Campus Commuter Search

TrevorX3

Mar 31, 2014
I'm looking to replace my Raleigh roadbike. My trip to campus is about 3 miles, but I'd like the ability to ride throughout town and campus.

Some factors I'm considering while looking at bikes:
I love the agility of my roadbike (the acceleration and cornering, especially).
I like dropbars and brifters in general but it's not a requirement
Most roadbikes have a posture that is too extreme for me. However, I wouldn't mind a good mixture of performance/comfort. I'm currently riding my roadbike as a commuter and it's no problem but I wouldn't mind a slightly more relaxed posture.
I don't mind a harsh-ride, especially if it means better efficiency.
The bike has to be durable and longlasting.
There are some potholes in the area and I've gotten quite a few flats on my roadbike so I'd like to avoid that if possible.
I would like to be able to keep up with group rides of 20-30 miles if possible.
I don't feel the need to apply any fenders or racks on my bike. Everything I carry is in my backpack.

The idea of a cyclocross bike appeals to me quite a bit, but I've noticed that a few that I've ridden lack the efficiency and agility I'm looking for (perhaps due mostly to the tires, which I guess could be changed). I wouldn't mind the ability to hit up some simpler MTB trails and gravel roads although this would definitely be a somewhat rarer experience.
A friend of mine pointed me towards touring bicycles, but they seem heavy.

I've test ridden a Giant Revolt 1 which I found nice except for the fact it was a bit sluggish in acceleration and cornering. Also, it was a very harsh/jarring ride which I found incredibly surprising since I'm very indifferent to harshness normally but this was quite excessive.

My budget: up to $1400 maximum. Cheaper is never a problem. I'd like to know some of my best options in each of the following price ranges if it's possible: 500-800, 800-1000, 1000-1400.

Thanks in advance, I greatly appreciate any help possibly in my search for my next bike.

FWIW. Because you say that you like the way your Raleigh handles, but that you would like "a slightly more relaxed posture" then why don't you simply adjust the handlebars, accordingly, with either a new (shorter-and/or-taller) stem OR a hi-rise adapter? BTW. Avoiding potholes is the same with any bike ... it's up to the rider.

BTW. If you feel compelled to buying a new bike, then you may want to look at the JAMIS CODA line of bikes as a basis for comparison ...
  • ... the price range for the CODA model line varies according to components from just under $600 for the version with a steel frame & V-brakes (the one which 'I' would choose since it would be simple enough to update in the future to suit MY preferences) to about 2x that amount if you want disc brakes, etc. attached to a non-steel frame.
'I' consider the CODA model line to be more-or-less comparable to a Cyclocross bike with a FLAT handlebar ... There are similar bikes in other brands (I just never bothered looking at them ... ). REDLINE's CX bike frame is considered to be a great to build an all-around bike by many. I think it was COLORADO CYCLIST who used to carry them ... if not, then it might have been EXCEL ...
  • It may be worth checking BOTH Colorado Cyclist AND Excel, BTW, to use as reference or to buy from.

My Raleigh is damaged due to some vandalism. LBS recommended looking at new bikes as the replacement parts and repair cost would be fairly high.

I wouldn't even consider changing the posture of the Raleigh. It's fine, I was just stating that information for my future considerations.

HMMmmm ...

Well, I guess the question is "How much damage was done when your bike was vandalized?"

Specifically, what was damaged?

I presume that you still have the bike ...

AND, are YOU capable of any DIY work which involves the dexterity typically required to remove the cap from a pickle jar ... and then, replacing it?

BTW. If you have a before-and/or-after picture of your bike, then post it.