• just love using Campagnolo

Votes: 68 17.6%
  • like using shimaNO

Votes: 149 38.5%
  • using mavic or other

Votes: 170 43.9%

• Total voters
king_matt87
I have to ask. Whats the deal with your typing? How come you cant type at least reasonably, or use a period. My typing sucks spelling wise, but it's at least reasonable.

yer well the last post was late at night, And normaly i'm in a rush. but any way thanx 2 every 1 who posted a reply.

Originally posted by king_matt87
ok well i can spell shimano with out a capital N but i started this thread when my dura ace levers were 14months old and broke ther right lever just wet all slack and slipped all the time and was told a nor wantry and B u can't fix them, then was added taht id it was Campagnolo it would b $40 for the spring and i changed over to campagnolo on my new bike cos i couldl get it for a better price than shimano and have found that after idden with it for over 2 years i have had nothing but happy trouble free riding and know if somin was to go wrong i could fix it and now have to buy da whole lever. Ok yer shimano would be able to make there stuff if it was no good same with campagnolo but i wanted to know what u thought was best not to fight and bicker like school girls. i wouldn't even mind a input from a mavic users i should have called the group what do u like not 1 OR teh other and as u can c both seem to be liked about the same. i thought i started off even but then it all went messy oh well is there a way we can now close this forum or block form any moe replies after next week

Translation: (I think)

-------------
Okay well, I can spell S-h-i-m-a-n-o without a capital "N", but I started this thread when my Dura-Ace levers were 14-months old and broke. The right lever just went all slack and slipped all the time and I was told;

A) no warranty
and
B) you can't fix them.

Then it was added that if it was Campagnolo, it would be $40 for the spring. I changed over to Campagnolo on my new bike because I could get it for a better price than Shimano and have found that after riding with it for over 2 years I have had nothing but happy, trouble-free riding. I know if something were to go wrong, I could fix it and not have to buy a whole new lever. Okay, your Shimano would[n't?] be able to make their stuff if it was no good; same with Campagnolo. But I wanted to know what you thought was best; not to fight and bicker like school girls?

I wouldn't even mind some input from Mavic users. I should have called the group, "What do you like", not one or the other. And as you can see, both seem to be liked about the same. I thought I started off even but then it all went messy. Oh well, is there a way we can now close this forum or block it from any more replies after next week?

-------------

I hope I didn't misunderstand or misrepresent your meaning, king_matt87.

lol where have you been from the start of this thread, you could have made it so much easier to understand with your translations, how did you manage it?

did you study Swahili or something?:p

I love the new Shimano Dura 10. For a person such as myself who is 6'1 and 230lbs. The Dura 10 cranks are rock solid. The problem for someone like me is my size and weight. Campy with there carbon Fiber sure looks nice. But; how durable is it? I have tried other brand cranks and all seem to flex to much for my liking. Bottom line is we all love cycling, it dosn't matter what the brand is. If you break it you will replace it, no matter what the cost is because you love the sport. :D

Originally posted by Thatch
I love the new Shimano Dura 10. For a person such as myself who is 6'1 and 230lbs. The Dura 10 cranks are rock solid. The problem for someone like me is my size and weight. Campy with there carbon Fiber sure looks nice. But; how durable is it? I have tried other brand cranks and all seem to flex to much for my liking. Bottom line is we all love cycling, it dosn't matter what the brand is. If you break it you will replace it, no matter what the cost is because you love the sport. :D
Do you really honestly believe that you can flex a crank (as opposed to get movement in a weak bottom bracket or elicit a small amount of frame flex)? I doubt it very much - regardless of brand.

Regarding durability of Campy, that is one of the major arguments of the campy-philes: it is more durable than Shimano!

Having ridden both Dura-ace and Record, Campagnolo has to come out the winner. Hidden cables, brilliant ergonomics and the ability to go from the 21 to the 11 with one press of the thumb.

Not streets ahead by any means, but better thought out.

Originally posted by patch70
Do you really honestly believe that you can flex a crank (as opposed to get movement in a weak bottom bracket or elicit a small amount of frame flex)? I doubt it very much - regardless of brand.

Regarding durability of Campy, that is one of the major arguments of the campy-philes: it is more durable than Shimano!

I hear what you are saying. I'll get to the point... I have ridden bikes w/FSA, Campy and Shimano crank sets maybe it is the bottom bracket or the frame. For argument's sake the new Shimano bottom bracket did not flex with the cranks attatched to the outside baring housing and hollow bottom bracket is GREAT
just mt 2cts:p

Campagnolo, Campagnolo, Campagnolo.

Then again, I am Italian! :D

But let's all quit this and go out and ride! :)

Something just came to me. I put on a D/A 10sp chain on my Chorus/Record combo, rode it easy on Sunday, raced a crit on Tues night and crashed... HARD. Have I angered the Gods by mixing Shimano and Campy? Or perhaps was I saved from worse injuries by acting as such a mediator, bringing both sides together?????

