• like using shimaNO

Votes: 149 38.5%
  • using mavic or other

Votes: 170 43.9%

• Total voters

king_matt87

Aug 25, 2003
ok
well now shimaNO is 10 speed but is still all sealed up and can not be fixed. now with new cranks design. the over all look of ShimaNO is a bit......................eeeeewww. so when your levers wear out the is a big cost to replace not repair. ad how good are ShimaNO levers if Armstrong uses a standard front gear lever. i found that the front lever is a bit rougth on the down chage. also Come on shimaNO get with it CARBON FIBRE is the way! the bike they put it on is full carbon TREK so.........also the bug intena gear cables ad a bit dagy. For u now belevers(shimaNO users) on the full campagnolo range u release the breaks with a button on the bars, this means if u feget to click ur break back on it's a simply a push of a button. another good thing is that u ahve control of the realse so so one can't ride up to during a race and flick ur breaks. campagnolo make 6 different head sets shimaNI only make the old 1' threaded one, which was good for me because i needed a low profile one for me old track frame. but for new bike no good. most new bike haev ever cane creek or Campagnolo hidden head set.

:) ok Campagnolo have had 10 speed for a while now. and are realsing a new groupset into the 10 speed range.now with for 10 speed groupsets. Record, Chours, Centaur and Veloce at this stage mirage and Xenon are 9 speed. the new Campagnolo Record is full carbon fibre when equiped with campagnolo hyper wheels and Carbon cranks. apart from the breaks, drive chain and bearings. Campagnolo produce 6 good road groupsets. sorry but they don't make fishing rods. from what i heard ShimaNO good fishing roads bad groupsets. Campagnolo brakes are desinged with different for front and rear proformance. were shimaNO are only one break made to do 2 jobs. what lets ShimaNO down is the rear dererailer because unless it is in the 3 or forth cog the spring is relaxed, but campagnolo have a special sring system that holds even sprig tension, no matter what cog ur in oh ye and is made of carbon fibre. nothing much different about front dererialers execpt campagnolo now have a carbon cage. The Campagnolo chain is standard throught 10 speed groupsets. but now there is a new ultra 10 chain in the 2004 made for record. pedals totaly different want compare pedals are personal thing any way, i have stuck with my looks mainly because i started with em and i would haev to change all me bike and shoes. now when u go in to the shimaNO flight deck and Campagnolo Ergo Brain. there is a lot of diference mainly just that the Ergo has 30+ functions wer flight deck have 13 a really good thing about ergo brain is that it lights up at night no speedo has done this is the past, a cool red colour too. the last point i will make is the angle and shape of the levers both very different. shimaNO seem very far away from the basr and can be had o use if u ahev small hands(the cheap sora groupset has a screw to adjust the reach but non of the other groupsets do) campagnolo are good on the tops and the drops. and u can use gears ad ergo barin in any postion. and it is good how with campagnolo u don't move the brake lever u move a level behind it, with shimaNO u tend to rub the breaks when shifting becasue the lever is out so far.but at the end of the day it's up to u but as u can see i LOVE :p Campagnolo and :eek: dislike shimaNO.

this little peace or tech tell me everthing i want to know and if i chage wheels to one with a different casset it knows that to. I love my Campagnolo Ergo brian it's so smart. and i dosn't lose memory when the batery is dead. and unlike the flight deck rear wheels mount is avable u simply bye an eextra cadnence wire. but can be a little tricky to instal NOT TO BE DOWN BY A SHIMANO OWNER please get supversion from CAMPAGNOLO Rider:(

What if you like both? I have Campy on my "good" bike & Shimano or Suntour on the others.

what if this is the topic should never be discussed on bike message boards, forums, chat rooms, NGs or even the dinner table? this topic along with whether you should wear helmets is just annoying.

Originally posted by lazysegall
what if this is the topic should never be discussed on bike message boards, forums, chat rooms, NGs or even the dinner table? this topic along with whether you should wear helmets is just annoying.

someone's bitter. go riding or climbing, they give you these weird things called endorphins that make you feel all funny and nice.

graison

What I don't understand is why do people usually claim one is great and the other junk. Why can't they both be good and you just prefer one over the other or your opinion is one is a little better than the other. Since both companies are competing heavily with each other I would doubt that both would still be around if one was that much better than the other. I hate it when people claim something is **** just because it isn't thier preference. I would think anyone who has higher-end Campy or Shimano has a damn good bike even if it isn't someone elses preference. Would I take Campy Record over Shimano Dura-Ace? Yes, but that is just my opinion. Do I think Shimano is junk compared to Campy? No, I think Shimano is fine. Ok, I'm off my soapbox now.

From those pics I would get shimano, Camp only give one break and one STI!!!

This may not be too helpful, but I have always looked at the Campy vs. Shimano debate as similar to the Microsoft vs. Apple debate.

Regarding Apple, it has been said that if you have to have it explained to you, you'll never get it. I use Apple computers. I fully realize that Microsoft allows a wider choice of software, a broader user base, and because of this, some ease of use in certain circumstances. But there is something lost, something missing in a Windows product for me. For lack of a better word, there is no 'soul.'

I see Shimano the same way. Campy products appeal to me in a way that Shimano never could. I still go on Ebay and seriously consider buying an old Nuevo Record derailleur just to put on my desk because it takes me back to when I was first able to afford one to put on my old Raleigh racing bike. I can't imagine ever feeling that way about a Shimano product.

So, if they both function within an acceptable range of performance, I will always pay a little extra for the soul of Campy. It makes me feel good when I polish my bike.

First, the reason Armstrong (and others) use a downtube shifter for the front chainring is weight ........ STI levers (and Ergo levers) are beasts compared to downtube when you include all the cabling and housing that is extra. Has nothing to do with performance.

