Votes: 0 0.0%
  • just love using Campagnolo

Votes: 68 17.6%
  • like using shimaNO

Votes: 149 38.5%
  • using mavic or other

Votes: 170 43.9%

• Total voters
so the post above reply to how i have idden shimano and i can ue it fine and my hands are far big enought to us brakes and so on

Originally posted by king_matt87
ok nad u was not sayimng that i have a problem with rubing the braks whe shifting and that the levers are to far out for my hands i was stating this whatt happens o a lot of newer riders. but when u say that ur ulterga is good the thing about shimano is that dur ace and ulterga will be as good as each other when new but dur ace will out last ulterga. they say this about all 3 9 speed groupos shimano says that dur ace will last longer and thats about it. a thing i have noticed is that only like ulterga and durace ahev the same shape lever. becasue sora are a total different design and tigra r different again. with the new 10 speed shimano the levers change again. But in campagnolo record it is just beter form day one than chours with easyer shifting and general all round proformance and is a lt lighter. but u still see the top end desing of record throught the entire range of campagnolo.

Well Campy changes all the time too, check out:

http://www.campagnolo.com/qea_search.php?gid=all&cid=3&pid=8&key=comp&rev=1

and look at all the compatibility problems there. Shimano is not the only person to change designs yearly.

Funny thing is from everyone I have talked to the Ultegra components last longer. Dura Ace are made out of lighter components (Shimano web site says that Dura Ace and Ultegra are exactly the same, Dura Ace is just lighter) and so do not wear as well. Time will tell though. So as you see, Dura Ace and Ultegra share the exact same designs (usually one year behind I have noticed) just like you were bragging about Campy doing.

Now I didnt take measurements, but looking at the Shimano web site it LOOKS to me that Tiagra, 105, Ultegra and Dura Ace all have STI levers that look alike. The polish and finish is a bit different, but only Sora looks remarkably different. Of course Sora, the very bottom end, is the only one with thumb shifting like Campy.

Which brings me to another question. I used to run Sora on another bike and it has the thumb shifting like Campy Record. How in the heck do you shift it while in the drops?!?!?! With the Ultegra STIs it is easy to shift up or down, front or back, from any position.

Myself, my wife, and two others we ride with are all new riders. Not one of us has accidently hit the brakes while shifting our Sora, 105 or Ultegra shifters. So who is hitting the brakes?

As for the Ergobrain being so much better than the Flight Deck, according to:

http://www.campagnolo.com/pdf/ErgoBrain_r13.pdf

The Ergobrain has maybe 2 features that the FD does not, Self Learning (which is confusing since it tells you to enter the sprockets manually; Page UK-6, steps 6 and 7) and the light. The Flight Deck on the other hand while not having these two features does come wireless (or wired) and only uses one sensor for both speed and cadence. I also didnt see a lap counter, and the Ergo only works on two bikes (flight deck works on 4 bikes).

I am quite sure Campy stuff is excellent, but I get a little peeved when people start bashing Shimano for no apparent reason. Want to bash Sora? I'm there! But Sora was never designed to be pushed. Neither Campy or Shimano will make you a better rider.

Allan

well i found that Campagnolo ergo lever are quite easy to shift on the drops and yer sora is no way no how. the main difference between campagnolo and shimano is the total disgn campagnolo and shimano are a lot different campagnolo can get the levers in closer to the bars becasue the components are low in the lever were shimano are high in the top.

[As for the Ergobrain being so much better than the Flight Deck, according to:

The Ergobrain has maybe 2 features that the FD does not, Self Learning (which is confusing since it tells you to enter the sprockets manually; Page UK-6, steps 6 and 7) and the light. The Flight Deck on the other hand while not having these two features does come wireless (or wired) and only uses one sensor for both speed and cadence. I also didnt see a lap counter, and the Ergo only works on two bikes (flight deck works on 4 bikes).

I ride Ultegra with a wireless Flightdeck set up and I think both the groupset and the computer are first class. While the cadence meter on the flightdeck is a useful tool, it is not entirely accurate as it uses the speed versus chainring/gear to work out your cadence - it is not based on how often you pedal.

