Votes: 0 0.0%
  • just love using Campagnolo

Votes: 68 17.6%
  • like using shimaNO

Votes: 149 38.5%
  • using mavic or other

Votes: 170 43.9%

• Total voters
Ok i am the one who started this post people get in her say oh shimaNo is **** and thats it well tell use y. ok I Hve ridden both Campagnolo Record and shimaNO dur-ace when building up my new bike which i built my self and odered pats my self. Of course i decide 2 get campagnolo record. if u c a bike u like just arsk teh sales man 2 put the groupset on it which u like and if it is say 105 they can easly put Campgnolo Centaur on it or they a bad bike shop and this should b no charge for u any way puting a groupset on a biek takes like 15minutes. but what i'm saying if ur paying say $2500 for a bike they r making about 30%-40% ln each sale so they prob payed about $1400 or so 4 the bike. But any way here is my Beast IKE Merida gross Venus C7 full cabon frame IKE carbon bars IKE carbon seat post and era carbon seat with Campagnolo RECORD groupset Ergo brain, Look 396 pedals(just getting new shoes soon and will up garde too Campagnolo Record Pro FIt pedals ASAP)and velocity areo head OC(Off Set back rim) rims and last but not least Conti GP Force Attack tyres to top off my package this only set me back about $3800. AUSD i hate paying full price and it was dearer too bye dur-ace in australia so there Campagnolo was about $300 cheaper.

Originally posted by mfallon
What I don't understand is why do people usually claim one is great and the other junk. Why can't they both be good and you just prefer one over the other or your opinion is one is a little better than the other. Since both companies are competing heavily with each other I would doubt that both would still be around if one was that much better than the other. I hate it when people claim something is **** just because it isn't thier preference. I would think anyone who has higher-end Campy or Shimano has a damn good bike even if it isn't someone elses preference. Would I take Campy Record over Shimano Dura-Ace? Yes, but that is just my opinion. Do I think Shimano is junk compared to Campy? No, I think Shimano is fine. Ok, I'm off my soapbox now.

Too true , now can we go and ride rather than argue about such a dumb topic

The topic starter might better make his points if he composed his thoughts in something resembling a written language and understood that the addition of the term "********" does little to bolster an argument. I'm new around here but I recognize a waste of time when I see one.

I do have some Campy/Shimano thoughts. I'm building up my first Campagnolo-based bike right now and I have to say that I'm immediately struck with some disappointment with the manufacturing quality of the 2004 Chorus front deraileur. The metal isn't remotely the same color as the rest of the componants in the Chorus gruppo. It's a sort of champagne/titanium color with a kind of bead-blasted texture to the finish as opposed to the low-gloss polish of the rest of the componentry's castings. And while I know that no one's fron deraileurs are cast, they're all stamped...this thing couldn't look any more stamped if they worked at it. The darn thing may prove to perform like a champion, but it doesn't look like a match to the rear deraileur or the brake calipers at all. I find that hard to understand.

I have a Bianchi trofeo with compagnolo avanti and a felt f65 with shimano 105, and as far as performance compagnolo is the best, versus shimano which is good but there is not comparition with Campy.

I've ridden both throughout my 15 years of riding and racing. I liked the new changes that campy made in the last few years, the use of carbon was genius, besides nothing looks nearly as sexy on any bike as campy, but for my latest bikes, which are on their way, i bought shimano. i could have either, money is no object, but i prefer the reliability of shimano. i used primarily shimano in mtb and the ease of repair and the fact that they have never failed me in a major race is a major thing. campy on the other hand was a pain to work on, i never could get the record derailleur dialed in 100%, however the shimano i could get it set up and ready to ride in about 15 min. if i had to choose one group for my ride i would and will take shimano, unless i get paid to ride campy and i don't have to work on it.

