Camping Stove fuelled by domestic heating oil?

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by [email protected], Sep 8, 2005.

  1. I'm looking for a camping stove I could fuel with domestic heating oil.
    Has anyone done this? - any recommendations? Thanks, Emma

    Tags:

  2. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > I'm looking for a camping stove I could fuel with domestic heating oil.
    > Has anyone done this? - any recommendations? Thanks, Emma

    To some extent it depends on exactly what your heating oil is. Some is
    pretty much paraffin/kerosene and accordingly runs happily on stoves
    that burn this (friends run old Primus paraffin stoves on their heating
    oil, I've run a Primus MFS on their heating oil).

    Beyond that, an MSR X-GK or Primus Omnifuel will both probably burn just
    about any sort of heating oil, though you may wish to double check with
    Primus and MSR first.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

  3. AJH

    AJH Guest

    On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 21:21:11 +0100, Roger <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >IIRC (which is doubtful) there are 2 grades of domestic heating oil
    >which are effectively paraffin and diesel

    28 second heating oil and 35 second gasoil. The number relates to the
    time it takes for a given amount to fall through a specified hole.

    >but these days most systems
    >use the heavier grade.

    I thought it was the other way around, I only see the red 35 second
    stuff being used in tractors and the big pressure jet burners in
    larger installations.

    I think what we know as paraffin is somewhere between petrol and
    heating oil.

    So from high to low viscosity we would have a series like:

    gasoil aka diesel -> Heating oil -> kerosene (jet fuel)-> paraffin ->
    petrol

    NB beware mixing different types to try and get intermediate results,
    the mixture still acts as the individual constituents, i.e mixing
    diesel and petrol still give explosive petrol vapours.

    AJH

  4. Roger

    Roger Guest

    The message <[email protected]>
    from Peter Clinch <[email protected]> contains these words:

    > > I'm looking for a camping stove I could fuel with domestic heating oil.
    > > Has anyone done this? - any recommendations? Thanks, Emma

    > To some extent it depends on exactly what your heating oil is. Some is
    > pretty much paraffin/kerosene and accordingly runs happily on stoves
    > that burn this (friends run old Primus paraffin stoves on their heating
    > oil, I've run a Primus MFS on their heating oil).

    > Beyond that, an MSR X-GK or Primus Omnifuel will both probably burn just
    > about any sort of heating oil, though you may wish to double check with
    > Primus and MSR first.

    IIRC (which is doubtful) there are 2 grades of domestic heating oil
    which are effectively paraffin and diesel but these days most systems
    use the heavier grade. One of these days I must try and run my (leaking)
    paraffin Primus on red diesel just to see if it is possible, but first I
    must get some meths.

    --
    Roger Chapman so far this year 53 summits
    New - 27 (Marilyns 13, Nuttalls 5, Outlying Fells 10)

  5. compo

    compo Guest

    The message <[email protected]>
    from AJH <[email protected]> contains these words:

    > NB beware mixing different types to try and get intermediate results,
    > the mixture still acts as the individual constituents,

    What if one mixes 28s heating oil with diesel? Could this fuel a diesel
    car engine?

    --
    Cheers,
    Compo - "Desert Storm was a stirring victory for the forces of

    --
    Cheers,
    Compo - "Desert Storm was a stirring victory for the forces of
    aggression and lawlessness." (Dan Quayle, vice president)

  6. Bitstring <[email protected]>, from the wonderful
    person compo <[email protected]> said
    >The message <[email protected]>
    >from AJH <[email protected]> contains these words:
    >
    >> NB beware mixing different types to try and get intermediate results,
    >> the mixture still acts as the individual constituents,

    >What if one mixes 28s heating oil with diesel? Could this fuel a diesel
    >car engine?

    Not sure there's any need to mix it, I believe you can run many, if not
    all, diesels on 28 second heating oil. Illegal of course (for road use).

