Votes: 0 0.0%
  • just love using Campagnolo

Votes: 68 17.6%
  • like using shimaNO

Votes: 149 38.5%
  • using mavic or other

Votes: 170 43.9%

• Total voters
Here's an FYI for you. Campy Ergo levers can be retrofitted from 8 speed to 9 or 10. There is an index wheel in the lever that can be installed in any Campy 8, 9, or 10. You can convert them in any fashion. Take your old 8 speed levers and make them 10. The index wheel sells for about $25.00. There are a few on line bike shops that will do the job for a labor cost of $20.00. So, for $45.00 you go from 8 to 10 or 9 to 10 or 9 to 8....you get it.
If the ratchet system wears out, they can also be rebuilt. For those of you that have worn out your 8 speed levers (the way I did) you can have them rebuilt or purchase 9 or 10 speed levers and have the 8 speed index wheel instaleed in them. (That's what I did) I was able to salvage my 8 speed ergo system and get back on the road. Those Campy fellas are thinking.
Thanks Campy !

Safe cycling.

patch70 said:
Think about it! Those guys make a living out of SELLING the stuff. Of course they are going to use any angle possible to justify getting you to pay extra. There are countless things on bike equipment that make little or no difference but we go and pay big $$$ because of marketing hype. Examples are:
HP chainstays on Colnagos
Pretend 'aero' seat tube shape on Trek Madones
Whichever 'better' frame material someone is trying to sell you

If a Shimano Sora crank is unbendable by a mortal, but a Dura Ace is 73.65274% stiffer, does that make it better? Or have you just been sucked in by dubious use of statistics?

Perhaps saying that a crank arm exhibits flex isn't the best way to sell crank arms. Perhaps saying it doesn't flex, even if it does would attract more buyers. Dura-Ace is significantly lighter than Sora and offers the splined OctaLink bottom bracket just for starters. Flex isn't the only thing separating the two.

If they don't flex, why do you suppose some of them break after thousands of hours of use? Slight imperfections at the surface or within the aluminum grow with each tiny flex in the material. Eventually these microscopic separations become large enough to cause failure. This is one drawback of forged aluminum. It can be quite strong but if you repeatedly force it to bend, even a tiny amount, eventually it's going to break.

Beastt said:
Perhaps saying that a crank arm exhibits flex isn't the best way to sell crank arms. Perhaps saying it doesn't flex, even if it does would attract more buyers. Dura-Ace is significantly lighter than Sora and offers the splined OctaLink bottom bracket just for starters. Flex isn't the only thing separating the two.

If they don't flex, why do you suppose some of them break after thousands of hours of use? Slight imperfections at the surface or within the aluminum grow with each tiny flex in the material. Eventually these microscopic separations become large enough to cause failure. This is one drawback of forged aluminum. It can be quite strong but if you repeatedly force it to bend, even a tiny amount, eventually it's going to break.
Weight of the cranks is a separate issue. The argument for stiffer (and therefore "better") cranks is mostly bogus. It is like saying drug X is great because it leads to a 50% reduction in disease Y. Wow - 50%, we should all take it - say the drug company. But if it changes the incidence of Y from 1 in 500,000 to 1 in 1,000,000 then 1,000,000 people need to take X to stop 1 person from getting Y - ie not worth it even though the 50% call is correct. It was just creative use of numbers. Just like the advertising hype saying Dura Ace cranks are z% stiffer than Record cranks when both are way stiffer than is necessary.

Imperfections in cranks are not related to stiffness. They are errors in production. If your crank breaks before your chain then there was something wrong with the crank.

patch70 said:
Weight of the cranks is a separate issue. The argument for stiffer (and therefore "better") cranks is mostly bogus. It is like saying drug X is great because it leads to a 50% reduction in disease Y. Wow - 50%, we should all take it - say the drug company. But if it changes the incidence of Y from 1 in 500,000 to 1 in 1,000,000 then 1,000,000 people need to take X to stop 1 person from getting Y - ie not worth it even though the 50% call is correct. It was just creative use of numbers. Just like the advertising hype saying Dura Ace cranks are z% stiffer than Record cranks when both are way stiffer than is necessary.

