix-and-match are gone. Thank goodness.

Hmmmm, kinda liked it when you could go into a bike store and get any rear der(shimano, Simplex,
Huret, Campagnolo), put it on and it would work. Or any freewheel, any teeth shape, any number(as
long as it was 5/6/7) and it would work, samo for fders. And use some matthauser blocks or anything
else, it would work...

Now gotta have specific7/8/9/10s cogsets(still have 5/6/7s freewheels), specific chains,
manufacturer specific levers and ders, sometimes specific and unique into a manufacturers own
lineup(DA triple, Sram, shimano MTB fder), really interesting, but kinda a pain for the rider and
bike shop.

[email protected] (Bikefixr) wrote in news:[email protected]:

> without a LOT of screwing around to geta mediocre result-it won;t work. The lever/deraileur is a
> total mismatch, yu can mess with the cog spacing with comercialy available kits-but they really
> don't work all that well (certainly not as well as a single-source system will). The days of
> mix-and-match are gone. Thank goodness.

Actually, according to this article it works fine:

http://www.hubbub.com/ergoleverswshim9.htm

Haven't tried it myself, though.