Campagnolo Wheels



Andrews1

New Member
May 12, 2004
4
0
0
Have you ever thought of trying American classic CR 420 I heard they're pretty good.
 

BeeGuy

New Member
May 12, 2003
44
0
0
I ride the poor sister of Campy wheels, the Scrirocco. They have the G3 spoking but use the Veloce hub. They weigh in at 1800g or so, mostly due to hub weight. That said, I've raced and trained on them over the past three seasons, putting on about 13000 miles and they are still true and round. I weigh 220 and put them through a lot in sprints.

All of that said, I lust after the Eurus...

chris
ne iowa
 

akamrkent

New Member
Dec 1, 2003
11
0
0
I've been riding the Eurus for the past couple of years and swear by them. I actually use them on my training bike. Considering that they are an aero wheel, I've found them to be quite bombproof. I've never had a problem with spokes or true. I also have a set of HED Alps that I've also had for a couple of years and ride on another bike. The HED's are probably the lightest set of clinchers that I've found. I've had no problems with them and they are super fast, however, due to the carbon fiber, I'm not so sure about durability in different elements.
 

cretschk

New Member
Nov 5, 2003
14
0
0
Campagnolo Eurus are a great wheel. I have them teamed with Continental Attack / Force pumped up to their recommended 120psi. They are sufficiently aerodynamic to handle high speeds without too much cross wind effect as well as being light and stiff, making them great for climbing as well.
 

chriskaiser

New Member
Dec 5, 2004
17
0
0
36
I have the '04 Ksyrium Elite wheelset the model below the Ksyrium SL, they have steel spokes and I like the feel of them better than the SLs with the Al ones. The rims are extremely strong one of the reasons is because it use mavic's Fore technology, which pierces only one of the rim walls and then the rim is tapped and a little insert is put in which holds the spoke. They also use straight pull spokes which do not tend to break often.
Tafi said:
The freewheels are notoriously tight
In my experience the freewheel was just right, maybe it is a problem with the SLs.

It also depends on what type of riding you do, some roads here are full of holes and bumps and these wheels can go over them without any damage. Even it you get hit by a car and it folds your fork, good chance the wheel will still be in good shape. **
 

jmaes

New Member
Oct 31, 2003
11
0
0
I've been training and racing on Campy Eurus wheels for the past year. They are great wheels! Fast, true, and stiff...everything you could ever want.:D
 

Stelvio

New Member
Nov 14, 2003
10
0
0
I couldn't resist the urge. I bought a set of the Campy Eurus but have not had a chance to ride them. I figured I'd get them before the price goes up in the spring due to the falling dollar (unless Campy did some good FX hedging on their US business). Glad to see how much people love their Eurus and how well they are holding up.

Stelvio
 

badweatherrider

New Member
Nov 5, 2005
1
0
0
flat tire said:
I weigh 195 lbs (been trying to get down to 180-185 so I have been riding more but eating more too!) and I have had no problem with the Eurus rear wheel. That rear wheel is strong! Now I have noticed some flex with the front wheel over bumps at speed, but that no longer bothers me. They have stayed true after about 2,500 miles to date. I ride a lot of chip seal asphault and over bad railroad crossings too. I can't recall for sure, but I think the owner's manual said they are appropriate for up to a 180 pound rider. I can't find my manual at this time to confirm. I know heavier riders have reported using them (including me) with no complaints.
Dear Flat tire: Us bigger riders got to stick together. I am 5'11 and 190 lbs and I ride every day rain or shine. It is hard losing weight even with a lot of riding. I have read a lot of reviews on wheels but they are generally not geared to the bigger rider. I have a set of Mavic Ksyrium Sl's and a set of Hed Alps on my other bike. The Hed Alps are fast in calm conditions and on flat terrain----but put them in windy rainy weather or hilly terrain and they really slow down. I also do not feel as confident with them braking in wet conditions. All that said they are a great wheel for the right conditions. The Sl's are a great all around wheel and are strong for bigger riders. I am just in the process of putting a set of Hed Stingers on my campy equipped Cannondale but carbon wheels are a hassle--special brake pads etc. I am looking at the Rolf Elan Aero and the
Mavic ES wheel as good all around wheels but I think I also need to look at the Eurus. I am still not sure about Carbon wheels for everyday---a lot of hassle.
 

JohnO

New Member
Jul 5, 2003
1,495
0
0
You're right about the carbon wheels. I have a set of Zipp 404's that I picked up for a (relative) bargain last fall. Superb wheel - fast on the flats, fast on the climbs, very fast on the downhills, but... riding them every day is a bit nerve wracking. You never know when... I turned a corner on a back road, and some motherless ******* had cut a trench around 1" deep and 3" wide across the road. Pile on the brakes, still turning so no bunny hop, and a big WHACK!. Stopped, looked the Zipps over, no apparent damage, but that's why you don't ride wheels like that a lot - they're a bit fragile. Also, mine seem to need truing about every 500 miles. Not an everyday wheel, or one you'd put on in a local crit, where your expensive wheels are at the mercy of the lowest IQ in the peloton.