Imperfections in cranks are not related to stiffness. They are errors in production. If your crank breaks before your chain then there was something wrong with the crank.

Somehow I completely failed to get my point across. I'm not talking about premature breakage of the cranks. No matter what crank you ride, if you ride it enough, it will eventually break. Most of us don't keep a bike that long and many people never ride enough miles in their life to break a crank but the fact remains that if a crank is ridden enough, it will break eventually. The reason the crank breaks is due to flexing, no matter how slight, and that flexing is going to begin doing its work at the tiny imperfections in the tooling and the metal, (they're there; nothing you can do about it). If you can design a set of cranks with zero flex, then it's highly unlikely, (crashes and misuse aside), that they would ever break even if you were a pro and shared your training bike with your five pro-cyclist brothers. I'm beginning to believe you've missed the whole point of the flex issue.

Beastt said:
Somehow I completely failed to get my point across. I'm not talking about premature breakage of the cranks. No matter what crank you ride, if you ride it enough, it will eventually break. Most of us don't keep a bike that long and many people never ride enough miles in their life to break a crank but the fact remains that if a crank is ridden enough, it will break eventually. The reason the crank breaks is due to flexing, no matter how slight, and that flexing is going to begin doing its work at the tiny imperfections in the tooling and the metal, (they're there; nothing you can do about it). If you can design a set of cranks with zero flex, then it's highly unlikely, (crashes and misuse aside), that they would ever break even if you were a pro and shared your training bike with your five pro-cyclist brothers. I'm beginning to believe you've missed the whole point of the flex issue.
You failed to get your point across because you just don't get it. If a Shimano Sora or Campy Mirage crank is not going to flex at all with the kind of stress that a mortal human puts on it, those tiny imperfections are not an issue. If there are major imperfections, then the crank might break (although it has to be pretty bad to break at less force than a chain will break). Making a crank (eg Dura Ace or Record) even stiffer than the above does not make it better or less likely to suffer due to those slight imperfections. None of them will flex at all anyway. Extra stiffness just gets used as a reason to upgrade and spend more money. Sure, buy them because you can afford to and you like the look, the weight, the wa-nk factor, but don't be sucked into paying lots more because they are 'stiffer'.

Several people on this forum have said that DA cranks are better purely because they are stiffer. They are kidding themselves if they think that other cranks are not stiff enough for them.

patch70 said:
You failed to get your point across because you just don't get it. If a Shimano Sora or Campy Mirage crank is not going to flex at all with the kind of stress that a mortal human puts on it, those tiny imperfections are not an issue. If there are major imperfections, then the crank might break (although it has to be pretty bad to break at less force than a chain will break). Making a crank (eg Dura Ace or Record) even stiffer than the above does not make it better or less likely to suffer due to those slight imperfections. None of them will flex at all anyway. Extra stiffness just gets used as a reason to upgrade and spend more money. Sure, buy them because you can afford to and you like the look, the weight, the wa-nk factor, but don't be sucked into paying lots more because they are 'stiffer'.

Several people on this forum have said that DA cranks are better purely because they are stiffer. They are kidding themselves if they think that other cranks are not stiff enough for them.

Perhaps we should start more simply and move a bit more slowly. Are you familiar with burnishing aluminum? Depending on the method it may be referred to as "ball burnishing". Do you know what the advantage to burnishing aluminum is? How about shot-peening steel? These procedures are designed to "smear" the metal on the surface to eliminate microscopic lines, crevices and contours. It's all about getting rid of the surface imperfections which, under the load of flex, lead to fractures which lead to failures. It does happen! You can't simply make that fact go away by pretending you don't understand the point. I'm not talking about putting a brand new crank and chain on a bike and then applying enough force to break either one. I'm talking about repetative stress, applied through moderate forces which will cause tiny fluctuations in the alignment of the metal grains.... something we call "flex".

