• just love using Campagnolo

Votes: 68 17.6%
  • like using shimaNO

Votes: 149 38.5%
  • using mavic or other

Votes: 170 43.9%

• Total voters
Boni said:
As I said before, there is nothing like Campy. And when you race, you need to have that edge. Check out my web site.

:)

So imagine how much faster LA would go with Campy components. He mustn't be so smart and focussed after all. :rolleyes:

mitosis said:
So imagine how much faster LA would go with Campy components. He mustn't be so smart and focussed after all. :rolleyes:
That is probablly why he is retiring so he can stop using Shitmano.

996vtwin said:
That is probablly why he is retiring so he can stop using Shitmano.

Well why don't you start a thread asking why LA is retiring? That answer would rate pretty high I would imagine. Make sure you learn to spell first. ;)

Shimano vs. Campagnolo is like comparing Ferrari vs. Honda. Obviously one is more popular because is more affordable while the other is the finest and sexiest money can buy.

Then there is the ones that equip Italian frames like Colango with Shimano. Imagine a Ferrari with a honda motor... Eeeew! Please stop crossbreeding.

Italian + Italian= Sexy
Italian + Fishing Reels = Yuk!

What do people who know look for? Performance, Durability, Serviceability. When Looks matches those 3, then you've got a winner.

By the way, the Shimano DA control levers and crankset are the uggliest ever made. All they need is fishing poles attached to them and you'll be ready to spend the day fishing with grandpa. Then again, one person's trash is another's treasure. Beauty is in the 3rd party perspective. If it looks uggly to most, then it's uggly.

Does Campagnolo make Fishing Equipment? I bet you they wouln't be cought dead doing it.

I love tradition, and when I hear cycling, I think Italian components.

vortex3d said:
Shimano vs. Campagnolo is like comparing Ferrari vs. Honda. Obviously one is more popular because is more affordable while the other is the finest and sexiest money can buy.

Then there is the ones that equip Italian frames like Colango with Shimano. Imagine a Ferrari with a honda motor... Eeeew! Please stop crossbreeding.

Italian + Italian= Sexy
Italian + Fishing Reels = Yuk!

What do people who know look for? Performance, Durability, Serviceability. When Looks matches those 3, then you've got a winner.

By the way, the Shimano DA control levers and crankset are the uggliest ever made. All they need is fishing poles attached to them and you'll be ready to spend the day fishing with grandpa. Then again, one person's trash is another's treasure. Beauty is in the 3rd party perspective. If it looks uggly to most, then it's uggly.

Does Campagnolo make Fishing Equipment? I bet you they wouln't be cought dead doing it.

I love tradition, and when I hear cycling, I think Italian components.
I like the way you think - keep up the good work!

My new set of Record carbon cranks (along with some other Italian goodies) is due to arrive in the mail in the next day or so. Needless to say I can't wait - I'll probably carry them around with me for a day or so before putting them on the bike, they're so incredibly gorgeous.

When you compare Campy next to Shitmano in every respect (functionality, durability, weight, technology and sex appeal) I must say it's kind of ignorant and pathetic for anyone to get remotely excited about Shitmano. It does a job - frankly, it probably does a reasonably good job - but that's it. Where's the passion and respect for cycling tradition?

One other thing I find kind of amusing is that LA rides Shitmano and is sponsored by Subaru. Doesn't that particular trio make a perfect fit?

Just my humble opinion...

Cheers

Matt N said:
I like the way you think - keep up the good work!

My new set of Record carbon cranks (along with some other Italian goodies) is due to arrive in the mail in the next day or so. Needless to say I can't wait - I'll probably carry them around with me for a day or so before putting them on the bike, they're so incredibly gorgeous.

When you compare Campy next to Shitmano in every respect (functionality, durability, weight, technology and sex appeal) I must say it's kind of ignorant and pathetic for anyone to get remotely excited about Shitmano. It does a job - frankly, it probably does a reasonably good job - but that's it. Where's the passion and respect for cycling tradition?

One other thing I find kind of amusing is that LA rides Shitmano and is sponsored by Subaru. Doesn't that particular trio make a perfect fit?

Just my humble opinion...

Cheers
Personally i find the thumb shifter on Campy really anoying, it just doesn't fit where i like to keep my hands. Also when you are in the drops you have no hope of getting to them. I also find my Ultegra (2005 model, the one that looks like DA) has a much cleaner and easier feel then campy.

jcjordan said:
Personally i find the thumb shifter on Campy really anoying, it just doesn't fit where i like to keep my hands. Also when you are in the drops you have no hope of getting to them.

Not true at all.

Personally i find the thumb shifter on Campy really anoying, it just doesn't fit where i like to keep my hands. Also when you are in the drops you have no hope of getting to them. I also find my Ultegra (2005 model, the one that looks like DA) has a much cleaner and easier feel then campy.
You my friend must be a midget or giant not to be able to use the Campy Ergo Power Levers. Any normal hand can use the thumb shifter from the top or drops. Perhaps you just like the dislocating effect of the DA. I know i hate seeing it. It reminds me of more fishing gear. The lever swinging it's a monstrosity from an engineering point of view, there's nothing appealing about it. DA just looks horrible.