My everyday wheelset is Campy Zonda - identical to the Eurus but without Record hubs. $350-400 a set. They're as aero as the Rolf Vector Pros I had been riding, but the ride isn't quite as brutal as the spoking is milder. The Zondas are sharp looking wheels, too, with their anodized black on silver finish. Not that appearance matters... very much...



badweatherrider said:
Dear Flat tire: Us bigger riders got to stick together. I am 5'11 and 190 lbs and I ride every day rain or shine. It is hard losing weight even with a lot of riding. I have read a lot of reviews on wheels but they are generally not geared to the bigger rider. I have a set of Mavic Ksyrium Sl's and a set of Hed Alps on my other bike. The Hed Alps are fast in calm conditions and on flat terrain----but put them in windy rainy weather or hilly terrain and they really slow down. I also do not feel as confident with them braking in wet conditions. All that said they are a great wheel for the right conditions. The Sl's are a great all around wheel and are strong for bigger riders. I am just in the process of putting a set of Hed Stingers on my campy equipped Cannondale but carbon wheels are a hassle--special brake pads etc. I am looking at the Rolf Elan Aero and the
Mavic ES wheel as good all around wheels but I think I also need to look at the Eurus. I am still not sure about Carbon wheels for everyday---a lot of hassle.
 

Iron Man

New Member
Sep 19, 2005
78
0
0
39
larry barr said:
I fulfilled my desire for neutrons earlier this year and they have been great. They are my everyday wheel and are holding up very well. I go about 173 LB by the way.
the eurus are a great wheel, because they have a "ball and cone" hub which basically means less rolling resistance, however thay are not sealed bearing so you will need to take them out from time to time to clean them. would you consider the campy zonda?
The only mavics i have used are the carbone elite, they are nice aero wheel but a little out of your range but you can usually work out a deal.
 

Matt N

New Member
Aug 10, 2004
36
0
0
I currently have Chorus hubs with Mavic Open Pro rims and have been mostly happy with them (except for a split rim earlier this year after about 10,000kms and the fact that they are quite heavy once you add stainless steel double butted spokes), but have just ordered a pair of 2006 Eurus wheels. The 2006 Eurus model is a whole new wheel by the looks (see the Campag website) and is 1490 grams! I ordered them from Totalcycling.com and saved a heap (about 40%) over the rip-off retail price in Australia.

I am a fan of Mavic products (have used many Mavic rims), but why the hoards go for Mavic wheelsets over Campag is beyond me. Campag wheelsets are lighter, classier and have unbeatable Record quality hubs. My Chorus hubs have around 20,000kms on them (without ever having been regreased) and they still outspin guys on Mavic hubs (forget Shitmano - I think they use the same plastic bearings from the fishing rod department). Not sure on the price difference (as I do not follow prices on Mavic wheelsets), but who cares. Record hubs have always been the benchmark and still are.

Cheers
 

king_matt87

New Member
Aug 25, 2003
108
0
0
34
yer my record hubs in my road bike 2004 groupset spin so nice. I had durace in last bike and trained on 105 hubs well they are just poor. fishing rod is right.
The 2006 Eurus so you had any troubles etc they have the record hubs don't they? how much they end up costing you? Can u notice the G3 spoking like does it roll smoth and fast power response?
The front is straight and rear is G3 and weight is dropped off last year.
 

Matt N

New Member
Aug 10, 2004
36
0
0
king_matt87 said:
yer my record hubs in my road bike 2004 groupset spin so nice. I had durace in last bike and trained on 105 hubs well they are just poor. fishing rod is right.
The 2006 Eurus so you had any troubles etc they have the record hubs don't they? how much they end up costing you? Can u notice the G3 spoking like does it roll smoth and fast power response?
The front is straight and rear is G3 and weight is dropped off last year.
I've ridden around 5,000km on the 2006 Eurus wheels and they are sensational. They spin out beautifully and the bladed spokes cut through the wind noticeably better than traditional spokes (both in side winds and headwinds). They are extremely strong - I give them a hard time and jump potholes regularly and they are still dead straight. I paid around $950 Aus for them from Totalcycling.com (plus freight plus GST). But that is still around $600-$700 cheaper than buying locally. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Cheers
 

king_matt87

New Member
Aug 25, 2003
108
0
0
34
yer Im only riding at momenmt not racing.
I have Velocity OC Areo head on record Hubs 28 spokes just plan 3 cross. These wheels are light and fast i had them for when i was a junior but now i can run like the 16/21 spoke campys wheels.
 

tigradekat

New Member
Aug 14, 2006
18
0
0
Id go for a set of Shimano Dura Ace WH-7801 carbons. Best carbon wheels out there. Oh, and swap the Campy stuff to full Dura Ace for compatiblility ;)
 

luv2ride

New Member
Jul 31, 2005
39
0
0
31
I would go with a set of Rolf wheels. I use the Vigors for racing, and they are a mighty sturdy wheel. They climb well, can corner, and can roll on the flats. They are also really light. Depending on what u are going to use it for, you might want to look into the carbon Rolfs. I have heard they are really nice.
 

king_matt87

New Member
Aug 25, 2003
108
0
0
34
yer rolf wheels are ment to be fast and light, I'm looking into a few other options now. Looking for medium profile 25-35mm rims low spoke count that weigh around 1400gm.
 

when eddy ruled

New Member
Mar 10, 2006
153
0
0
cretschk said:
Campagnolo Eurus are a great wheel. I have them teamed with Continental Attack / Force pumped up to their recommended 120psi. They are sufficiently aerodynamic to handle high speeds without too much cross wind effect as well as being light and stiff, making them great for climbing as well.
second the eurus and conti's!!! if you do get eurus get the black ones, we all know black goes faster than silver :D