You can't build a crank with absolutely zero flex. We're talking about microscopic changes in shape here. But the imprefections, whether they be tool marks, cold spots during casting or miniscule amounts of impurities in the metal, grow with every tiny shift in shape of the metal and this does occur with minimal force applied. It's like taking a piece of wire and bending it back and forth. If you do this enough times, it breaks. Each time you bend the wire you cause fractures, which usually start with tiny imperfections, to grow. The more distortion you impart to the wire, the fewer times it will take to break it. If you bend the wire less, then it will take far more repetitions before the wire breaks. It's commonly referred to as "metal fatigue" and it is most definitely a factor in bicycle cranks. Are you telling me you've never heard of a Dura-Ace crank breaking? It's not a common occurence but it absolutely does happen. Most of the time these cranks break after years and years of persistent use.

Every material reacts to forces applied to it. Some react differently that others. Steel happens to distort and "spring" back fairly well. Forged aluminum happens to be more brittle. In the case of forged aluminum, when you force a significant deformation to occur, any attempt to return the metal to it's former shape by force alone will usually result in breakage. Now take that same phenomenon and apply it at a miniscule fraction of that distortion. The metal appears not to flex to the naked eye. But it did. And in so doing, minute fractures begin at the microscopic level. And with every additional application of force, those fractures will grow. It will usually take years and millions of repetitions of such force but each one takes a toll on the material and it does so through microscopic flexing of the material.

If you could make a bicycle crank that had absolutely no flex and could assure that the crank never encountered damage from an accident, you'd have a crank that would never, ever break under its intended use. Such a crank does not exist.

I suggest you spend a bit of time studying chassis and suspension components for motor vehicles. You'll be surprised where flex shows up. Do you think that a straight box-section, aluminum swingarm of a 450 pound sport bike (motorcycle), exhibits zero flex? Do you think the 43mm stantion tubes in the telescopic front suspension of such a motorcycle exhibit zero flex from the moderate force of steering input? How about the telescopic front suspension of a cross-country mountain bike? Those are some pretty substantial bits of metal for just the weight of a bike and rider but the fact remains that when those parts are stiffened, the bike begins to handle better because they flex less under steering input and under forces imparted to the tire from pathway contours and obstacles. Indeed all of the above mentioned parts will flex slightly under normal use. All else being equal, a 43 mm stantion tube will flex less than a 39mm tube, and therefore provide slightly more stable handling because steering alignment remains more consistent. If materials didn't react this way, once the part became substantial enough that the force the material is intended to transfer failed to meet the yield strength of the material, the material would never fail under the intended use.

Beastt said:
Well obviously that is completely fascinating but as usual you are long on words but short on relevance. If that is the way you justify to yourself that you need DA cranks, then fine. I am sure you will feel reassured that your cranks are only maybe, possibly going to break in 30 years compared to a mere 29 years for Record cranks or 28 years for Ultegra ones.

However, of the many riders here on these forums or on the road that buy DA cranks, none others use this argument. Quite a few say they need/want the extra stiffness to know they are not losing any power to crank flex. That argument is about as sensible as saying you shave your legs to go faster or you need to spend an extra $1000 on a frame that is 100 grams lighter. I wonder if these people think that Alessandro Petacchi, Tom Boonen or Robbie McEwen are losing power compared to their Shimano equipped rivals. Or do they think that Lance would not have won 6 tours if he only had Ultegra cranks?

patch70 said:
Well obviously that is completely fascinating but as usual you are long on words but short on relevance. If that is the way you justify to yourself that you need DA cranks, then fine. I am sure you will feel reassured that your cranks are only maybe, possibly going to break in 30 years compared to a mere 29 years for Record cranks or 28 years for Ultegra ones.

