campagnolo triple front changer question

who here knows if any of the current/recent campagnolo 28.6mm
clamp-on front changer "clamps" can be used to convert a current/
recent braze-on front changer to work on a 28.6mm seat tube?

in 2005, the 28.6mm clamp-ons are limited to the lower end of the
price point spectrum. i may consider buying one to mine parts from
so i can use the braze-on version on frames without bosses on the
seat tube.

hey - thanks for helpin'!

e-RICHIE

"Omnia mutantur, nihil interit." - Ovid
On 3 Apr 2005 18:48:48 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>who here knows if any of the current/recent campagnolo 28.6mm
>clamp-on front changer "clamps" can be used to convert a current/
>recent braze-on front changer to work on a 28.6mm seat tube?
>
>in 2005, the 28.6mm clamp-ons are limited to the lower end of the
>price point spectrum. i may consider buying one to mine parts from
>so i can use the braze-on version on frames without bosses on the
>seat tube.

Across all current Campagnolo front derailleurs, the articulating
parts of one model may be freely interchanged with the various clamp
sizes or brazed-on fitting from any other model. You'll need to secure
the arms to its new mount with the fastener (c-clip or screw types)
appropriate for that fitting.

-------------------------------
John Dacey
Business Cycles, Miami, Florida
http://www.businesscycles.com
Since 1983
Our catalog of track equipment: online since 1996
-------------------------------

John Dacey wrote:
> "Omnia mutantur, nihil interit." - Ovid
> On 3 Apr 2005 18:48:48 -0700, [email protected] wrote:
>
> >who here knows if any of the current/recent campagnolo 28.6mm
> >clamp-on front changer "clamps" can be used to convert a current/
> >recent braze-on front changer to work on a 28.6mm seat tube?
> >
> >in 2005, the 28.6mm clamp-ons are limited to the lower end of the
> >price point spectrum. i may consider buying one to mine parts from
> >so i can use the braze-on version on frames without bosses on the
> >seat tube.

> Across all current Campagnolo front derailleurs, the articulating
> parts of one model may be freely interchanged with the various clamp
> sizes or brazed-on fitting from any other model. You'll need to

secure
> the arms to its new mount with the fastener (c-clip or screw types)
> appropriate for that fitting.
>
> -------------------------------
> John Dacey
> Business Cycles, Miami, Florida
> http://www.businesscycles.com
> Since 1983
> Our catalog of track equipment: online since 1996
> -------------------------------

thanks, john.
i'm assuming those c-clips/screw fasteners come with the
clamp-on front changer that i'll mine for the surgery.
e-RICHIE

On 3 Apr 2005 19:55:20 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>> >who here knows if any of the current/recent campagnolo 28.6mm
>> >clamp-on front changer "clamps" can be used to convert a current/
>> >recent braze-on front changer to work on a 28.6mm seat tube?
>> >
>> >in 2005, the 28.6mm clamp-ons are limited to the lower end of the
>> >price point spectrum. i may consider buying one to mine parts from
>> >so i can use the braze-on version on frames without bosses on the
>> >seat tube.

>> Across all current Campagnolo front derailleurs, the articulating
>> parts of one model may be freely interchanged with the various clamp
>> sizes or brazed-on fitting from any other model. You'll need to

>secure
>> the arms to its new mount with the fastener (c-clip or screw types)
>> appropriate for that fitting.

>thanks, john.
>i'm assuming those c-clips/screw fasteners come with the
>clamp-on front changer that i'll mine for the surgery.
>e-RICHIE

Er, sorry -- I think I put that artlessly. I just meant that whichever
type of retainer is used (c-clip or screw) to keep the articulating
bits captive, it will stay on its original mount. As you note, the
fastener will come with any derailleur you may buy.

-------------------------------

[email protected] wrote:
> who here knows if any of the current/recent campagnolo 28.6mm
> clamp-on front changer "clamps" can be used to convert a current/
> recent braze-on front changer to work on a 28.6mm seat tube?

You can switch clamps/brazeon assemblies with any Campagnolo front der4.
Centaur and below are held on with a c-clip rather than 3mm allen but
you can use either.

[email protected] wrote:
> who here knows if any of the current/recent campagnolo 28.6mm
> clamp-on front changer "clamps" can be used to convert a current/
> recent braze-on front changer to work on a 28.6mm seat tube?
>
> in 2005, the 28.6mm clamp-ons are limited to the lower end of the
> price point spectrum. i may consider buying one to mine parts from
> so i can use the braze-on version on frames without bosses on the
> seat tube.
>
> hey - thanks for helpin'!
>
> e-RICHIE

Lickton's has an adapter clamp for your braze on. They identify it as
QBP/Shimano adapter clamp 28.6.
I have one which I use with a Record braze on. It works well and looks good.

