Campagnolo upgrade - 9sp to 10sp

scholefn

Dec 21, 2010
Hi

My first post! I'm after some guidance on upgrading my Campagnolo groupset. I have just purchased a 2nd hand Bianchi ML3 from 2004. It has a 9 Speed with Mirage front levers, Veloce cranks, & Mirage rear deraileur. The person I bought it from had obtained a brand new Miche 10 speed cassette which was made to fit the hub / frame. I'd like to upgrade the rest of the bits for 10 speed using 2nd hand stuff and am trying to work out what's compatible and which bits I need to upgrade.

I'm assuming I need new shifters and a new rear deraileur that are 10 speed. Is this correct? Will any 10 speed Campagnolo ones do, eg. Record, Chorus, Centaur? Does it matter what age they are? Any other points I'm missing?

Thanks

Nick

FWIW. Because you already have the 10-speed cassette, in theory you simply need a new 10-speed indexing wheel + a new 10-speed Campagnolo-compatible chain. You should not need a new rear derailleur.

If you do NOT change the indexing wheel as a DIY endeavor then it is probably just as economical to buy a replacement shifter [COLOR= #808080](or, a set of shifters and then sell the old set on eBay)[/COLOR] due to the labor cost a shop will charge you ... so, any 10-speed Campagnolo shifter will do ... even a Xenon-based, 10-speed QS shifter (why pay more?) ...

• If the Xenon-based QS shifter ever fails, you can move the indexing wheel to your 9-speed Mirage shifter and turn it into a 10-speed shifter.

In theory, you may also be able to use an 11-speed Campagnolo shifter if you attach the rear derailleur cable at 9 o'clock on your current Campagnolo rear derailleur to achieve 10-speed Campagnolo indexing -- you may need a MOLLY HOOK type washer (as found on most Shimano rear derailleurs) if the rear derailleur's anchoring washer doesn't have a "hook." [COLOR= #ff0000]NO PROMISES ON THIS ... I haven't tested it, yet![/COLOR]

Thanks alfeng. Great news that I only need new shifters. I surfed around and realised that the replacement parts needed in the 9sp shifters aren't that much cheaper than a set of 10 sp ones so I'll look out for some of those. I'll just need to work out what to do with the Mirage ones.

Originally Posted by scholefn .

Hi

My first post! I'm after some guidance on upgrading my Campagnolo groupset. I have just purchased a 2nd hand Bianchi ML3 from 2004. It has a 9 Speed with Mirage front levers, Veloce cranks, & Mirage rear deraileur. The person I bought it from had obtained a brand new Miche 10 speed cassette which was made to fit the hub / frame. I'd like to upgrade the rest of the bits for 10 speed using 2nd hand stuff and am trying to work out what's compatible and which bits I need to upgrade.

I'm assuming I need new shifters and a new rear deraileur that are 10 speed. Is this correct? Will any 10 speed Campagnolo ones do, eg. Record, Chorus, Centaur? Does it matter what age they are? Any other points I'm missing?

Thanks

Nick
Either new shifters or a competent LBS can convert the RH lever to 10s with a shifting disc and toothed bushing for the front of the lever. If not worn out, the RD will work fine with 10s w/o any modification.

BTW-Xenon based shift innards are not compatible with non Xenon based levers. You cannot put any Xenon based innards into your Mirage ERGO lever.

Originally Posted by alfeng .

Quote: Either new shifters or a competent LBS can convert the RH lever to 10s with a shifting disc and toothed bushing for the front of the lever. If not worn out, the RD will work fine with 10s w/o any modification.
BTW-Xenon based shift innards are not compatible with non Xenon based levers. You cannot put any Xenon based innards into your Mirage ERGO lever.
FYI. Making a blanket statement that "any Xenon based innards" cannot be used in an ERGO lever is mostly true, BUT inaccurate ...

The Xenon-based indexing wheel ("disc") will fit on a non-Record/Chorus main shaft (e.g., [COLOR= rgb(128, 128, 128)]post-2000/pre-2007[/COLOR] Mirage/Veloce/Centaur).

I am beginning to suspect that your inability to successfully update an 8-speed Campagnolo shifter does not accurately reflect whether or not an 8-speed Campagnolo shifter can be updated.

Well, big anonymous fella, why don't you explain how a shift disc from any Xenon ERGO lever will fit into a Centaur/Veloce/Mirage ERGO lever built between 2000 and 2006, since those innards are the same as CHorus, with Record being drilled out, lighter?

http://branfordbike.com/articles/campagnolo-ergo-lever-parts-1998-2007-pg71.htm

Then look up the Campagnolo spare parts PDF(If you can't so this, I can help) go to page 67 of the 2006 book, look at part number EC-XE-013 and tell me how you can install this into a 2000-2006 Centaur/veloce/Mirage. be specific!! Neatness counts!!

A year-or-so ago, I made the fore mentioned, suggested transplant of a 10-speed indexing wheel from a Xenon-based, Centaur QS shifter to a post-2000/pre-2007 Mirage shifter -- it can be done despite the belief of some that it cannot be done.

BTW. The outer diameter of the main shaft of Centaur-and-below shifters is infinitesmally smaller than the outer diameter of the main shaft of the Record-and-Chorus shifters because the it matches the inner diameter of the ball bearing "cartridge" which is infinitesmally larger than the inner diameter of the bushing which is used in the Centaur-and-below shifters ...

So, although most of the components from the less expensive Campagnolo ERGO ([COLOR= #808080]vs. Xenon-based[/COLOR]) shifters can be cannibalized for use in the Record-and-Chorus shifters, and vice-versa, it is an incorrect statement to suggest that all of the "[COLOR= #0000ff]those (Centaur/Veloce/Mirage ERGO lever built between 2000 and 2006) innards are the same as CHorus, with Record being drilled out, lighter?[/COLOR]"