Camping in Paris

Bealey

Guest
Me and my mate are thinking of trying to get to Paris for the prologue of the TDF. When it started
in Dunkirk we got a ferry from Dover on the Sat morning at about 3am and were lucky to find a
campsite between Calais and Dunkirk. We then saw the prologue and some of the race next day before
catching a ferry back on the sunday night.

We were hoping to do something similar this year. Again we were hoping to take our bikes on a ferry
then to catch a train to Paris and maybe camp somewhere near overnight.

Is anyone else doing something similar? If so, have you any suggestions? What are the inevitable
logistical nightmares ahead?

In 1988 I camped in the outskirts Paris at the YHA and I saw Delgado win his first tour on the
Champs Elysee , the name escapes me now, could have been Choissy-Le-Roi, it was near Orly Airport
and very close to a station from where one could get a train to Paris. I took a train from London
(no Chunnel in those days) to Gare du Nord (via Dover, Calais) then to the campsite.

"Bealey" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Me and my mate are thinking of trying to get to Paris for the prologue of the TDF. When it started
> in Dunkirk we got a ferry from Dover on the Sat morning at about 3am and were lucky to find a
> campsite between Calais and Dunkirk. We then saw the prologue and some of the race next day before
> catching a ferry back on the sunday night.
>
> We were hoping to do something similar this year. Again we were hoping to take our bikes on a
> ferry then to catch a train to Paris and maybe camp somewhere near overnight.
>
> Is anyone else doing something similar? If so, have you any suggestions? What are the inevitable
> logistical nightmares ahead?

> > We were hoping to do something similar this year. Again we were hoping to take our bikes on a
> > ferry then to catch a train to Paris and maybe camp somewhere near overnight.
> >
> > Is anyone else doing something similar? If so, have you any suggestions? What are the inevitable
> > logistical nightmares ahead?

You cannot takes bikes on most French trains unless they go ahead in boxes. Better off getting a
plane if going non stop to Paris. There was a nice campsite in the Bois de Boulogne, near to the
Longchamp racecourse. That was 1980: might be a nuclear power station now.

"martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > > We were hoping to do something similar this year. Again we were hoping
> > > take our bikes on a ferry then to catch a train to Paris and maybe
camp
> > > somewhere near overnight.
> > >
> > > Is anyone else doing something similar? If so, have you any
suggestions?

There
> was a nice campsite in the Bois de Boulogne, near to the Longchamp racecourse. That was 1980:
> might be a nuclear power station now.

It was still there in 1989..... and a quick check in the Rough Guide says it still is. I was there
in August and it was very busy. RG suggests booking in advance. I imagine if the Tour is in town
this is even more advisable. There are two other sites listed but it says they are "some way out of
town." Camping du Bois de Boulogne - tel: 0145243000 Office du Tourisme - tel: 0149525354

tony R.