Don't get me wrong, I own shimano on my everyday training bike. I can just beat the **** out of it and not feel bad about it. If it breaks, I toss it and buy a new one. On the other hand, if one of my campy record carbon parts got injured, I would sob. Not because of the cost, but because I damaged a piece of art.

As far as Lance is concerned, he's just doing his job the best he can with the **** they give him, I would too if i was getting paid for it. Is like being a soldier and given a particular weapon to fight. You may not like it, but is all you've got to do the job and stay alive.

By the way, this Shimano/Campy turd slinging has been going on since I can remember. It's very hard to make sense of nonsense.

Campagnolo is about a Cyclist's dream, not a (Let's tap this market) Corporation.

jcjordan said:
Actually where I live everyone used Shitmano. Of course when I rolled in with my new Picasso Campag Record I was the talk of the town. It was just fabulous to be a trendsetter. Now the fashion is cathing on....just fabulous.

I have owned both the Shimano Ultegra and the Campagnolo Chorus. I can honestly say that I have not had a problem with either one. I love them both. :)

ChangMan said:
I have owned both the Shimano Ultegra and the Campagnolo Chorus. I can honestly say that I have not had a problem with either one. I love them both. :)
I think it has come down to aestetics and serviceability. I know some shimano parts aren't serviceable. But really guys, shouldn't we be riding instead of worrying about the next guy's equipment? :D

vortex3d said:
You my friend must be a midget or giant not to be able to use the Campy Ergo Power Levers. Any normal hand can use the thumb shifter from the top or drops.

The mate who has campy is on a Fort bike and the few times I have taken his bike for a spin I found the campy thumb levers to be annoying and impossible to reach when down in the drops, as a matter of fact I can't see anyone being able to reach them. When sitting on the hoods they rubbed my thumb the wrong way and we just annoying. Admittedly I have only ever run Shimano so I have gotten use to the way they work and sit.

vortex3d said:
Perhaps you just like the dislocating effect of the DA. I know i hate seeing it. It reminds me of more fishing gear. The lever swinging it's a monstrosity from an engineering point of view, there's nothing appealing about it. DA just looks horrible.

Why is a monstrosity, I have found my Ultegra to be clean and easy to change and give a much more positive and consistent feel then when I used the equivalent campy stuff.

vortex3d said:
As far as Lance is concerned, he's just doing his job the best he can with the **** they give him, I would too if i was getting paid for it. Is like being a soldier and given a particular weapon to fight. You may not like it, but is all you've got to do the job and stay alive.

In fairness how would you know, Lance could prefer the why Shimano works like a lot of other people.

vortex3d said:
By the way, this Shimano/Campy turd slinging has been going on since I can remember. It's very hard to make sense of nonsense. .

Well looking at the current distribution in the Pro Tour (also taken from the latest Ride magazine: issue 28):

11 running campy
9 running Shimano

So I guess we will be seeing this conversation going on till the end of time. :p

jcjordan said:
The mate who has campy is on a Fort bike and the few times I have taken his bike for a spin I found the campy thumb levers to be annoying and impossible to reach when down in the drops, as a matter of fact I can't see anyone being able to reach them. When sitting on the hoods they rubbed my thumb the wrong way and we just annoying. Admittedly I have only ever run Shimano so I have gotten use to the way they work and sit.

Why is a monstrosity, I have found my Ultegra to be clean and easy to change and give a much more positive and consistent feel then when I used the equivalent campy stuff.

In fairness how would you know, Lance could prefer the why Shimano works like a lot of other people.

Well looking at the current distribution in the Pro Tour (also taken from the latest Ride magazine: issue 28):

11 running campy
9 running Shimano

So I guess we will be seeing this conversation going on till the end of time. :p
Please PLEASE PLEASE! Stop comparing them! If Campag were a woman she would be sleek and slender with model like features , with class and elegance. She would be wearing hand made silk italian underwear with milky clean skin and curves like a sculpture. If Shimano was a woman she would be a loud mouth fat white trash living in a trailer park with ugly shoes and hair curlers. She would be divorced with 8 children ....get my drift???

And for those of that talk about the thumb shifter being odd, its like if you are accostomed to eating McDonalds all your life , how can you appreciate fine cuisine?

996vtwin said:
Please PLEASE PLEASE! Stop comparing them! If Campag were a woman she would be sleek and slender with model like features , with class and elegance. She would be wearing hand made silk italian underwear with milky clean skin and curves like a sculpture. If Shimano was a woman she would be a loud mouth fat white trash living in a trailer park with ugly shoes and hair curlers. She would be divorced with 8 children ....get my drift???

And for those of that talk about the thumb shifter being odd, its like if you are accostomed to eating McDonalds all your life , how can you appreciate fine cuisine?
I second that analogy. Additionally, Campy users know is about the love for sport and its roots. Think of it as eating Italian food at a Japanese restaurant.

