campsite theft ...worry/not worry?

jerseyrider

Mar 16, 2005
I hate bringing this up but I have never camped at a campsite before and I need to know what is the best thing to do. If I get to a campsite in the morning or early afternoon and setup camp is it ok to leave my panniers and other stuff in the tent while I go out. I may want to check out the town on foot or something. What is best practice. Should I carry my panniers with me at all times? The bike is easy. I would just take the front wheel off and chain it to the back wheel and frame. But what do I do with my panniers and other packed stuff?

Thanks. This board is great!

People (bikers or car campers) typically leave their cooking equipment, coolers, tablecloths and associated boxes on the picnic table or nearby. Also folding chairs, etc. are usually left out in the open. Unless your campground is next to an urban area, you should not expect anyone to come onto your campsite. There are always exceptions, but all in all, it's a pretty trustworthy bunch who frequent campsites. I've always felt comfortable stowing my panniers in the tent, and taking with me only the valuables and other must-not-lose items. Don't stow food in the tent, though, or you'll likely return to find you've had critter visitors.

As for the bike, when I feel I need to lock it, I pass the cable through the frame and both wheels, rather than removing the front wheel, and around a tree or part of the picnic table.

Just match your security measures to the situation. It's natural to worry at first, but after you've camped a good bit, plain common sense will take over and you'll seldom worry anymore.

Lew