Campagnolo UT outboard bearing durability

sogood

Aug 24, 2006
Been on some forums and there's a group of users who believes that Campagnolo UT crankset's bearing design is prone to early failure. The stated reason was poor seal leading to exposure to the elements and early wear. Some of them stated that their bearings wore out within 10k km.

I have to say that I have never heard of these and wondered what's people's experience with their? Any truth? For my two UT equipped biked, I have not had any problems so far. Though their mileages are still on the low side.

sogood said:
Been on some forums and there's a group of users who believes that Campagnolo UT crankset's bearing design is prone to early failure. The stated reason was poor seal leading to exposure to the elements and early wear. Some of them stated that their bearings wore out within 10k km.

I have to say that I have never heard of these and wondered what's people's experience with their? Any truth? For my two UT equipped biked, I have not had any problems so far. Though their mileages are still on the low side.

We have installed many and have replaced 3 bearings, all on the left side. I wouldn't say their sealing is any better or worse than others of this design. Bearing seals on the outboard of the bearings and seals inside the cups, inboard of the bearings work well.

What is essential is to add lotsa grease to the cups and bearings before installation. can't use too much grease.

Peter@vecchios said:
What is essential is to add lotsa grease to the cups and bearings before installation. can't use too much grease.
Thanks for that insight Peter. Maybe some marine grade grease to make it more water resistant for those wet day rides.