I used to have a lower spec'd bike with Sora which I upgraded to Tiagra as I did not like the thumb changing (guess that rules me out of campy gear) The STI's are the same as the Ultegra, just coated differently.

I ride with a lot of people who have campy gear and the shop I use sells campy gear instead of Shimano. Based on what I see, I still think the whole Shimano package is better. To a rider like me who is serious but not seriously good - it probably makes little difference though.

Originally posted by Aussie cycler

I ride Ultegra with a wireless Flightdeck set up and I think both the groupset and the computer are first class. While the cadence meter on the flightdeck is a useful tool, it is not entirely accurate as it uses the speed versus chainring/gear to work out your cadence - it is not based on how often you pedal.

I used to have a lower spec'd bike with Sora which I upgraded to Tiagra as I did not like the thumb changing (guess that rules me out of campy gear) The STI's are the same as the Ultegra, just coated differently.

I ride with a lot of people who have campy gear and the shop I use sells campy gear instead of Shimano. Based on what I see, I still think the whole Shimano package is better. To a rider like me who is serious but not seriously good - it probably makes little difference though.

Originally posted by Aussie cycler

First I think this is a personal choice and both are good..

I have used Shimano for years (mostly Ultegra level) and I have changed all over to Campy... I am very happy with the Campy in the last 3 months or so. I have Record and really love it.. The main reason I switched was for the comfort on the hoods, after years of shimano hoods my hands would ache while riding... and for me the campy hoods are much more comfortable.. A personal choice..

I do think the Campy is much nicer looking and the shifting is much quicker than my old shimano.. I love the thumb shifters and it is easy enough to shift in the drops.. I was originally getting chorus but was lucky enough to have a friend at a bike shop to get me a good price for the record... and one advantage of the carbon levers is when hot and sweaty my hands don't feel like they are about to slide off the brake levers.

It is also nice after years of riding to have the nice Italian stuff, with lots of history instead of the Japanese stuff. But again the Shimano stuff is very functional and price effective. It is all a personal choice. Also I'm glad I have the 03 Record and not all the new carbon in the 04... I like the shiney silver stuff, but the carbon that I have is really nice... I think the 04 Chorus group will be the best value.. more or less the same as the 03 record group.

yer ur the only one who thinks it looks good the mani reasn people use shimano is it comes on most bikes, becasue it's made in china it's easy for it to be shiped down with da est of the biek. U like my 100% made in itly bike campagnolo record!

yer ur the only one who thinks it looks good the mani reasn people use shimano is it comes on most bikes, becasue it's made in china it's easy for it to be shiped down with da est of the biek. U like my 100% made in itly bike campagnolo record!

He isnt the only one, I think the shifters on my Ultegra look cool too. I believe that Shimano is made in Japan, not China. Although they have an office in China (as well as the US, Canada, Netherlands, etc) their main headquarters is in Japan. My main bike was made in the USA, so it would be just as hard to get Shimano as Campy. No, I do not like your 100% made in italy stuff.

Allan

well dur-ace and ulterga are made in japan and teh other cheaper oense are made off site in china. wee as all campagnolo parts are made one the same mechians in italy even on same meacians just out of different part like record tehy use carbon and same with 04 chours were if they were making mirage tehy put in hight grade alloy.

well dur-ace and ulterga are made in japan and teh other cheaper oense are made off site in china. wee as all campagnolo parts are made one the same mechians in italy even on same meacians just out of different part like record tehy use carbon and same with 04 chours were if they were making mirage tehy put in hight grade alloy.

I would like to know where you found information saying any of Shimano's parts are from China. I only found that their main manufacturing plant is in Japan with some fishing reels possibly made in Malaysia. I did however find some Campagnolo parts made in Japan, check out the Ergo Brain at:

http://www.lickbike.com/i3201100.htm
http://www.campyonly.com/rumors_2000.html

Seems that Campy isnt 100% Italian after all :) Not to mention that it seems Campy used an expired Shimano patent to make their "Ultra-Drive" Cassette.

