Camping in Paris

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Bealey, May 4, 2003.

  1. Bealey

    Bealey Guest

    Me and my mate are thinking of trying to get to Paris for the prologue of the TDF. When it started
    in Dunkirk we got a ferry from Dover on the Sat morning at about 3am and were lucky to find a
    campsite between Calais and Dunkirk. We then saw the prologue and some of the race next day before
    catching a ferry back on the sunday night.

    We were hoping to do something similar this year. Again we were hoping to take our bikes on a ferry
    then to catch a train to Paris and maybe camp somewhere near overnight.

    Is anyone else doing something similar? If so, have you any suggestions? What are the inevitable
    logistical nightmares ahead?

    Tags:

  2. M Series

    M Series Guest

    In 1988 I camped in the outskirts Paris at the YHA and I saw Delgado win his first tour on the
    Champs Elysee , the name escapes me now, could have been Choissy-Le-Roi, it was near Orly Airport
    and very close to a station from where one could get a train to Paris. I took a train from London
    (no Chunnel in those days) to Gare du Nord (via Dover, Calais) then to the campsite.

    "Bealey" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Me and my mate are thinking of trying to get to Paris for the prologue of the TDF. When it started
    > in Dunkirk we got a ferry from Dover on the Sat morning at about 3am and were lucky to find a
    > campsite between Calais and Dunkirk. We then saw the prologue and some of the race next day before
    > catching a ferry back on the sunday night.
    >
    > We were hoping to do something similar this year. Again we were hoping to take our bikes on a
    > ferry then to catch a train to Paris and maybe camp somewhere near overnight.
    >
    > Is anyone else doing something similar? If so, have you any suggestions? What are the inevitable
    > logistical nightmares ahead?

  3. Martin

    Martin Guest

    > > We were hoping to do something similar this year. Again we were hoping to take our bikes on a
    > > ferry then to catch a train to Paris and maybe camp somewhere near overnight.
    > >
    > > Is anyone else doing something similar? If so, have you any suggestions? What are the inevitable
    > > logistical nightmares ahead?

    You cannot takes bikes on most French trains unless they go ahead in boxes. Better off getting a
    plane if going non stop to Paris. There was a nice campsite in the Bois de Boulogne, near to the
    Longchamp racecourse. That was 1980: might be a nuclear power station now.

  4. Tony R

    Tony R Guest

    "martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:6398dc76.0305041621.20588d[email protected]...
    > > > We were hoping to do something similar this year. Again we were hoping
    > > > take our bikes on a ferry then to catch a train to Paris and maybe
    camp
    > > > somewhere near overnight.
    > > >
    > > > Is anyone else doing something similar? If so, have you any
    suggestions?

    There
    > was a nice campsite in the Bois de Boulogne, near to the Longchamp racecourse. That was 1980:
    > might be a nuclear power station now.

    It was still there in 1989..... and a quick check in the Rough Guide says it still is. I was there
    in August and it was very busy. RG suggests booking in advance. I imagine if the Tour is in town
    this is even more advisable. There are two other sites listed but it says they are "some way out of
    town." Camping du Bois de Boulogne - tel: 0145243000 Office du Tourisme - tel: 0149525354

    tony R.