Campy 10-sp barend shifters also downtube compatible?

"LeTour" Co. in Canada makes an adapter that allows you to convert
barcons to downtube shifters. Its specifically designed to convert
campagnolo shifters.

http://www.branfordbike.com/brake/brk03.html

To the best of my knowledge the only OEM manufacturer to ever make
downtube and barcon paddles of the same LENGTH is campagnolo with
their retrofriction shifters of the late 1980's.

For example :

Huret, Simplex, and Suntour paddles were always shorter and wider.
Campagnolo paddles were shorter up until the late 1980's when the
Campy retro friction shifters came out.

To the best of my knowledge the shifter pods for barcons are nothing
more than a downtube mount in an expandable plug. This might be
because some of the tooling and dies for downtube paddle production
could also be used for barcon paddle production.

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA

On 12 Sep 2005 10:47:40 -0700, [email protected] (Donald Gillies) wrote:

>"LeTour" Co. in Canada makes an adapter that allows you to convert
>barcons to downtube shifters. Its specifically designed to convert
>campagnolo shifters.
>
> http://www.branfordbike.com/brake/brk03.html
>
>To the best of my knowledge the only OEM manufacturer to ever make
>downtube and barcon paddles of the same LENGTH is campagnolo with
>their retrofriction shifters of the late 1980's.
>
>For example :
>
>Huret, Simplex, and Suntour paddles were always shorter and wider.

Which ones were wider, barcon or DT?

>Campagnolo paddles were shorter up until the late 1980's when the
>Campy retro friction shifters came out.
>
>To the best of my knowledge the shifter pods for barcons are nothing
>more than a downtube mount in an expandable plug. This might be
>because some of the tooling and dies for downtube paddle production
>could also be used for barcon paddle production.

The Dura Ace seem to be pretty much the same shifter, except with a
different handle. That also seems to be what that Le Tour conversion kit
(Incidentally, can't manage to google that company up direct) for Campy
is, mainly two new handles that replace the original handles while keeping
the rest of the shifters.

Jasper