in total today the 2nd of march u see in the pole that shimaNO has 57 votes and Campagnolo is very close with 53 but u wil find that there are 20 unhappy users with shimaNO who want to use Campagnolo in my books that 73 votes Campagnolo vs 57 shimaNO as normal Campagnolo WINS

first off, you need to learn to type, i cant understand HALF the stuff you are saying because it is such improper english. next, the poles say "have shimano want campy." that does NOT imply that they are unhappy with shimano, only that they would LIKE to have campy, meaning that they are not, as you said "20 unhappy users with shimaNO who want to use Campagnolo." i use shimano dura ace on my shifters and derailers, but the rest is 105. i have had NO complaints so far, i LOVE my components. i agree that i cannot compare the two, as i have never ridden the campy, but i CAN say that shimano is not a bad product, it is high quality. you may think that campy is better, but that does not mean shimano is ****. also, today is the FIRST of march (look above your name, it says 3-1-04 meaning its the first of marcy buddy), not the second.... and the poll has gone up 3 for shimano and ZERO for campy since your last post less than an hour and a half ago. i would say that campy has 53, and shimano has 60, the 20 that want to change did not say they were not happy, so those votes cannot go for campy. also, where is the vote for have campy, want shimano? any way you look at it, this WOULD be a good thread if you werent so biased and were less in the state of mind of "my stuff is the best stuff ever, everyone elses is ****." sorry for the long post, just gettin my opinion out

well i can say the today In Australia it is the 2nd of march and i have told u's that i ridden both durace and campagnolo record and Campagnolo is in a group of it's own style looks feel the way it works every time never jumps and as it gtes older it wears in and shimaNO wears out shimaNO is worn out when u get it Campagnolo is lovly day after day

both my brother and i have shimano, and have NEVER had any problems, except for my 105 shifter, it messed up, but it was wrecked, so it kind of had a reason.... and also, didnt know you were in australia, my bad... but, still, you shouldnt hate on shimano so much, sure, in your opinion, campy may be better, but dont hate on shimano just cause of your opinion...

I've got a road bike with a Campy Centaur groupset, and a hybrid with a mix of Shimano stuff in the drivetrain. Love the Campy levers, much nicer IMO than Shimano STIs, and I really like the Campy brakes too, as well as the way the front mech has loads of notches to ensure rub-free performance. As for rear shifts, I don't think there's much in it.

I think some people are prone to making snap judgements, and then sticking with them; when I was test-riding road bikes recently I rode a Trek 1500 with an Ultegra drivetrain, and the levers, brakes and shifting sucked. Then I rode a bike (the one I ended up buying) with a Campy Centaur drivetrain and loved it. I (rather rashly) concluded that Campy ruled and Shimano sucked....but then I rode a Specialized with an Ultegra drivetrain and it felt gorgeous. The Trek was just poorly adjusted/suffering from cable stretch. I reckon a well set up Tiagra drivetrain would probably feel much nicer than a badly set up Chorus drivetrain, and conversely a well dialed-in Veloce drivetrain probably kicks the pants off a poorly set up Ultegra drivetrain.

wot a **** thread mainly becuse of the total ineptitude of 'King matt87'

no one will ever pay you any credability when you are so biased and so inflexable in your understanding and opinions.

Youve done shimano more good than harm :)

Originally posted by lazysegall
what if this is the topic should never be discussed on bike message boards, forums, chat rooms, NGs or even the dinner table? this topic along with whether you should wear helmets is just annoying.

the right answer.

You like the Carbon look from the Record group or you don't, Some people like the STIs, others prefer the ergopowers (Different handtypes)

I prefer Dura-Ace; nice shifting, nice looks (carbon looks nice but is rather optical than usefull)

well i just saying what happened to me when my Dura-ace broke down it was going to cost heaps to fix so i up graded to Campagnolo Record because u can get spare parts and r able to pepair the Ergo levers but now i have changed to Campagnolo i find the levers to have more comfort and shift better i never wanted this poll to get as big as it has but as u can c there is about teh same support of both parties Campagnolo and shimano

I’ve had experience in both. When I first bought my Trek 5200, it came with the Ultegra on it. At the same time, my friend bought a LeMond, same setup. After about a thousand miles, both of us noticed the overall sloppy feeling, and it wasn’t long before his gave up the ghost. He decked it out with DuraAce after that. Mine gave up shortly after at around 1500 miles on it, I went with Campagnolo Record. In its defense, I’ll say right up until the second that it gave on me, I was really happy with the Ultegra. After that I just couldn’t see fit to riding more of it, and decided to give Italian quality a try. Since then, I haven’t given one iota worth of thought to Shimano, Campy pleases me just fine, here’s my review.