Second, as someone who at one point had 5 different rode bikes at once (including a TT only Colnago Master Krono), I have used it all. I had Campy Ergo on my Colnago Technos, but had Dura Ace on my GT Edge chromo. The sh1tmano was lighter, and a little easier to operate, plus cost less than the Crampy.

HOWEVER ..... the Crampy was so solid and you knew when you were in gear, there was no "ifs" about the gear changing. But it was heavier ...... and a butt load more expensive (even buying things at cost like I was).

I really liked them both for different reasons. I also ran a downtube front shifter on my race bike. But when I did race the Campy equipped bike, it performed just as well. Just overall, that bike set-up was almost 2 lbs more than the race bike. Yes, there was a big difference in the frame weights, but many of the other non-drivetrain parts were similar.

They both work well, and have their advantages. Right now I'm riding 105 **** because I sold off all my bikes to pay off debts, and now that I am getting back into the sport, it was what I could afford when I built up the Torrelli frame.

When I get some cash available, I'll probably deck it out in Crampy stuff, because it is a sin to run sh1tmano on an Italian frame ...... ;)

well as far as shimano front shifters go u have 3 notchss 123 but Campagnolo u haev a cool system were u can mire it and it will sit any were u want. Campagnolo is the sam price as Shimano Shimano levers well dur ace 9 speed are AUSD $425 a side $850 a set and they were aut and can't be fixed. Were campagnolo 10 speed are $300 a side or $650 a set but unkike shimano u can fix em. or even totaly rebuild them they are made to last. the Record hubs are the smothest hub ever. and campagnolo is lighter and looks cooler and has no crapy bug intea gear cable "campagnolo is a work of art" "were ****mano is a crapy fart"

OK, so how many people in the world have the patience and wherewithall to actually FIX a Campy ergo. lever???

I worked as the service manager in fairly well respected shops for five years, and never had to fix ergo or STI levers. But playing around with them, I have gone inside them, and even with a lot of experience, it is a pain in the azz to work on ...........

There are advantages to both. But neither is better than the other. Pro riders are sponsored, they ride what they are given. Normal humans have choices that are usually determined by their budget.

Hmmm, I wonder if I'm the only one that thinks the Shimano stuff looks way better then the Campy. Although carbon fiber shimano would be nice.

BTW, I'm not nearly good enough a rider to notice the subtle differences in performance of the top end components, so I go by looks.:D

My first race bike had a low-end Campagnolo group and I bought in to the whole "soul" of Campy BS argument, but back then Campy really was better than anything Shimano was offering and I smiled everytime I cleaned my shiny engraved Italian parts. But Campy fell on its ass trying to copy Shimano's innovations over the next few years and they sold some truly crappy and overpriced components. The Campaphiles kept on preaching that their components had soul but a lot of folks made the switch and never looked back - I'm one of them.

Campagnolo did a great job of reinventing itself, redesigning its components, and reaffirming its image and I would consider them for my next bike, but only because it's good stuff. I positively guarantee that my "old" Dura Ace has EXACTLY the same amount of soul as Carbon Record.

I'll NEVER get another Apple computer though after all the hassle I had with my II-E.

about fixing campagnolo ergo levers it's not that heard and not very dear . the maion unit cost only $40. and shimano can't be fixed so ur up for (9 speed)$450 a side were campagolo are only $600 set $300 a side and 10 speed

At our club, we are always joking about which is better. The quote of the year went to our coach though;

After someone lost his chain (campag.) changing gears, he managed to put it back on without stopping by changing into the big cog at the front and pedalling, this illicited a comment from the person behind me who yelled;

'I bet you can't do that with Shimano'

Before anyone could say anything, our coach yelled out from the pack of the pack;

'If you were on Shimano it wouldn't have come off in the first place!'

Touche!

Originally posted by king_matt87
and it is good how with campagnolo u don't move the brake lever u move a level behind it, with shimaNO u tend to rub the breaks when shifting becasue the lever is out so far.but at the end of the day it's up to u but as u can see i LOVE :p Campagnolo and :eek: dislike shimaNO.

If the levers are too far out for you, that is why Shimano offers WSD shifters. And no, you DO NOT hit the brakes while shifting gears on Shimano unless you just have no idea what you are doing. Please dont blame STI shifters for your inability to shift correctly.

I am very happy that you like your CampagNOlo stuff. I however ride Shimano Ultegra and I am a bit confused by your comments.

To me, a group needs to function first and foremost. My Ultegra shifts instantly, quitely and every time I ask it to. My brakes stop faster than I could ever want to (I can lock both tires on command, but wouldnt dare). My Dura Ace pedals are far better than the Looks I used to have. I outrun a CampagNOlo Record equipped EV4 on free descents on a regular basis. Lastly I have none of that annoying CampagNOlo buzzing.

So I guess my question is this: If my Ultegra group runs completely flawlessly, why in the world would I want to pay more money for something that can not possibly do better than the flawless I already have? I am sure that the upper end CampagNOlo stuff will shift just as well, brake just as well, and be just as reliable, but why should I care when I already have flawless?

Allan

ok nad u was not sayimng that i have a problem with rubing the braks whe shifting and that the levers are to far out for my hands i was stating this whatt happens o a lot of newer riders. but when u say that ur ulterga is good the thing about shimano is that dur ace and ulterga will be as good as each other when new but dur ace will out last ulterga. they say this about all 3 9 speed groupos shimano says that dur ace will last longer and thats about it. a thing i have noticed is that only like ulterga and durace ahev the same shape lever. becasue sora are a total different design and tigra r different again. with the new 10 speed shimano the levers change again. But in campagnolo record it is just beter form day one than chours with easyer shifting and general all round proformance and is a lt lighter. but u still see the top end desing of record throught the entire range of campagnolo.