--
Bob Wheeler --- http://www.bobwheeler.com/
ECHIP, Inc. ---

"Bob Wheeler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] wrote:
>> who here knows if any of the current/recent campagnolo 28.6mm
>> clamp-on front changer "clamps" can be used to convert a current/
>> recent braze-on front changer to work on a 28.6mm seat tube?
>>
>> in 2005, the 28.6mm clamp-ons are limited to the lower end of the
>> price point spectrum. i may consider buying one to mine parts from
>> so i can use the braze-on version on frames without bosses on the
>> seat tube.
>>
>> hey - thanks for helpin'!
>>
>> e-RICHIE
>>

> Lickton's has an adapter clamp for your braze on. They identify it as
> QBP/Shimano adapter clamp 28.6.
> I have one which I use with a Record braze on. It works well and looks
> good.
>
> --
> Bob Wheeler --- http://www.bobwheeler.com/
> ECHIP, Inc. ---
> Randomness comes in bunches.

i wouldn't use an adapter, even at gunpoint.
i think campagnolo made a mistake discontinuing their
28.6 clamp-on front changers in the top tier groups. i
think that using shims/adapters sanctions their decisions.
me doth protest!
e-RICHIE

Richard Sachs wrote:

> i wouldn't use an adapter, even at gunpoint.

Whyfor the hatred of braze-ons? I reckon they're kinda neat, and stop
the derailleur from marring the paintwork. On my tourer, I've even got
a nice stainless steel tab for it to sit on. I don't notice that
they're any harder to adjust or anything...

Regards,

Suzy

PS: I've got a Chorus 28.6mm band-on (near-new) that I'd be happy to
swap for a Chorus braze-on one in similar condition... Or just the
clamp, if you'd prefer...

On 5 Apr 2005 00:25:37 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>Richard Sachs wrote:
>
>> i wouldn't use an adapter, even at gunpoint.

>Whyfor the hatred of braze-ons? I reckon they're kinda neat, and stop
>the derailleur from marring the paintwork. On my tourer, I've even got
>a nice stainless steel tab for it to sit on. I don't notice that
>they're any harder to adjust or anything...
>
>Regards,
>
>Suzy
>
>PS: I've got a Chorus 28.6mm band-on (near-new) that I'd be happy to
>swap for a Chorus braze-on one in similar condition... Or just the
>clamp, if you'd prefer...

Dear Suzy,

A normally non-dogmatic source has stated with less than his
usual shyness that braze-on derailleurs are the work of
Satan:

http://groups.google.co.uk/[email protected]&rnum=1
or http://tinyurl.com/53u45

His feelings may arise from sad experience with adjustment
problems when the owner wants to try larger or smaller chain
rings.

Carl Fogel

On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 00:25:37 -0700, Suzy.Jackson wrote:

> Richard Sachs wrote:
>
>> i wouldn't use an adapter, even at gunpoint.

> Whyfor the hatred of braze-ons? I reckon they're kinda neat, and stop
> the derailleur from marring the paintwork. On my tourer, I've even got
> a nice stainless steel tab for it to sit on. I don't notice that
> they're any harder to adjust or anything...

It's not a question of "hating" braze-ons; rather it's the reaction to
Campagnolo ignoring a large segment of the market. There was a time that
all frames had 28.6mm seattubes, and I would imagine that there are still
a fair number being made. There are also millions out there still being
ridden.

I couldn't get a front derailleur for a 28.6mm downtube today at my LBS.
Annoying.

As far as braze-on fittings go, they are limited in that you can't use
them with smaller (or larger) chainrings than they were designed for.
Having a clamp is more adaptable.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | "Business!" cried the Ghost. "Mankind was my business. The
_`\(,_ | common welfare was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance,
(_)/ (_) | and benevolence, were, all, my business. The dealings of my
trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my
business!" --Dickens, "A Christmas Carol"

yeah what david said.
e-RICHIE

David L. Johnson wrote:
> On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 00:25:37 -0700, Suzy.Jackson wrote:
>

> > Richard Sachs wrote:
> >
> >> i wouldn't use an adapter, even at gunpoint.

> > Whyfor the hatred of braze-ons? I reckon they're kinda neat, and

stop
> > the derailleur from marring the paintwork. On my tourer, I've even

got
> > a nice stainless steel tab for it to sit on. I don't notice that
> > they're any harder to adjust or anything...