    --
    GSV Three Minds in a Can

  7. Chris Street

    Chris Street Guest

    On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 23:04:49 +0100, compo wrote:

    > The message <[email protected]>
    > from AJH <[email protected]> contains these words:
    >
    >> NB beware mixing different types to try and get intermediate results,
    >> the mixture still acts as the individual constituents,

    > What if one mixes 28s heating oil with diesel? Could this fuel a diesel
    > car engine?

    Not legally and you will wreck the injection pump as it doesn't have
    sufficient lubricity without the relevant additives.

  8. Nick Mason

    Nick Mason Guest

    GSV Three Minds in a Can wrote:
    > Bitstring <[email protected]>, from the wonderful
    > person compo <[email protected]> said
    >
    >> The message <[email protected]>
    >> from AJH <[email protected]> contains these words:
    >>
    >>> NB beware mixing different types to try and get intermediate results,
    >>> the mixture still acts as the individual constituents,

    >> What if one mixes 28s heating oil with diesel? Could this fuel a diesel
    >> car engine?

    > Not sure there's any need to mix it, I believe you can run many, if not
    > all, diesels on 28 second heating oil. Illegal of course (for road use).

    Some engines are better suited, VW and Merc engines are good for this,
    they'll run on almost anything. They are designed to do this as fuel
    quality in some parts of the world is questionable.

    Most people who use heating oil tend to mix it 50/50 with diesel for
    two reasons, it provides a bit of lubrication and the also have recent
    duty paid fuel receipts to show customs and excise if required.

    Others simply mix a little engine oil in with the heating oil to
    provide a bit of lube.

    People are also using vegetable oil and home brew bio diesel, there
    are loads of web pages dedicated to it.

    When I was a kid I remember regularly seeing C&E dipping tanks in the
    car parks at agricultural shows and on cattle market days, looking for
    farmers running on red. I haven't seen that for years. I suspect that
    like everything else the govt has cut back on staff and rely more on
    the inherent honesty of the public and the fear that there's a C&E man
    lurking behind every bush.

    I've even seen cars openly filling up with red at boatyards.

    --
    Regards

    Nick

  9. The message <[email protected]>
    from Nick Mason <[email protected]> contains these words:

    > When I was a kid I remember regularly seeing C&E dipping tanks in the
    > car parks at agricultural shows and on cattle market days, looking for
    > farmers running on red. I haven't seen that for years.

    They do it regularly in the north of Scotland. My tank was dipped in
    Inverness last year and I saw customs dipping at the Cromarty Firth
    bridge last week. According to the "Scottish Farmer" magazine they are
    having a purge throughout Scotland just now.

    --
    Cheers,
    Compo - "Desert Storm was a stirring victory for the forces of
    aggression and lawlessness." (Dan Quayle, vice president)

  10. Andy Howell

    Andy Howell Guest

    On 8/9/05 12:52, in article
    [email protected], "[email protected]"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I'm looking for a camping stove I could fuel with domestic heating oil.
    > Has anyone done this? - any recommendations? Thanks, Emma

    The MSR Dragonfly, and multi fuel stoves from Primus and Nova may well be
    able to cope.

    --
    Andy Howell
    Birmingham, UK

    To mail simply put back the dots ...

  11. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Andy Howell wrote:

    > The MSR Dragonfly, and multi fuel stoves from Primus and Nova may well be
    > able to cope.

    If it's basically diesel I doubt the Dragonfly would manage. The X-GK
    should be okay, don't know about Novas. The old Primus MFS (the "Mk 1"
    of the current Omnifuel) won't manage diesel as it doesn't burn hot
    enough, though the LFS and Omnifuel will both manage Diesel. Having
    said that, I wouldn't want to run a stove on diesel unless there was no
    other choice because it needs a *lot* of priming and is basically nasty
    stuff. Paraffin's okay, but diesel is sufficiently hard to get going
    that it reaches the point where saving a bit of money becomes not really
    worth it...

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

  12. "Peter Clinch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Andy Howell wrote:
    >
    >> The MSR Dragonfly, and multi fuel stoves from Primus and Nova may well be
    >> able to cope.

