Camping gaz stove canisters in Europe

blackbird05

Dec 6, 2004
Hi folks, I've been researching camp stoves to use in Europe during our bike tour, and I've settled on the Camping Gaz/Gaz Bleue brand, since it's apparently reliable and efficient, and canisters should be available everywhere in Europe. Apparently there are a number of different types of canisters though, each with adapters to a different kind of stove. I'd hate to buy a stove, only to find that it doesn't work on any of the commonly available canisters. Have any of you toured anywhere in Euorpe and seen what kind of Camping Gaz canisters are most common in supermarkets and such? I'd very much appreciate your help!
Cheers!

blackbird05 said:
Hi folks, I've been researching camp stoves to use in Europe during our bike tour, and I've settled on the Camping Gaz/Gaz Bleue brand, since it's apparently reliable and efficient, and canisters should be available everywhere in Europe. Apparently there are a number of different types of canisters though, each with adapters to a different kind of stove. I'd hate to buy a stove, only to find that it doesn't work on any of the commonly available canisters. Have any of you toured anywhere in Euorpe and seen what kind of Camping Gaz canisters are most common in supermarkets and such? I'd very much appreciate your help!
Cheers!
I took a MSR white gas stove over to Europe for a bike tour and never used it ,,I could not find any white gas ,, I did noice those butane canisters around a few countries .... Europe is not so wilderness as North America and there are campgrounds everywhere with kitchen stoves ,pots ,dishes , hot showers etc.. especially in France,,,

the price of these type of camping items is more or less the same as in North America so you would probably be best to buy one over there ,if you find that you need it,, I travelled for 6 months and never needed a stove

good luck from BlueTwo

Thanks BlueTwo:) I expected campsites to have washrooms and the like, but never expected stoves! I'll follow your advice and check what they have available over there, and buy a stove when I need one.

blackbird05 said:
Cheers!

The 206 is probably most common (and cheapest), followed by the 270. I own both, but only take the 206 with on tours for my cooker.

I cycled for three months in northern Europe last summer - camping about two months of that. I originally picked up a camp stove in suburban Paris that used the little cannisters that in France were 3 for two euros. Then I got to England and when I could find the same little cannisters, they were sometimes as much as 3 pounds each. That stove was eventually left behind in an english campground. I ended up buying an MSR whisper-lite and using easily found petrol/gas after that. It was much less head-ache and much more economical in the long run. Cleaned properly, the stove and cannister/fuel bottle can also be transported by air. I didn't find cooking facilities at that many campsites. There were some in some places, but I would recommend bringing your own stove. One cool thing that was available and if you're touring with others would be good value on occaission, was little mini-barbecue kits - good for one use. Nice to cook something on the grill now and then.

wojo said:
I cycled for three months in northern Europe last summer - camping about two months of that. I originally picked up a camp stove in suburban Paris that used the little cannisters that in France were 3 for two euros. Then I got to England and when I could find the same little cannisters, they were sometimes as much as 3 pounds each. That stove was eventually left behind in an english campground. I ended up buying an MSR whisper-lite and using easily found petrol/gas after that. It was much less head-ache and much more economical in the long run. Cleaned properly, the stove and cannister/fuel bottle can also be transported by air. I didn't find cooking facilities at that many campsites. There were some in some places, but I would recommend bringing your own stove. One cool thing that was available and if you're touring with others would be good value on occaission, was little mini-barbecue kits - good for one use. Nice to cook something on the grill now and then.
I remember those one time babeque grills ,they were lots of fun..