Campagnolo Xenon 9 speed...no front trim?

ives

Jun 24, 2003
Could anyone tell me how much of a problem it is not having any trim for the front mech with campag Xenon 9 speed?
I've heard that Xenon don't have any trim facility for the front shifter.
Does this result in the chain rubbing on the front mech in certain gears?
I'm not sure if it's worth paying the extra for Mirage (9sp) or to get Xenon (9 sp) for my training/commuter bike.
I know the 07 campag stuff (except Record and Chorus) don't have trim either.
Perhaps it's not important?

Any advice appreciated.

ives said:
Could anyone tell me how much of a problem it is not having any trim for the front mech with campag Xenon 9 speed?
I've heard that Xenon don't have any trim facility for the front shifter.
Does this result in the chain rubbing on the front mech in certain gears?
I'm not sure if it's worth paying the extra for Mirage (9sp) or to get Xenon (9 sp) for my training/commuter bike.
I know the 07 campag stuff (except Record and Chorus) don't have trim either.
Perhaps it's not important?

Any advice appreciated.
It's not a lack of front trim that makes the Xenons undesirable - as far as I know they do have front trim, although I'd have to check to be sure. It's the inability to shift up more than one gear at a time. On all other campag 9spd you can use the thumb shifter to shift several gears up at a time. On Xenon (and 07 mirage/veloce/centaur, which have moved to Xenon internals), you can only shift one gear at a time.
For that reason alone (as well as the fact that 9spd mirage have better quality internals (functionally the same as record), I'd say go for Mirage every time. Wouldn't touch Xenon ergos with a bargepole, although the rest of the group's fine.