Campbells Meatloaf recipe

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by [email protected], Apr 6, 2006.

  1. Back in the late 60s early 70s, Campbells had a recipe on their
    Vegetarian Vegetable soup label for meatloaf. My mom used to make it
    all the time. I want to surprise her with it for her birthday, but I
    can't find the label she kept with the recipe on it. I know it had 2
    parts ground beef to 1 part ground pork and contained a beaten egg and
    oatmeal, but I have no idea of the proportions or other ingrdients.

    I've tried Campbells recipe site, but all the recipes they have are
    updated modern versions, and I want to make it "Like mom used to make"

    Can anybody help.

    Tags:

  2. jillie

    jillie Guest

    I did a search and found this but see it doesn't have oatmeal. Think
    you could substitue the oatmeal for the bread crumbs.
    http://tinyurl.com/j75hs
    Let me warn you, though...nothing tastes as good as Mom's
    meatloaf..even using the same recipe!

    jillie
    Roseville, CA

  3. [email protected] wrote:
    > Back in the late 60s early 70s, Campbells had a recipe on their
    > Vegetarian Vegetable soup label for meatloaf. My mom used to make it
    > all the time. I want to surprise her with it for her birthday, but I
    > can't find the label she kept with the recipe on it. I know it had 2
    > parts ground beef to 1 part ground pork and contained a beaten egg and
    > oatmeal, but I have no idea of the proportions or other ingrdients.
    >
    > I've tried Campbells recipe site, but all the recipes they have are
    > updated modern versions, and I want to make it "Like mom used to make"
    >
    > Can anybody help.

    Wow, my mom still makes her meatloaf like that and I never knew it came
    from the can of Campbell's soup! She uses a can (undiluted) of
    vegetarian vegetable, one beaten egg and handful or so of fresh
    breadcrumbs (not oatmeal) to about 2 lbs. of ground beef. Salt and
    pepper too. Hope your mom has a happy birthday!

    Sandy

  4. Rusty

    Rusty Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > Back in the late 60s early 70s, Campbells had a recipe on their
    > Vegetarian Vegetable soup label for meatloaf. My mom used to make it
    > all the time. I want to surprise her with it for her birthday, but I
    > can't find the label she kept with the recipe on it. I know it had 2
    > parts ground beef to 1 part ground pork and contained a beaten egg and
    > oatmeal, but I have no idea of the proportions or other ingrdients.
    >
    > I've tried Campbells recipe site, but all the recipes they have are
    > updated modern versions, and I want to make it "Like mom used to make"
    >
    > Can anybody help.

    I found these, but they don't contain pork:

    -----

    Meatloaf

    1 lb ground beef
    1 can vegetarian vegetable soup
    1 C oatmeal
    1 egg
    1/8 t onion salt
    1/8 t poultry seasoning
    1 T lemon juice
    2 T catsup

    Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

    Combine all of the above ingredients and place into a loaf pan. Bake
    for 1hr 10 min.

    ----

    Moist Meatloaf

    1 lb ground beef
    1 can vegetarian vegetable soup
    1-2 Tbsp catsup
    1 tsp poultry seasoning
    1 tsp Italian seasoning
    1 tsp milk
    1-1 1/2 cups oatmeal

    Combine all in ingredients and place in a loaf pan.
    Cook in a 350 degree oven for 1-1 1/4 hrs.

    -----

    Rusty

  5. Rusty

    Rusty Guest

    Here's another recipe similar to your description:

    -----
    Meatloaf

    2 pounds of ground beef
    1 pound ground pork
    Onion flakes, reconstructed with water.
    Worcestershire sauce
    Parsley flakes
    1 Egg (uncooked)
    1/2 cup of oatmeal(uncooked)
    Dash of salt and pepper.

    Stirr together and place in a 10 by 10 pan in the shape of a loaf about
    6 x 10 in size. Ketchup is poured over the top.
    Cook it for about 1 hour in a 375 degree oven. .
    -----

    Rusty

  6. Rusty wrote:

    > Here's another recipe similar to your description:
    >
    > -----
    > Meatloaf
    >
    > 2 pounds of ground beef
    > 1 pound ground pork
    > Onion flakes, reconstructed with water.

    Anybody actually use these "onion flakes"? i have seen a jar of cooked
    and dried onions for sale in our local "Chinatown" and am tempted to
    purchase a jar of them, just cause the 'elderly relative' is a onion lover.

    I tried onion powder once but thought it was awful.
    ---
    JL

    > Worcestershire sauce
    > Parsley flakes
    > 1 Egg (uncooked)
    > 1/2 cup of oatmeal(uncooked)
    > Dash of salt and pepper.
    >
    > Stirr together and place in a 10 by 10 pan in the shape of a loaf about
    > 6 x 10 in size. Ketchup is poured over the top.
    > Cook it for about 1 hour in a 375 degree oven. .
    > -----
    >
    > Rusty

  7. Dan Abel

    Dan Abel Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Joseph Littleshoes <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Rusty wrote:
    >
    > > Here's another recipe similar to your description:
    > >
    > > -----
    > > Meatloaf
    > >
    > > 2 pounds of ground beef
    > > 1 pound ground pork
    > > Onion flakes, reconstructed with water.

