campagnolo track hubs

nitrogenmustard

Feb 3, 2004
ok guys, i have a question for y'all:
if i get campagnolo track wheels, as in, with campagnolo track hubs, will i have to get a new cog for the back made by campy, or can i use my existing standard type cog. AND...... :if i need a new cog, will i have to get a new chain/chainring set to work with it?

thanx for the help
-nitro

nitrogenmustard said:
ok guys, i have a question for y'all:
if i get campagnolo track wheels, as in, with campagnolo track hubs, will i have to get a new cog for the back made by campy, or can i use my existing standard type cog. AND...... :if i need a new cog, will i have to get a new chain/chainring set to work with it?

thanx for the help
-nitro

Nitro,
as far as I know if you get an Italian thread hub you will need a new cog. But Campag makes English threaded hubs too. You should be able to see on the edge of the flange on the f/w side. If it says 1.37x24 then it's english. I believe the Italian marking would be 36x1mm. These refer to the thread pitch. Also, a "true" track sized f/w or chainring and chain are in the 1/2x1/8" pitch as opposed to the smaller 1/2x 3/32" derailleur sizing. While you can use a 1/2x1/8" chain on the smaller cog and sprocket it is not advisable. If you are a brute...get the 1/2x1/8" stuff...you will be much happier!!

Philman said:
Nitro,
as far as I know if you get an Italian thread hub you will need a new cog. But Campag makes English threaded hubs too. You should be able to see on the edge of the flange on the f/w side. If it says 1.37x24 then it's english. I believe the Italian marking would be 36x1mm. These refer to the thread pitch. Also, a "true" track sized f/w or chainring and chain are in the 1/2x1/8" pitch as opposed to the smaller 1/2x 3/32" derailleur sizing. While you can use a 1/2x1/8" chain on the smaller cog and sprocket it is not advisable. If you are a brute...get the 1/2x1/8" stuff...you will be much happier!!
I have never heard of or seen an italian threaded hub (not saying there isnt such a thing). i havent checked campag's web site but i have always assumed that there is only one size when it comes to track sprockets. I have used Campag wheels and screwed my "normal" (suntour and dura ace) sprockets straight on without hassle. From my knowledge you would be safe to get a set of campag wheels and not have to get new sprockets/chainrings. Even if the thread is different, track chains are all the same pitch and width 1/2"x1/8" so the chainrings definitely wont need changing (unless u change chain widths to 1/2"x3/32" as Philman has mentioned)

Simple answer: you won't need new cogs (sprockets or chainrings)