campy 10 and low ratio double chainsets

Mark

Guest
Hi all, I am building a new bike up and wanted to combine 10 speed campy with a 28-42 double
chainset, I had thought to use Stronglight cranks but from a previous post it appears there is a
potential problem of wedging the chain between the chainrings has anyone an alternative suggestion
(but keeping the above combination)

Thanks, Mark

I don't believe that the chain will surf or wedge with that large a drop. It happens more when the
chainring numbers are closer. You always could use a Shimano 9sp chain.

The problem is what front derailleur will you use? The Campy front doubles work ok with 48t cog but
need some grinding on to be smooth with a 46.

Consider a triple or 48/34 double with the 13/29 x 10 sp cassette.

On Tue, 11 Mar 2003 22:42:54 +0000 (UTC), "Mark" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Hi all, I am building a new bike up and wanted to combine 10 speed campy with a 28-42 double
>chainset, I had thought to use Stronglight cranks but from a previous post it appears there is a
>potential problem of wedging the chain between the chainrings has anyone an alternative suggestion
>(but keeping the above combination)
>
>Thanks, Mark

"Mark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi all, I am building a new bike up and wanted to combine 10 speed campy with a 28-42 double
> chainset, I had thought to use Stronglight cranks but from a previous post it appears there is a
> potential problem of wedging the chain between the chainrings has anyone an alternative suggestion
> (but keeping
the
> above combination)

That was my error. I was thinking of a vintage Stronglight model not the newer ones. Sorry.

"Paul Kopit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> I don't believe that the chain will surf or wedge with that large a drop. It happens more when the
> chainring numbers are closer. You always could use a Shimano 9sp chain.
>
> The problem is what front derailleur will you use? The Campy front doubles work ok with 48t cog
> but need some grinding on to be smooth with a 46.
>
> Consider a triple or 48/34 double with the 13/29 x 10 sp cassette.

Thanks, I had planned on using a 13/29 ! I have been making a note of the ratios I use both for
commuting and audax (including an SR series) and the
42/28 - 13/29 covers all my needs. I will continue to use a triple
(42/1/1) if there is no alternative however much of my cycling is in an area with lots of short
sharp hills and this, coupled with being a bit brainless after a few hundred kms at night
has me thinking that a double would be a better option.

I suppose the next question as you say, is which front derailler?

Mark

Paul Kopit <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> The problem is what front derailleur will you use? The Campy front doubles work ok with 48t cog
> but need some grinding on to be smooth with a 46.
>
> Consider a triple or 48/34 double with the 13/29 x 10 sp cassette.

The new low-ratio TA (Zephyr Light) and Stronglight (Granfondo) chainsets would appear to be a good
choice; the TA one certainly comes in a format suitable for the extra-narrow 10sp. chain.

David E. Belcher

Dept. of Chemistry, University of York

mark-<< I am building a new bike up and wanted to combine 10 speed campy with a 28-42
double chainset,

<< I had thought to use Stronglight cranks but from a previous post it appears there is a potential
problem of wedging the chain between the chainrings has anyone an alternative suggestion (but
keeping the above combination)

Just use them and when shifting from the big ring to small, jujst ease up on the pedal pressure a
wee bit(as ya should do anyway) and you won't cram the chain between the rings or-use a shimano 9s
chain..like the 105 version-

On Wed, 12 Mar 2003 08:39:09 +0000 (UTC), "Mark" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Thanks, I had planned on using a 13/29 ! I have been making a note of the ratios I use both for
>commuting and audax (including an SR series) and the
>42/28 - 13/29 covers all my needs. I will continue to use a triple
>(46/36/26) if there is no alternative however much of my cycling is in an area with lots of short
> sharp hills and this, coupled with being a bit brainless after a few hundred kms at
> night has me thinking that a double would be a better option.
>
>I suppose the next question as you say, is which front derailler?

I don't know the solution. If you have a Campy Triple cranks, you can try mounting only the middle
and small ring. You can size the bottom bracket so that the middle ring sits in the same place as
the big ring used to be. The camp triple front derailleur might work fine. It's difficult for me to
see how you can do an SR series and could not benefit from than a 42/13.