Allan

this is my origal post saying that my bike is made in italy ok! and i do run a ergo brain and the world leading electronic components come form japan/china but all hard wear is made in italy Groupset levers brakes b/f craks chain hubs chain casset wheels ................... very sory to mislead u i know the ergo barin is made by cateye in japain/china

this is my origal post saying that my bike is made in italy ok! and i do run a ergo brain and the world leading electronic components come form japan/china but all hard wear is made in italy Groupset levers brakes b/f craks chain hubs chain casset wheels ................... very sory to mislead u i know the ergo barin is made by cateye in japain/china

On 14-10.-2003 12:27 PM you stated that Dura-Ace STI levers were $450 a side, just to let you know you can get them from PerformanceBike.com for $384 for BOTH.

On 12-10.-2003 07:43 AM VitaminE stated he thinks the Shimano components look better so I am not the "only one" as you claim.

I would like to see some references to Shimano being made in China, because they are made in Japan which is not the same as China.

My bike was made in the USA so either from Japan or Italy wouldnt make a difference, just as hard to get from either one to the US.

No, I do not like your "100% made in itly bike campagnolo record", sorry. And if you bothered to look at your own poll you would see that there are 32 other people like me, so I am far from alone. I am sorry that everyone doesnt think just like you, but not everyone thinks that Campy is that much, if any, better than Shimano.

Allan

I've had Shimano Ultegra for one season and previous years I've had Campagnolo Chorus. I have to say that I use whatever I get for free. If I have to buy a groupset myself I'd choose Campagnolo Chorus. I'm not fanatic Campagnolo fan but I just find Campagnolo more durable than any of the Shimano groupsets. I rode my last Chorus equipped bike for two seasons and it served me great. Now I've ridden ultegra equipped bike for one season and it's just not working as well as two years old Chorus.

I don't know anything about this -04 Dura Ace or -04 Record but I'm sure Record is still working well after 60 000km. Record has also new "features" each year whereas Dura Ace usually stays the same for many years.

p.s. Record has COOL carbon "details".

One more thing...You can't compare Record and Dura Ace, you should compare Chorus and Dura Ace;)

well thast right record is just in it's own felid above any thing else on the market but now even chours has teh cool Record look with carbon components and record has taken teh chalenge to go full carbon every thing acept teh brakes and chain

I am a Campy only retro grouch. But I am considering... as a winter project... to build up a '70s total Japanese period piece with all Crane and Dura stuff on a really off beat jap frame with rising sun flag decals..... just for the novelty of it.

Definately - shimano looks more space age and futuristic - campag looks old school (which is prob why they use carbon fibre to try and update - they should come up to date in style before making stuff from carbon fibre) Campag is a bit too clunky too - all feels a lot cheaper than dura ace. ( although a lot of cheaper shimano is very plasticky but same with campag).

No Campagnolo Is A not old school but new and cool and no carbon fibre is not to make it look newer, ******** it is able to be aplied in meny more Applications for dtrength weight. if u compare the prices of Campagnolo record and shimaNO dura ace 10 sd u will fid a full groupsets are like a dollars $5.00 apart But yes shimaNO looks ad feels plasticky because it is plastic and alloy tahst it the only part of the Campagolo groupset taht is plastic is the Ergo brain and i can tell u it's not put under great stress. I own a Merida gross Venus C7 carbo frame with Campagnolo record and Campagnolo wheels. all i can say is that is a sweet bike i love her. i had a bike with shimaNO nar no good hate it, but this is just my choice if u liek riding second grade components. when people say i love Campagnolo and i hate shmaNO tell me y and what garde and bike u haev ridden the groups on like i mean saying i love shimaNO Dura- ace and only ever riging Campagnolo Mirage(trust me they'd be close)But u can't say u realy gave Campagnolo a real go, I did a season on dur-ace so i can compare. as some one said u can't compare Campagnolo Record to any thing it is above all u need compare like shomaNO dur-ace to Campagnolo Centaur(this is 10 speedby the way) shimaNo only just got there first 10 spped groupo out there now 2004 range! so don't say teh highly engineered wnderfull Campagnolo Range is behind the times(campag looks old school) ur quote i think plastic shimaNO is still with 8 speed(sora) low end groupset and only now got there top group 10speed(dur-ace) Campagnolo have had 10 spped groupsets out for years with almost all groupsets 10 spped except Mirage and Xenon 9 speed just liek dur-ace but they last longer!!!!!!!