    > Anybody actually use these "onion flakes"? i have seen a jar of cooked
    > and dried onions for sale in our local "Chinatown" and am tempted to
    > purchase a jar of them, just cause the 'elderly relative' is a onion lover.
    >
    > I tried onion powder once but thought it was awful.

    Not much better, but a little. I think there's less surface area. I
    keep a little container around for emergencies.

    I don't know about the ones you saw, but I don't think they are usually
    cooked.

    I also like to use it for my lowfat yoghurt dill dip for raw vegetables.
    The yoghurt is too thin to make a good dip. Adding dried dill weed,
    dried chives, dried parsley and these onions sucks up some moisture. I
    leave it overnight and by the next day it is a little thicker.

    --
    Dan Abel
    [email protected]

  8. Rusty

    Rusty Guest

    Joseph Littleshoes wrote:
    > Rusty wrote:
    >
    > > Here's another recipe similar to your description:
    > >
    > > -----
    > > Meatloaf
    > >
    > > 2 pounds of ground beef
    > > 1 pound ground pork
    > > Onion flakes, reconstructed with water.

    > Anybody actually use these "onion flakes"? i have seen a jar of cooked
    > and dried onions for sale in our local "Chinatown" and am tempted to
    > purchase a jar of them, just cause the 'elderly relative' is a onion lover.
    >
    > I tried onion powder once but thought it was awful.
    > ---
    > JL
    >
    > > Worcestershire sauce
    > > Parsley flakes
    > > 1 Egg (uncooked)
    > > 1/2 cup of oatmeal(uncooked)
    > > Dash of salt and pepper.
    > >
    > > Stirr together and place in a 10 by 10 pan in the shape of a loaf about
    > > 6 x 10 in size. Ketchup is poured over the top.
    > > Cook it for about 1 hour in a 375 degree oven. .
    > > -----
    > >
    > > Rusty

    I grabbed this recipe off the Campbells discussion board. I use onion
    flakes in soups sometimes when I'm too lazy to chop raw onions. They
    have a different flavor than fresh onions, but their not bad.

    Rusty

  9. Rusty wrote:

    > Joseph Littleshoes wrote:
    >
    >>Rusty wrote:
    >>

    >>>Here's another recipe similar to your description:
    >>>
    >>>-----
    >>>Meatloaf
    >>>
    >>>2 pounds of ground beef
    >>>1 pound ground pork
    >>>Onion flakes, reconstructed with water.

    >>Anybody actually use these "onion flakes"? i have seen a jar of cooked
    >>and dried onions for sale in our local "Chinatown" and am tempted to
    >>purchase a jar of them, just cause the 'elderly relative' is a onion lover.
    >>
    >>I tried onion powder once but thought it was awful.
    >>---
    >>JL
    >>

    >>>Worcestershire sauce
    >>>Parsley flakes
    >>>1 Egg (uncooked)
    >>>1/2 cup of oatmeal(uncooked)
    >>>Dash of salt and pepper.
    >>>
    >>>Stirr together and place in a 10 by 10 pan in the shape of a loaf about
    >>>6 x 10 in size. Ketchup is poured over the top.
    >>>Cook it for about 1 hour in a 375 degree oven. .
    >>>-----
    >>>
    >>>Rusty
    >>>

    > I grabbed this recipe off the Campbells discussion board. I use onion
    > flakes in soups sometimes when I'm too lazy to chop raw onions. They
    > have a different flavor than fresh onions, but their not bad.
    >
    > Rusty

    I just got back from Chinatown with my new bottle of "Hanh Phi"
    echalotes frits - fried red onions. Product of Vietnam, a little oil
    but no cholesterol, no sugar, small amount of salt.

    And very tasty, quite good right out of the jar, not in a liquid, sort
    of dried but not completely, i think they will be very good on a baked
    potato, sprinkled on soup, in salads, meat loaf, scrambled eggs or
    omelettes etc. $1.50 for 227 gr.
    ---
    JL

  10. Ward Abbott

    Ward Abbott Guest

    On 6 Apr 2006 11:37:47 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

    >Back in the late 60s early 70s, Campbells had a recipe on their
    >Vegetarian Vegetable soup label for meatloaf.

    Guess you had to be smokin something back in the 60's to have

    VEGETARIAN VEGETABLE SOUP FOR MEATLOAF?

    No wonder Campbell's can't recall.

  11. [email protected] hitched up their panties and posted
    news:[email protected]:

    > Back in the late 60s early 70s, Campbells had a recipe on their
    > Vegetarian Vegetable soup label for meatloaf. My mom used to make it
    > all the time. I want to surprise her with it for her birthday, but I
    > can't find the label she kept with the recipe on it. I know it had 2
    > parts ground beef to 1 part ground pork and contained a beaten egg and
    > oatmeal, but I have no idea of the proportions or other ingrdients.
    >
    > I've tried Campbells recipe site, but all the recipes they have are
    > updated modern versions, and I want to make it "Like mom used to make"
    >
    > Can anybody help.

    I found this one. I doesn't use vegetable soup though. Take a look see:

    http://www.recipeland.com/recipe/31156/

    Michael

    --
    "The most remarkable thing about my mother is that for thirty years she
    served the family nothing but leftovers. The original meal has never been

    --Calvin Trillin