Campy 10 on Powertap Pro

M. DeKelver

Mar 7, 2005
I am looking to buy a Powertap for my program. The equipment will be shared around, so will need to run shimano 9/10 and Campagnolo 9/10 systems.

Tall order?

Whose conversion cassettes does Cyclops sell, and are these 10 speed? Can I use another manufacturer's conversion cassettes?

If I buy an SL, can I simply swap freehubs (assuming that this is simple, and I can obtain anothe freehub) back and forth?

Any experience appreciated.

I have used the wheels manufacturing conversion cassette which is a rebuilt and respaced ultegra - worked fine after initial setup. I think this is what Cyclops spec. You could swap out cassette easily. Not sure how easy free hub swap on SL is but having used both I can tell you the SL is a far better product IMO and if you build it into a decent light weight rim you will not even know it is there and will therefore use it much more frequently.

Peter

Agree with PeterW on this one.

I am in the same boat as you with Shimano and Campy bikes (along with a bunch of Shimano freehub wheelsets). I would suggest just getting the conversion cassettes rather than swapping the freehub -- which you can do on the SL without too much hassle. The conversion cassettes are quicker than a freehub swap plus, if you have other Shimano wheels that you would like to use with your Campy drivetrain, the cassettes obviously work there as well. You've got to play with the shims that are provided with the cassettes to fine tune the distance between the large cog carrier and the spokes, but it works good.

The two main conversion cassettes (that I know about) for Shimano wheels to Campy drivetrain are Wheels Manu. and American Classic. Make sure that you don't get the American Classic conversion cassette. It won't work with PT.

M. DeKelver said:
I am looking to buy a Powertap for my program. The equipment will be shared around, so will need to run shimano 9/10 and Campagnolo 9/10 systems.
Hey M, I'm scouring all past posts re. the same problem you were having. What have you decided and has it worked for you?
Thanks.