However, of the many riders here on these forums or on the road that buy DA cranks, none others use this argument. Quite a few say they need/want the extra stiffness to know they are not losing any power to crank flex. That argument is about as sensible as saying you shave your legs to go faster or you need to spend an extra $1000 on a frame that is 100 grams lighter. I wonder if these people think that Alessandro Petacchi, Tom Boonen or Robbie McEwen are losing power compared to their Shimano equipped rivals. Or do they think that Lance would not have won 6 tours if he only had Ultegra cranks?

Lighter, stronger, more rigid and more durable aren't irrelevant in my book.

Beastt said:
Lighter, stronger, more rigid and more durable aren't irrelevant in my book.
Lighter - agreed. However, what is the absolute benefit in real terms of the minor weight difference? Probably 0.1%. Would Lance have still won the Alpe d'Huez ITT with ultegra cranks? Of course.

Stronger - perhaps. Absolute benefit in real terms? 0% given that other cranks are definitely strong enough.

More rigid - yes. Absolute benefit in real terms? 0% given that other cranks are definitely rigid enough.

More durable - who really knows given that they've only widely been used for ~18months? If we say yes they are, let's take it the next step. What % of cranks on the type of bike that you'd consider putting on Dura Ace running gear suffer from a broken crank in 10 years of regular use? Being generous, let's say 0.5%. What % reduction in breakage is there with DA rather that Record, Chorus or Ultegra. Again being generous, 2%. That means, very roughly, 10,000 people would have to buy DA cranks to prevent 1 of them having a crank breakage in 10 years. The real figure is probably much higher, especially when most of these bikes are upgraded after 2 - 5 years.

It's okay to say that you brought them to be like Lance or because you think they look cool. Maybe it's time to stop pretending that they make you a better cyclist or that they are saving you from imminent crank breakage. It's okay, most cyclists fall victim to marketing hype at one time or another.

patch70 said:
Lighter - agreed. However, what is the absolute benefit in real terms of the minor weight difference? Probably 0.1%. Would Lance have still won the Alpe d'Huez ITT with ultegra cranks? Of course.

Stronger - perhaps. Absolute benefit in real terms? 0% given that other cranks are definitely strong enough.

More rigid - yes. Absolute benefit in real terms? 0% given that other cranks are definitely rigid enough.

More durable - who really knows given that they've only widely been used for ~18months? If we say yes they are, let's take it the next step. What % of cranks on the type of bike that you'd consider putting on Dura Ace running gear suffer from a broken crank in 10 years of regular use? Being generous, let's say 0.5%. What % reduction in breakage is there with DA rather that Record, Chorus or Ultegra. Again being generous, 2%. That means, very roughly, 10,000 people would have to buy DA cranks to prevent 1 of them having a crank breakage in 10 years. The real figure is probably much higher, especially when most of these bikes are upgraded after 2 - 5 years.

It's okay to say that you brought them to be like Lance or because you think they look cool. Maybe it's time to stop pretending that they make you a better cyclist or that they are saving you from imminent crank breakage. It's okay, most cyclists fall victim to marketing hype at one time or another.

Very nice numbers unless you stop to consider that they're completely arbitrary and have no relevance to reality. Less flex does result in greater dependability, all else being equal. The gains to be had by going Dura-Ace over Ultegra or any other single step up on components depends on the rider, the amount they ride, the terrain they ride and how much the individual chooses to pay per quantitative unit of performance gained. Would you avoid a chain below the level of Dura-Ace for fear of premature breakage? Probably not. How often do you replace a chain? Speaking only for myself, I probably find I wear out about 1 chain per year, (per bike). Lance Armstrong, on the other hand, goes through 3 chains in the standard course of a single Tour de France. For Lance, there is a big difference in a small percentage of reliability gain. Could he win on Ultegra? Probably so. But why have to work even a little harder to push lesser components when better components give you an edge? Perhaps in 2003, lesser components on Lance's bike might have made the difference. It's important to remember that any slight gains received from better components are cumulative. It's not just the first turn of the pedals, but each and every turn of the pedals. If you lose .001% efficiency per rotation, what does that work out to at the end of 200 kilometers after 5 or 6 hours in the saddle? Even a moderate 1,000 pedal rotations means a 1% decrease in effort. Admittedly, these numbers are arbitrary but the concept is perfectly sound.