    > If it's basically diesel I doubt the Dragonfly would manage. The X-GK
    > should be okay, don't know about Novas. The old Primus MFS (the "Mk 1" of
    > the current Omnifuel) won't manage diesel as it doesn't burn hot enough,
    > though the LFS and Omnifuel will both manage Diesel. Having said that, I
    > wouldn't want to run a stove on diesel unless there was no other choice
    > because it needs a *lot* of priming and is basically nasty stuff.
    > Paraffin's okay, but diesel is sufficiently hard to get going that it
    > reaches the point where saving a bit of money becomes not really worth
    > it...
    >
    > Pete.
    > --
    > Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    > Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    > Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    > net [email protected] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

    The Dragonfly will burn diesel - I have one.

    All that is required is a change in the jet from the white gas nozzle. The
    alternate jet is supplied with the stove.

    You can check out the specs through the Cascade Designs web site at
    http://www.cascadedesigns.com

    Bill

  13. Andy Howell

    Andy Howell Guest

    On 16/10/05 01:45, in article [email protected], "Bill
    Brabender" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > The Dragonfly will burn diesel - I have one.
    >
    > All that is required is a change in the jet from the white gas nozzle. The
    > alternate jet is supplied with the stove.

    The Dragonfly copes pretty well with alterative fuel. I've used it with
    kerosene and with diesel.

    One tip. When you buy your Dragonfly, unscrew the jet and replace it making
    sure that the jet isn't too tight - this will ensure that you never have
    any problems changing the jet. I once had a Dragonfly where I only needed to
    change the jet after a couple of years use. The jet screw was almost welded
    to the stove and I wasn't able to get it loose despite playing with all
    kinds of oils and solvents.

    --
    Andy Howell
    Birmingham, UK

    To mail simply put back the dots ...

  14. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Bill Brabender wrote:

    > The Dragonfly will burn diesel - I have one.
    >
    > All that is required is a change in the jet from the white gas nozzle. The
    > alternate jet is supplied with the stove.

    I stand corrected... though will add that diesel is probably not a great
    fuel unless you've no realistic choice as it needs considerably more
    priming than alternatives, needs to burn very hot and is basically
    'orrible stuff (even more so than paraffin).

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

  15. Andy Howell

    Andy Howell Guest

    On 17/10/05 08:49, in article [email protected], "Peter Clinch"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I stand corrected... though will add that diesel is probably not a great
    > fuel unless you've no realistic choice as it needs considerably more
    > priming than alternatives, needs to burn very hot and is basically
    > 'orrible stuff (even more so than paraffin).

    Diesel has the advantage that you can find it almost anywhere. It does smell
    a bit but it burns OK in the Dragonfly. On the continent it is fairly easy
    to buy a variety of fuels that are suitable for mobile fires. These are
    somewhere between kerosene and white gas and only smell a little. It is very
    unusual to be able to not find something that will not burn in a Dragonfly.

    --
    Andy Howell
    Birmingham, UK

    To mail simply put back the dots ...

  16. "Peter Clinch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Bill Brabender wrote:
    >
    >> The Dragonfly will burn diesel - I have one.
    >>
    >> All that is required is a change in the jet from the white gas nozzle.
    >> The alternate jet is supplied with the stove.

    > I stand corrected... though will add that diesel is probably not a great
    > fuel unless you've no realistic choice as it needs considerably more
    > priming than alternatives, needs to burn very hot and is basically
    > 'orrible stuff (even more so than paraffin).
    >
    > Pete.
    > --
    > Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    > Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    > Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    > net [email protected] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

    Agreed - paraffin (kerosene) is horrible stuff and diesel is probably
    worse - get it on your hands and you stink for days.

    Bill

  17. Andy Howell

    Andy Howell Guest

    On 24/10/05 01:00, in article [email protected], "Bill
    Brabender" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Agreed - paraffin (kerosene) is horrible stuff and diesel is probably
    > worse - get it on your hands and you stink for days.

    True, but when it's the only fuel you can get you'll forgive it all that!