Campagnolo Wheels

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by king_matt87, Mar 1, 2004.

1. king_matt87

king_matt87 New Member

Ok i want a wheelset for my Merida gross venus C7 wich u would have seen throught the posts, ok well it's a light bike so i want to keep it taht way. ok my ideal wheels set would b hyperon or bora but i don't have $4000 to spend. but for about$1000 what can i get that is good i mean i love teh wheels i have on there Campagnolo Record hubs with sapin 3 buttered spokes with Areo Head Off SET REAR RIM. i love the way Record hubs feel to hide u can out coast any 1 else and i'm not a big guy it's trhe hubs. so i was thinking eurus or zonda, proton or nurtrons all campagnolo wheels but what else is there for $700 to $1800 that works with Record 10 speed. By teh way not taht i would ever want to but u can order campagnolo wheels to work with shimaNO but u can't use shimaNO wheels in a Campagnolo bike.

Tags:

2. KGnagey

KGnagey New Member

I ride Campy Nuetron's. They are built w/ Record hubs, bladed spokes and are 9/10spd compatable. I posted a review of them under product reviews.

3. king_matt87

king_matt87 New Member

ok thanx i wil prob go for ever nuetron or eurus wheels send replies on other wheels to for me people i want to know whats out there and what u ride

4. larry barr

larry barr New Member

Campy. I just got the Neutrons, which are part of the climb dynamic series. Wonderful wheel. The Eurus is also great and actually looks a little cooler with the G3 spoking. It is their aero wheel, but I suspect it climbs well too.

5. Ted B

Ted B New Member

I ride Hyperons (which are fabulous), but if I was going to go out and buy a new Campy clincher wheelset, I would opt for the Eurus. The Eurus wheelset weighs and costs almost exactly the same as the Neutron, but is a more aero wheel and has the G3 spoking system.

6. angrydave

angrydave New Member

I have the Eurus, and I love it. It makes the bike feel 10 MPH faster. I also ride with record/open pros, and I can honestly say the Eurus feel better. Cant go wrong.

7. drewjc

drewjc New Member

king-matt87 i know i am just being picky but can u please take a little more care with your spelling and grammar. Obviously there are shorthand words and stuff that u can use while on the computer but i think that u r the only person who spells "that" as "taht". Coming from Tasmania i would assume that your first language is english so please can u take some care as it is painful to read some (most) of your posts. There are non-english speaking members who do a better job than you do!!

BTW i would personally go for the Campag Eurus. To me they seem be the best value all-round wheelset. Light and aero (not areo). Not sure if they have buttered spokes as i usually save this for my toast in the morning, but i think that the blades do a pretty good job anyway. Also is there a reason that you have mentioned the Shimano wheels vs Campag wheels thing? u havent asked a question, you just made a statement, im not sure of the reason for this......never mind, and good luck with the wheels dude.

8. larry barr

larry barr New Member

You are so on the money. There is no comparison between the record/open pro build versus the Neutron or Eurus. either is significantly lighter and the difference in my ability to spin up on my Neutrons is incredible. I really wanted the Eurus, but came across such a deal on the Neutrons I had to take them.

9. tomgaul

tomgaul New Member

I also have the Nuetrons in tubular, I got a great deal on mine also. I decided because they were the only ones available in tubular in my price range.

10. larry barr

larry barr New Member

I went the clincher route. I used to ride on tubulars, I find todays clinchers are of such quality that it wasn't worth the hassle.

11. cuervo

cuervo New Member

How about Bontrager Race X-Lite? I have them and I really like it.

On the other side, I must confess to you that I find the Mavic Ksyrium as the most appealing and tempting wheels out there.

12. larry barr

larry barr New Member

Why is that? Because everybody and their brother and sister ride them as well?

13. cuervo

cuervo New Member

I'd said "appealing and tempting", not that their are better, lighter, stronger or faster than any other.

I think that coming from Mavic must be a good product, but I never have tried them. My comment comes only for the look, it’s a cool wheel.

14. tafi

tafi Member

I admit that they look cool, but the reviews I've gotten from mates aren't flattering. The freewheels are notoriously tight and the aluminium spokes fatigue rather rapidly and cost a bomb to replace. The wheelset isn't as smooth and fast a year after purchase.

15. Powerful Pete

Powerful Pete New Member

Ok, please do not tell anyone. I have always been a supporter of mavic rims and campagnolo hubs (except when I used to ride Campagnolo Omega rims in the good old days). I have actually advised people on cyclingforums against 'boutique' wheelsets.

But.. I secretly lust after a set of Campagnolo wheels. Eurus and/or Neutron. But just how reliable are they? I noticed the recent review on cyclingnews.com, but I wonder how they would hold up in the long run? I am, unforunately, not quite as light as I would like to be... 86 kgs at the moment (and not all of it is rippling muscle... ok... please have pity and do not ask).

How would a set of these wheels hold up under real world conditions, ridden on training rides (I do not race anymore)?

I currently ride Mavic MA something rims with Campagnolo Chorus hubs and have NO complaints. An occasional trueing when I hit really rough stuff, but they are fine. I ride mainly on flat to rolling terrain, and my gut is obviously much more of an obstacle to improved performance than my equipment.

I know that I do not NEED them, but would it be a waste of money (in the sense that they would spend more time in the LBS getting fixed/trued rather than riding)?

Thanks for any advice. And sorry for the rambling!

16. larry barr

larry barr New Member

I fulfilled my desire for neutrons earlier this year and they have been great. They are my everyday wheel and are holding up very well. I go about 173 LB by the way.

17. flat tire

flat tire New Member

I weigh 195 lbs (been trying to get down to 180-185 so I have been riding more but eating more too!) and I have had no problem with the Eurus rear wheel. That rear wheel is strong! Now I have noticed some flex with the front wheel over bumps at speed, but that no longer bothers me. They have stayed true after about 2,500 miles to date. I ride a lot of chip seal asphault and over bad railroad crossings too. I can't recall for sure, but I think the owner's manual said they are appropriate for up to a 180 pound rider. I can't find my manual at this time to confirm. I know heavier riders have reported using them (including me) with no complaints.

18. larry barr

larry barr New Member

Mine continue to hold up great. Of course now I also want a set of
    Topolino's and maybe some Nimbles. LB

19. JohnO

JohnO New Member

I've had Zondas for a year now. Good reasonably priced intermediate aero wheels. Not as stiff riding as my Rolfs. Hubs on the Zondas aren't bad, but they aren't Record smooth either. Eurus is Zonda with Record hubs.

Recently picked up a set of 2002 year Zipp 404's for $650. Tubular, of course. Over my favorite 20 mile loop, they average about 1mph faster than the Rolfs or Zondas. 2-3mph faster on my favorite downhill, 49mph instead of 46.5. I'm going to break 50 next weekend! On the downside, the Zipps, like the Boras, are CF and can be prone to side punctures on the rim in a crash.

The other thing I love about the Zipps is that they seem to have solved my numb hands problem, athough it's an expensive solution. I figured I'd sell the Zipps next spring, just wanted to ride a set and see what the fuss was about, but they ride so smooth I think I'll hang onto them.

20. matt1

matt1 New Member

Campag Neutron in Clinchers. Strong light and fast. Had the ksyriums and I find these much better.