Each person should buy what makes sense to them. Certainly a beginning rider shouldn't dump huge sums of money into Dura-Ace or Record. Most won't continue to ride beyond a year and all that money will be wasted. I've ridden modern 105 and Ultegra and the difference over a few miles of comparative riding is slight. I didn't even want Dura-Ace when I bought my road bike. I asked the shop if they could get the frame I wanted and build the bike with Ultegra cheaper than I could buy the bike as it came with Dura-Ace. Obviously, the answer was that buying all the parts separately would mean paying more and getting less. So I bought the full Dura-Ace bike and I've never been disappointed. When I decided to shop for a back-up bike, I wouldn't look at anything below Dura-Ace. It's not that I'm such a great cyclist or even that I can get on and instantly feel gains from the component set. But over the course of a few miles, I gain a little time and a little distance, which makes me feel better about my riding and in turn, makes riding more fun. Anyone can benefit from the better components. It's just a matter of how much they want the tiny benefits offered with each step and how much money they're willing to part with. The answer is based on the individual. Perhaps you don't look at your watch. I always ride "on the clock", just to keep things interesting. A few seconds stripped off of an old record is a rewarding experience.

It's appropriate for you to buy what suits your desires and your budget. But perhaps it's less appropriate to be telling people that they're just throwing the extra money away because there really is a difference and to some, that difference is worth the price.

Beastt said:
It's appropriate for you to buy what suits your desires and your budget. But perhaps it's less appropriate to be telling people that they're just throwing the extra money away because there really is a difference and to some, that difference is worth the price.
I never told people not to buy whatever groupset. I said to be honest with your reasoning eg you like the look, you like the **** factor, you can afford it etc. But if you look through these forums, people have said that they'll only have DA cranks because they need to have that 'extra' stiffness. They have said that they can "feel" crank flex (yeah, right) or that they like to know every ounce of pressure is being transmitted. The thing I have been trying to argue is that these are rubbish reasons. They are fuelled by marketing hype. If you believe these, you are being fooled.

End of argument? Please! :)

Beastt said:
I guess all of those guys who make a pretty good living testing this stuff don't really have a clue what they're talking about. Perhaps if you could post your phone number here they could all give you a call and we'd get the straight **** for a change, eh?

:)
Sorry about the late input but I've just started reading this thread.

Patch is right. If you don't believe him, put your bike on a wind trainer and video it, or watch it while one of your friends with huge muscles (as you must have) pedals it with intent. You would need a micrometer to measure the flex in a crank. ;)

mitosis said:
Sorry about the late input but I've just started reading this thread.

Patch is right. If you don't believe him, put your bike on a wind trainer and video it, or watch it while one of your friends with huge muscles (as you must have) pedals it with intent. You would need a micrometer to measure the flex in a crank. ;)

Perhaps you should re-read my posts, paying special attention to words such as "microscopic", "miniscule" and "minute". Just because the flex isn't visible to the naked eye doesn't mean it doesn't exist or that it's not a factor worth considering.

Beastt said:
Perhaps you should re-read my posts, paying special attention to words such as "microscopic", "miniscule" and "minute". Just because the flex isn't visible to the naked eye doesn't mean it doesn't exist or that it's not a factor worth considering.

No argument that there is flex.

Perhaps you should reread your original claim that you could feel your cranks flexing. You might think you can. Its your frame (the bottom bracket shifting from side to side). ;)

mitosis said:
No argument that there is flex.

Perhaps you should reread your original claim that you could feel your cranks flexing. You might think you can. Its your frame (the bottom bracket shifting from side to side). ;)

Nice guess but I've had different cranks on the same frame and with the same bottom bracket (STX-RC, LX and XT), and you can certainly feel the difference.

Beastt said:
Nice guess but I've had different cranks on the same frame and with the same bottom bracket (STX-RC, LX and XT), and you can certainly feel the difference.