Originally posted by ed073
Having ridden both Dura-ace and Record, Campagnolo has to come out the winner. Hidden cables, brilliant ergonomics and the ability to go from the 21 to the 11 with one press of the thumb.

Not streets ahead by any means, but better thought out.

I agree with you completely on the ability to go across the spectrum like that. I recently tested an Orbea with DA 10 and that was the first thing I noticed. Plus the fact that it was almost eeirely quiet. I do like the shape of the brake hoods though. They are beefier than the Record 10 shape, maybe because of the different shifting design. I spend a lot of time on the hoods and I felt that you really had something to grasp onto. I wouldn't switch for that reason though.

Originally posted by Thatch

You must be superhuman to noticeably flex a crank. Top of the line cranks are suppose to be bullet-proof compared to garden variety ones. For all intents and purposes, Campy says their CF cranks have a higher strength-to-weight ratio than their AL counterparts.

FSA likewise has a similar claim on their CF offerings.

But regardless whether the CF cranks of campy are stiffer than their AL cranks or not, I doubt if even King Merckx will complain about flexing them, much less us mere mortals.

Originally posted by dennis dee
You must be superhuman to noticeably flex a crank. Top of the line cranks are suppose to be bullet-proof compared to garden variety ones. For all intents and purposes, Campy says their CF cranks have a higher strength-to-weight ratio than their AL counterparts.

FSA likewise has a similar claim on their CF offerings.

But regardless whether the CF cranks of campy are stiffer than their AL cranks or not, I doubt if even King Merckx will complain about flexing them, much less us mere mortals.

Perhaps there is an element to the subtlety of flex that is being missed here. You might not think that the turning of a motorcycle's front wheel at speed could possibly result in the flexing of 39mm stanchion tubes either but it does. That's why the tubes keep growing in size from year to year. You'd never see the flex because it's so minute. But it affects handling all the same.

In the case of crank arms, I'm a 150 pound rider and I can feel the difference in flex of the LX crank arms verses those of XT crank arms. Flex is why the manufacturers go to all the trouble of hollowtech designs and carbon fiber. It's not to combant a non-existant problem.

:)

Originally posted by Beastt
In the case of crank arms, I'm a 150 pound rider and I can feel the difference in flex of the LX crank arms verses those of XT crank arms. Flex is why the manufacturers go to all the trouble of hollowtech designs and carbon fiber. It's not to combant a non-existant problem.
A lot of the flex that you can 'feel' is actually due to weakness in the bottom bracket and is nothing to do with the crank. I also don't believe that any mortal can flex any decent crank arms.

AS TO WHy shimano is on the tour bikes. it's because those guys are given bikes. not buying bikes. i don't understand why i see so little campy one complete bikes

I'd go with Campagnolo better!
cheaper to fix!

king_matt87 said:
ok
well now shimaNO is 10 speed but is still all sealed up and can not be fixed. now with new cranks design. the over all look of ShimaNO is a bit......................eeeeewww. so when your levers wear out the is a big cost to replace not repair. ad how good are ShimaNO levers if Armstrong uses a standard front gear lever. i found that the front lever is a bit rougth on the down chage. also Come on shimaNO get with it CARBON FIBRE is the way! the bike they put it on is full carbon TREK so.........also the bug intena gear cables ad a bit dagy. For u now belevers(shimaNO users) on the full campagnolo range u release the breaks with a button on the bars, this means if u feget to click ur break back on it's a simply a push of a button. another good thing is that u ahve control of the realse so so one can't ride up to during a race and flick ur breaks. campagnolo make 6 different head sets shimaNI only make the old 1' threaded one, which was good for me because i needed a low profile one for me old track frame. but for new bike no good. most new bike haev ever cane creek or Campagnolo hidden head set.

patch70 said:
A lot of the flex that you can 'feel' is actually due to weakness in the bottom bracket and is nothing to do with the crank. I also don't believe that any mortal can flex any decent crank arms.

I guess all of those guys who make a pretty good living testing this stuff don't really have a clue what they're talking about. Perhaps if you could post your phone number here they could all give you a call and we'd get the straight **** for a change, eh?

:)

Beastt said:
I guess all of those guys who make a pretty good living testing this stuff don't really have a clue what they're talking about. Perhaps if you could post your phone number here they could all give you a call and we'd get the straight **** for a change, eh?
Think about it! Those guys make a living out of SELLING the stuff. Of course they are going to use any angle possible to justify getting you to pay extra. There are countless things on bike equipment that make little or no difference but we go and pay big $$$ because of marketing hype. Examples are:
HP chainstays on Colnagos
Pretend 'aero' seat tube shape on Trek Madones
Whichever 'better' frame material someone is trying to sell you

If a Shimano Sora crank is unbendable by a mortal, but a Dura Ace is 73.65274% stiffer, does that make it better? Or have you just been sucked in by dubious use of statistics?