PERFORMANCE
1. Campy is smooth. It puts Shimano to shame. The clicks feels smooth, the action is smooth, and its quiet. Shimano doesn’t have squat on this.
2. You can shut up the front derailleur. With the Shimano, you only get 3 clicks, one for each chain ring that you have. You can’t fine-tune it at all and you get a lot of chain rubbing on the front derailleur. Not so with Campagnolo. I love being able to fine-tune it, where I want it, and it makes my ride a whole heap quieter.
3. Durability, Campy feels great, even after the mileage is tacked on. Each day I ride, the shifting feels like the day I put it on. The Shimano just doesn’t cut it here; it starts to get the used feeling real quick, and gets sloppy. I understand how you could ask how you shift the Campy in the drops, but it’s real easy, you just put your thumb up there and click it.

Appearance
Campy looks better all the way around; whoever said that Campy looks old fashioned is an idiot. Campy is far ahead of the competition. Lets start at the front, shall we?
1. The STI levers on the Campy far outdo the Shimano. The design is better; you can see this just by looking at it. Campy figured out a design to run both the brake wires and the shifting wires along the handlebars, leading to a refined, clean look. Shimano still hasn’t figured this one out, because it’s impossible with their current design. Instead they’re left with their shifting wires sticking up and out. This looks flat out ugly. The campy shifters in the upper end have carbon fibre on them, Shimano does not. What’s more, Shimano has those stupid caps on the top of their levers that continuously fall off. I lost one, my friend lost one, and we get people in the bike shop all the time looking for replacement caps, so obviously it’s a problem, poor design.
2. The front derailleur is just that, a front derailleur, the performance here is up to the shifting mechanism.
3. Moving along, I’ll cut it to the cranks. It’s really your choice here; they’re about the same. The exception is that Campy’s started to produce a carbon crank, and Shimano’s decided to make theirs wider. Also, Campy figured out that it could integrate the crank-arm into the 5-point connection, while Shimano still runs 5 points and the crank. Again, your choice, Campy looks to be a simpler, less crowded design.
4. Rear derailleur. Their both pretty damn light, Shimano hasn’t caught onto the Carbon bandwagon yet. Campy keeps adding more. I’d say that Campy still goes the distance here in performance. The shifting is ultra smooth, not so much with the Shimano. If you like that carbon look then Campy’s the stuff for you. I love it, it makes me drool. :p

Overall, both companies know what their doing. If you’ve got the extra money, then it’s def worth your time looking into the Campy stuff. If it comes down to appearance for you then get the Campy, it has more gawk factor. The Shimano does its job; it’s like comparing a Porsche to a Ferrari. They’re both good, and they’ll both get you where your going, hopefully.

the new 10 speed shimano chainset/cranks is a third stiffer than Campag Record which for me at 200lbs makes a big differenceand its lighter (Velonews)

Originally posted by Hogo
the new 10 speed shimano chainset/cranks is a third stiffer than Campag Record which for me at 200lbs makes a big differenceand its lighter (Velonews)

I dont think your weight has anything to do with it, I'm 6'1", and I weigh in at 210 lbs. My record performs like magic, absolutly no problems, and its a 02

nope its not just my weight but my power on the sprint is considered to be quite good, ive gone for the stiffest setup i can
litespeed ultimate, Kysyriumss ect

why put a crank system on there thats 2/3s the stiffness of a shimano 10 speed, lighter and cheaper aswell

Originally posted by Hogo
the new 10 speed shimano chainset/cranks is a third stiffer than Campag Record
That makes it a third stiffer than 'way stiffer than you need'. If you think you can tell the difference in stiffness in any decent cranks, you are dreaming.

well im happy dreaming, so are some of the pros i train with aswell then

always makes me laugh how sad the camag people can be at times, so far stuck up their own arses to see past their beloved campag. Even web sites for campag lovers. You hardly hear of people who are shimano users who moan about campag , but for some weird reason you always hear high and mighty campag users crying about shimano.

well heres a shock... why dont you use your campag and stop whining about shimano...radical but lets give it a try eh?