> It's not a question of "hating" braze-ons; rather it's the reaction

> Campagnolo ignoring a large segment of the market. There was a time

that
> all frames had 28.6mm seattubes, and I would imagine that there are

still
> a fair number being made. There are also millions out there still

being
> ridden.
>
> I couldn't get a front derailleur for a 28.6mm downtube today at my

LBS.
> Annoying.
>
> As far as braze-on fittings go, they are limited in that you can't

use
> them with smaller (or larger) chainrings than they were designed for.

> Having a clamp is more adaptable.
>
> --
>
> David L. Johnson
>
> __o | "Business!" cried the Ghost. "Mankind was my business. The
> _`\(,_ | common welfare was my business; charity, mercy,

forbearance,
> (_)/ (_) | and benevolence, were, all, my business. The dealings of

my
> trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean

of my
> business!" --Dickens, "A Christmas Carol"

"Curiosis fabricavit inferos." - Augustine of Hippo
On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 11:43:01 -0600, [email protected] wrote:

>Dear Suzy,
>
>A normally non-dogmatic source has stated with less than his
>usual shyness that braze-on derailleurs are the work of
>Satan:
>
>http://groups.google.co.uk/[email protected]&rnum=1
>or http://tinyurl.com/53u45
>
>His feelings may arise from sad experience with adjustment
>problems when the owner wants to try larger or smaller chain
>rings.

I don't presume to speak for Venerable Brown, but I suspect that if
the issue was only the limited range of height adjustment for
chainring sizes, he might regard brazed-on derailleur mounts as the
handiwork of a Lesser Demon.

Artless location of the mounting tab by the fabricator of the frame
such that the outer derailleur cage doesn't trace the contour of the
chainring properly is is a more common source of mechanics'
frustrations. Even a small error in the angle that the tab is placed
on the seatmast can turn an installation and adjustment that should be
made in a minute or two into an hour-long debate with oneself over
what constitutes "as good as this one's gonna get".

-------------------------------

John Dacey
Business Cycles, Miami, Florida
http://www.businesscycles.com
Since 1983
Our catalog of track equipment: online since 1996

-------------------------------

Stolen From A Station Near the Metro

The acquisition of components unattended:
Pedals from a wet, black bike.
- Erza Pound

On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 00:55:38 -0400, John Dacey
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"Curiosis fabricavit inferos." - Augustine of Hippo
>On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 11:43:01 -0600, [email protected] wrote:
>
>>Dear Suzy,
>>
>>A normally non-dogmatic source has stated with less than his
>>usual shyness that braze-on derailleurs are the work of
>>Satan:
>>
>>http://groups.google.co.uk/[email protected]&rnum=1
>>or http://tinyurl.com/53u45
>>
>>His feelings may arise from sad experience with adjustment
>>problems when the owner wants to try larger or smaller chain
>>rings.

>I don't presume to speak for Venerable Brown, but I suspect that if
>the issue was only the limited range of height adjustment for
>chainring sizes, he might regard brazed-on derailleur mounts as the
>handiwork of a Lesser Demon.
>
>Artless location of the mounting tab by the fabricator of the frame
>such that the outer derailleur cage doesn't trace the contour of the
>chainring properly is is a more common source of mechanics'
>frustrations. Even a small error in the angle that the tab is placed
>on the seatmast can turn an installation and adjustment that should be
>made in a minute or two into an hour-long debate with oneself over
>what constitutes "as good as this one's gonna get".
>

>-------------------------------
>
>John Dacey
>Business Cycles, Miami, Florida
>http://www.businesscycles.com
>Since 1983
>Our catalog of track equipment: online since 1996
>
>-------------------------------
>
>++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>Stolen From A Station Near the Metro
>
>The acquisition of components unattended:
>Pedals from a wet, black bike.
>- Erza Pound
>++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Dear John,

Sheldon was commenting on this height complaint from Jens
Kurt Heycke, who couldn't mount a larger chain-ring:

> My Trek had an Ultegra triple. I tried to put a 54 and then 53 on it,
> but the front derailleur holes were too low -- I couldn't get
> the derailleur high enough to clear. I don't know if this would
> apply to other bikes. The triple derailleur cage just hangs
> too low to accomodate the big rings.

But you're right--Sheldon also denounces brazen evil when
it's angled wrong:

http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?hl=en&lr=&q=sheldon+satan+braze*&meta=group=rec.bicycles.tech
or http://tinyurl.com/43k7d

The Indexed Shiftorum Prohibitorum above includes sordid
examples of both height and angle problems that can scarcely
be discussed in polite company, but which Sheldon fearlessly
cast into the nether darkness.

Carl Fogel