As far as the shifting is concerned, I can use both just fine, and like I said before I train on Shimano because I can beat it like a pimp beats a *****. It's just weird and disturbing to see the lever swinging to the side. Plus, the cables are NOT EVEN AERO? I think Shimano was thinking "GODZILLA!! :eek: when they made DA. :)

STOP THE DENIAL, DA is just UGLY looking. The levers look like a couple of malignant growths on the handlebars and the cranks look like cheap 1980 plastic Toyota hubcaps. Just look at the profile of the campy Ergo Levers and cranks and compare it to DA. You will have to be artistically challenged to deny campy looks much, much better and appealing. Make sure before comparing, you smack yourself into neutrality or ask a fellow unbiased rider to do it for you.

POINT OF THE DAY: Who cares what Lance rides anyway. Are you all monkeys copying what the winner uses. Before USPS, Lance rode custom rigs and was concerned about racing off-the-shelf bikes. But as you all can see, he proved that is not about what brand you ride, is about passion, determination, and training. We can also go into Paolo Betini, but that's another thread.

I`m sure you talked about that before but I won`t search..so: I`m using Shimano and my father has Campagnolo. I don`t know how anyone can like that button for shiffting down! It`s too much space between that button and up-shiffter, while Shimano has both on the same place. I even can`t grab the lever if I want to reach both shiffters during riding in standing position! Campagnolo is very strange for me..what`s your opinion about that?

while i could just about flip a coin between choosing record and da, i wanted to relate this.
a shop mgr round here, lotsa ital bikes comin out of his shop
(colnago, de rosa, mondonico) had gone from shimano to campy out of disgust for ultegra (i know, not da) and passion for tradition. built himself up a couple custom bikes with record, even his s works has record.

but i asked him what he thought now about record vs. da and he went with da. and he told me "you know how i was about campy"

he cited the integral bb crank taking over from the square taper, hood comfort and postion range over cramped ergo, and stiff alloy made for racing advantage instead of carbon used for "visual appeal" as stated in the campy catalog.
these guys also set up a few bikes and da setup was preferable in his opinion. kinda alarming to see this purist cross the pond.

now, as for the owner of this shop, a campy afficianado, when i boldly asked him if da was his choice now, he involuntarily scrunched hid face and quickly shook his head from side to side. catching himself, perhaps hoping against hope i would actualy spend any money there, he said with perhaps forced enthusiasm, "it is smooth though"

and the 1979 toyota i had sure got me around, cheap, plastic hubcaps 'n all.

vortex3d said:
I second that analogy. Additionally, Campy users know is about the love for sport and its roots. Think of it as eating Italian food at a Japanese restaurant.

STOP THE DENIAL, DA is just UGLY looking. The levers look like a couple of malignant growths on the handlebars and the cranks look like cheap 1980 plastic Toyota hubcaps. Just look at the profile of the campy Ergo Levers and cranks and compare it to DA. You will have to be artistically challenged to deny campy looks much, much better and appealing. Make sure before comparing, you smack yourself into neutrality or ask a fellow unbiased rider to do it for you.

that story is very depressing. I too switched the pond from DA to record. There is really not much difference other then the Campy hardly needs re-tunning. Both actually work well though although the Campag appears more precise. Looks wise there is not doubt and to me that is the determining factor.

Virenque said:
I`m sure you talked about that before but I won`t search..so: I`m using Shimano and my father has Campagnolo. I don`t know how anyone can like that button for shiffting down! It`s too much space between that button and up-shiffter, while Shimano has both on the same place. I even can`t grab the lever if I want to reach both shiffters during riding in standing position! Campagnolo is very strange for me..what`s your opinion about that?
Hi,

I can shift with both just fine. Think of it this way, if you always drove in England, driving in the United States would take some getting used to, right? It doesn't mean is not good. Just different than what you've been used to. This is why I use both. I remember the days when I had to shift from the down-tube. Imagine how much *****ing there would be if that was still being used today.

Again, is not about how you do it, it's about just doing it. I hear alot of *****ing about functionality which is not what this thread is about. Both groups are good in their own right, but like i said before, I like Campagnolo because of the history, tradition and aestetics. It's a religion in itself. The Trinity for me is Colnago, Cinelli, Campagnolo.

If you guys had a pick between an Acura (Honda) NSX and any Ferrari or Lamborgini which one would u pick?

I do have an off the subject question. Does anyone know why Pinarello framesets have no brace for the front derralieur. They force you to install clamp-ons which risks scratching the paint. Hmm, someone fell asleep there?

Now back to Shimanolo....:D

vortex3d said:
I like Campagnolo because of the history, tradition and aestetics. It's a religion in itself. The Trinity for me is Colnago, Cinelli, Campagnolo.

Bianchi too?

Have to be a quaternary then.

mitosis said:
Bianchi too?
There are other Italian brands out there that represent the same. However, the three I mentioned are my personal best. I also like Gios and Bianchi even though the Celeste is a bit on the femenine side.

As for the topic, Shimano will always be there to anoy Campagnolo like an uggly illegitimate step brother. :D

As the topic continues, I keep staring at the Shimano levers on my training bike....yuk, but they work well. It's like having sex with an uggly woman in the dark, as long as you don't see her you'll eventually reach an orgasm. :)