If you really think you can feel the flex good luck to you. I'm sure the shimano people would like you as a test pilot. :D

mitosis said:
If you really think you can feel the flex good luck to you. I'm sure the shimano people would like you as a test pilot. :D

I'm glad there are a few here with little or no understanding about the structural dynamics of materials, who, despite their lack of knowledge or even common sense, seem to think that they're up on all of the engineers and metallurgists who have spent much of their lives studying the subject. This is just one of those subjects where those who can't, don't and won't understand continue to insist that their back-woods opinions are more valid than what scientists, engineers and designers all know. Perhaps you'd be happy with a nice set of wooden cranks. I'll continue to ride the best technology I can afford.

Try this; bolt the bottom-bracket end of a good crank arm to a solid shop-bench with the pedal end sticking out off the edge. The idea is to be sure that the only place the crank is supported is at the bottom-bracket end. Now climb up on the bench and place the ball of one foot on the pedal-end of the crank, lift your other foot and bounce up and down a little.

Beastt said:
I'm glad there are a few here with little or no understanding about the structural dynamics of materials, who, despite their lack of knowledge or even common sense, seem to think that they're up on all of the engineers and metallurgists who have spent much of their lives studying the subject. This is just one of those subjects where those who can't, don't and won't understand continue to insist that their back-woods opinions are more valid than what scientists, engineers and designers all know. Perhaps you'd be happy with a nice set of wooden cranks. I'll continue to ride the best technology I can afford.

Try this; bolt the bottom-bracket end of a good crank arm to a solid shop-bench with the pedal end sticking out off the edge. The idea is to be sure that the only place the crank is supported is at the bottom-bracket end. Now climb up on the bench and place the ball of one foot on the pedal-end of the crank, lift your other foot and bounce up and down a little.

AND

Perhaps you should re-read my posts, paying special attention to words such as "microscopic", "miniscule" and "minute". Just because the flex isn't visible to the naked eye doesn't mean it doesn't exist or that it's not a factor worth considering
If it is microscopic, miniscule and minute, it is more than a tad surprising that you can feel it. The sensory abilities in the legs, either as proprioception or as two-point discrimination, are not that good. Certainly not good enough to tell the difference of a few micrometers.

Let it go! You cannot feel crank flex in any decent non-wooden crank. Any metallurgist or neurophysiologist will confirm this.

patch70 said:
If it is microscopic, miniscule and minute, it is more than a tad surprising that you can feel it. The sensory abilities in the legs, either as proprioception or as two-point discrimination, are not that good. Certainly not good enough to tell the difference of a few micrometers.

Let it go! You cannot feel crank flex in any decent non-wooden crank. Any metallurgist or neurophysiologist will confirm this.

1. Wrong

2. You keep acting like I'm the only one keeping this going.

3. Go get a metallurgist.

Beastt said:
1. Wrong

2. You keep acting like I'm the only one keeping this going.

3. Go get a metallurgist.
Let's try some more (arbitrary) numbers to try to make you see how stupid you sound. If the flex in a DA crank is 1 micrometer and a 105 crank is 100% flexier, it still only flexes 2 micrometers. Yet you honestly believe you can feel that 1 micron difference in your legs - a distance that the human eye cannot differentiate. Check out a neuroanatomy textbook. Look how big the parts of the brain for sight are and compare this to the sensory areas for the lower limbs.

Alternatively, draw a spot on your left leg. Now close your eyes and try to put your right big toe on the spot. Try again and see if you can come within one micron of your previous attempt - yes I know this is impossible because you can't even measure that distance without big magnification - yet Beastt can feel it. Wow - are you sure you are not the Six Million Dollar Man?

I have asked engineers and metallurgists and they can tell me about the "miniscule" distances that you have alluded to, however, they knew nothing about neurophysiology. Get your hand off it!

It's okay for you to admit that you like your DA gear because it gives you a psychological bonus but to say you can feel the difference in flex just makes you look like a ******.